Known Beta issues

WILDFIRE

@BossWeapons: I personally like the overwatch cones, because I am a fan of animated/lively stuff. Also it shows really directly in detail what area is supervised but I know what you mean. In generell I also like more reduced UI elements so that you can enjoy the detailed maps and that you feel immersed in the game world. So they could turn some effect maybe a little bit down.

@Solaris_Wave: When I look at this really detailed weapon modification menu I think its sad that you can upgrade your weapon in detail but the specific scopes are not visible on the battlefield. I know it is some extra work but it will improve the immersion a lot when you aim with the scope that you installed before. Some basic crosshairs for every weapon category is better than nothing I guess. For more stuff we need the modding community.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

JA2 has very little in terms of visual noise, which is a good thing.

Yeah. There's very little in the game that in the way of indicators and other such things that pop out visually. I also like this approach. Less is more... well, at least in some cases.

5 hours ago, WILDFIRE said:

@BossWeapons: I personally like the overwatch cones, because I am a fan of animated/lively stuff. Also it shows really directly in detail what area is supervised but I know what you mean. In generell I also like more reduced UI elements so that you can enjoy the detailed maps and that you feel immersed in the game world. So they could turn some effect maybe a little bit down.

The effect really only begins to bother my eye when there are multiple overwatches overlapping eachother. Naturally it could feel completely different when you play yourself instead of just looking. The cone is fine, I just reaaaally dislike the extra effects in it (the hatched squares not withstanding)

Though, I'm fairly sure some of the overwatch footage I've seen looks the way it is because the effect is bugged. I don't think the pulsating glowy effect and the wavy-scan-detaily-looking thing is THAT horrible generally speaking, but the gameplay area gets really busy looking once you have a few dudes doing that.

Just to hammer in my point, this effect here is what I mean at 4:51. I think it's only supposed to play once per activation and not repeatedly like in this little clip here.

I understand what you mean. The visible arc readout looks okay in that video but it depends what happens if you are able to group select and see that display being shown by multiple mercs. I personally think it has been done successfully, however and things like the damage numbers being too big is what helps create more noise.

• Dead enemies really should be lootable. If Haemimont are concerned that it is a quick way to rapidly get better weapons without paying for them, there can be caveats to using such equipment. The weapons can be poorly maintained, especially if they were carried by basic enemies. The guns could be under 50% maintenance level, increasing likelihood of jamming or failure. The poor maintenance will also slightly reduce damage, accuracy and range. Ammo carried by fallen enemies can be limited in what is remaining, forcing you to scavenge in the beginning. Certain other items will most likely be damaged or destroyed due to taking fire from your mercs. This can mean that any available body armour might be worthless.

• Gunshots need to be louder. The Browning Hi-Power sounded fairly quiet and I could hear a sound effect of a ricochet or of a bullet passing through the air (maybe part of the same sound file as the gunshot?), which was just as loud. I know it is a 9mm Parabellum pistol but a slight increase in volume wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Headshot damage seems weak, even if the headshot I saw was 'only' from a 9mm round. Maybe it is just the Beta but the enemy took damage and nothing else happened. I think that any headshot that doesn't kill or is absorbed by armour (helmet and/or face plate) should affect the target with additional effects, whether it is being stunned or a penalty to attributes. Also, there should be a possibility to incapacitate the target. The chance should be there where they end up unconscious.

• I have said this before from my own experiences when playing JA2 and I will say it again. Body part aiming needs restrictions. There needs to be a situation where body part aiming is only allowed at close ranges, or with a scope and a high enough skill. Also, the target cannot be running. Any other situation just lets you choose the target and the hit location is random. The torso has the greatest chance of being hit, followed by the arms and legs, then the head, hands and feet. There needs to be a lesser chance of hitting the head anyway, especially as it causes the most damage and almost any hit there, if unarmoured, will cause penalties for the target's health and abilities. I was watching the video and all the way through, he just chose the head, when shooting a gun. Yes, there were misses but overall it was the sensible area to target. If you can freely and easily target the head all the time, why choose any other part of the body? You will always kill your target quicker that way.
  • Like 3

I am still concerned about the art style of JA3. I do not like the design of Emma Lafontaine. The voice does not fit her design and she is not really appealing to me. Emma is one of the main characters and she looks like a random NPC. I think she could look a little bit more special and beautiful.

To make something clear she do not has to be a super model but she just do not look like an important main character to me. I know this is subjective but when I hear her voice I think about Vicky and not Emma. Strangely in the intro of JA3 when I just hear her voice I see the face of Vicky in my head and I am confused when her face in the conversations is than totally different.

NPCs like Father Tooker are so over the top, cartoony/colorful and Far Cry like that I can not take these characters serious anymore. So please devs rework those characters and the mercs that are too cartoony and colorful. Also maybe think about some voice acting decisions, because some voices do not fit the characters.

You can see Father Tooker at the 2 Hour mark(around) here:

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 5:20 PM, LoboNocturno said:

Even this screen "Personnel Manager" is missing where our merc stats are given how many enemies we killed, assisted, injured, hit % etc.... It was a screen i checked often back in JA2, after every few battles.

JA WF - Laptop Merc Stats.jpg

i never used that panel and i couldn't care less about it.
i like stats, but that's no dealbreaker for me. if they add it, nice.
if not, i don't care.

I want to clarify my example of Emma Lafontaine and Vicki more in detail, because it maybe sounded a little bit harsh or misleading. Both voices for each character are good and should stay as they are. I just wanted to describe that Emmas voice sounds like a mix of French and Jamaican to me so I think a character design that looks more like a Vicki type of character and less like the current Emma design would suit better.

