Enemies look too cartoony? too much masquerade?

Goliath

They do look kind of silly to me, but I'm expecting that as the game progressing, you will run into a different class of enemy soldiers who will wear a different outfit. Would love to see a more gritty, realistic uniform on those dudes.

But either way, there's no esthetic problem that modders can't fix. As long as the gameplay is good, this is a minor issue to me.

• Like 1

Some characters look a little bit over the top, but some are quite ok like Fauda or Grizzly. The JA2 portraits weren’t realistic either imo, grittier but had a certain artistic style also. Maybe they can tone down the colors or clothing choices a little on some mercs (but still keep individuality) and it would already be better. 

49 minutes ago, Lunokhod said:

Its not only about enemies.

/thread

Hilarious though you picked the worst character since there's a lore reason why he dresses funny. Personally I like the characters to look visually different. Making them all look the same is so boring and takes away a part of their persona.

Personally I would have toned down the clothing a bit, so I kind of agree with this topic. Doesn't bother me too much though, might even start to like it after playing it for a while, once I get to know the characters themselves.

• Like 1

I mean you can create believable colorful enemy militia without giving them these really unfitting tribal masks and color paintings. That cartoony design takes away so much atmosphere, because you can not take these enemies serious. Overall the art direction feels sometimes over the top and not grounded like the new Far Cry Games but JA2 was mostly gritty, realistic and serious.

• Like 3

On 5/17/2023 at 4:00 AM, WILDFIRE said:

I mean you can create believable colorful enemy militia without giving them these really unfitting tribal masks and color paintings. That cartoony design takes away so much atmosphere, because you can not take these enemies serious. Overall the art direction feels sometimes over the top and not grounded like the new Far Cry Games but JA2 was mostly gritty, realistic and serious.

Agree. 

Personally, I think not only enemies, but the whole UI looks a bit too cartoony (like Flashback and Rage. New mainstream?), not JA2-serious...

As for enemies, what I really want - discreate types of enemies. Like it was in JA2, yellow "easy", red "regular", black "elite". As someone already mentioned here, hopefully we just haven't seen enough of the gameplay))

Yes I still hope that the enemies will look more serious in the second half of the game. I guess this colorful cartoony art direction is there to please the mainstream audience. I prefer a darker and more realistic tone but I can live with the current direction.

• Like 1