But surely Vickis current design and voice that I saw and heard in the Announcement Trailer are good and suit her very well. Maybe just more military elements for her outfit would give her design a more believable look. In this case there is no change needed for the voices.

I only think that the character design for Emma Lafontaine could be improved so that she also looks more like a main character and less like a random NPC. Corazon Santiago for example looks really unique and special. Her voice is great by the way. I hope Emma also gets a more noticeable design, because right now she looks like a normal village person to me.(But her design is not bad in my opinion)

• Like 1

I was wondering about Emma LaFontaine myself. Her outfit didn't give me the impression that she was someone of significance. Maybe it was just the dress looking slightly plain. It could be that she is having to live in slightly more plain circumstances but I don't know how quick that would have happened. She must still have enough wealth to be able hire mercenaries.

Edited by Solaris_Wave

I was wondering how they could improve her look. I know of the clothing that is worn and the second picture looks more fancy in some ways. Maybe a little gold fleck could be added or make the colours of her dress a touch more vivid. Something that helps convey her presence through the computer monitor.

I'm happy to have I.M.P. in the game proper, but it needs some extra flavor; the character models and voices I've seen in the preview footage feel comparably generic to the A.I.M. mercs.  Even though JA2 had you make them the same way, those I.M.P.'s still had some character to them design and voice wise.  I think they even said that the current I.M.P.'s are made out of assets from the other mercs, and it shows.  Some wholecloth original designs for the I.M.P,'s would be welcome, even if it's something that'll likely be cosmetic DLC.

Also, the Legion mooks themselves need some unity across their designs and experience levels, something visual that's not just putting the 'Veteran' preface on their nameplate.  I know they've got more unique models for enemies in total but the Yellow-, Red-, Blackshirt system was elegantly simple and informative, and could just as well be applied here.  Olive drab for rookie foes, red for vets, and black and grey for the elites, or something similar. 

54 minutes ago, Luthghasgo said:

I'm happy to have I.M.P. in the game proper, but it needs some extra flavor; the character models and voices I've seen in the preview footage feel comparably generic to the A.I.M. mercs.  Even though JA2 had you make them the same way, those I.M.P.'s still had some character to them design and voice wise.  I think they even said that the current I.M.P.'s are made out of assets from the other mercs, and it shows.  Some wholecloth original designs for the I.M.P,'s would be welcome, even if it's something that'll likely be cosmetic DLC.

I am thinking that the I.M.P. creator will be fully fleshed out towards the end of development. It isn't as important as other things. Adding graphics and sound assets to the I.M.P. customisation shouldn't be too much of a job compared to everything else.

56 minutes ago, Luthghasgo said:

Also, the Legion mooks themselves need some unity across their designs and experience levels, something visual that's not just putting the 'Veteran' preface on their nameplate.  I know they've got more unique models for enemies in total but the Yellow-, Red-, Blackshirt system was elegantly simple and informative, and could just as well be applied here.  Olive drab for rookie foes, red for vets, and black and grey for the elites, or something similar.

I am hoping that those guys are the basic enemies. When you start making serious dents in the main antagonist's daily schedule of being a bastard, he will bring out a more coherent looking regular army, dressed in uniform. Then, he will also have access to his own mercenaries and Private Military Contractors to get rid of you for good.

For Emma Lafontaine a look without glasses and with open hair would suit her better in my opinion. She should be a character that is immediately recognizable on a movie or game poster.

Suggestions added to the list:

- Animations for a wounded status are needed for mercs and enemies

- All enemies should be lootable

- Icons that show where and what can be looted should be reduced or deleted

- A animated grabbing hand cursor (for loot) like in JA2 would be a nice addition

On 4/24/2023 at 11:46 AM, Hongweibing said:

Great idea, it's a bit difficult to separate personal preferences from actual issues that can and should be addressed, but I'd suggest the following:

Actual issues (I think):

- There should be an option to enter turn-based mode whenever you wish, and (possibly) make it the default once you spot an enemy (yes, I probably sound like a broken record by now, but since I don't think the repositioning round is going away, that might be the next best thing).

Personal preferences:

- Think about changing the inventory management system, making it more realistic/weight based, and reconsider having a shared ammo inventory (it's okay for repair parts and similar resources to be there, but having ammo there seems odd)

- If we won't have animated portraits (quite likely), perhaps it would be enough to adjust the portrait angles and tone down the smiles a bit. Not critical, either way.

- Add an option for less information displayed upon aiming (I know CTH may be controversial, but certainly removing the critical chance, damage and factors affecting CTH shouldn't be too hard/significantly affect the balance in the game)

- Any additional customization of combat deemed viable by the developers (see some suggestions in this topic) is welcome.

- Add Hamous to the game Consider adding more mercs in the future (preferably from the previous games), even if there's no chance of getting to the 60+ mercs of JA2 (or the 70 of DG), but even 5-10 more would add quite a bit of replay value to the game.

TRUUUE... I think MORE mercs are needed just because you will want to play with everyone eventualy and it will easily add more content to the game... I must sound like an idiot with this but I want more nationalities (Czech republic) 😉 XD I would like the addition of weak mercenaries to the game for cheap prices... like Biff and Flo in JA2 it was fun having them there just for mundane tasks and for fun... or sometimes when you geared Flo and trained her and then give her USP pistol and shoot some elite enemy to death with 2 DMG shots x100 times LOL yeah cheap lame and weak mercenaries would be great addition. FLORENCE GABRIEL (FLO) was the best merc to have fun with because she was so weak.. 😄 

25 minutes ago, Martin said:

I must sound like an idiot with this but I want more nationalities (Czech republic)

Bro u start to annoy me with your "more nationalities"... What u mean Czech nationality? White guy with Czech flag? Caucasian? Yes, they will do it, dont worry about that.