If you had to pick your 3 fav weapons for JA3, what would those be?

GODSPEED

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 9:25 PM, Hendrix said:

I would like to suggest the developers (@Haemimont_Boian @Haemimont_Boyan) to check out Ian "Gun Jesus" MacCollum's awesome YouTube channel Forgotten Weapons (maybe you already know of it). I do not belive you can find a broader vault of information regarding all sorts of guns. Who knows, you might find something really cool over there for the game!

This Gun Jesus guy "Forgotten Weapons" may shows off the best details of the weapons (also lots of odd weapons) in slow pace but it can be really boring at times, he can make you fall asleep.

My favourite gunman on YouTube is "FPSRussia" he is explaining and practising the guns with real excitement, though he not posting on his successful YouTube channel anymore since 6 or 7 years but he is the most fun by far imo. Highly recommended for sure.

Also "Kalashnikov Group" is a top notch gun channel on YouTube (showing off mostly just Russian weapons though.)

• Confused 2

I also tend to weaponize my crew with the guns i think they are most familiar with. The rebel squad with Ira, Dimitri, Carlos, Miguel, Shank and Dynamo for example has to deal with soviet weapons (AK, SKS etc.), maybe even ww2 guns.

Considering this I came up with an idea: should every playable merc have a fav gun? one he excels with even more? maybe not a specific gun, but type of gun?

Not the MP5, but SMGs in general?

Should it be noted ingame or should it be kept a secret?

• Like 2

@LoboNocturno

Gun Jesus boring? You blasphemous heretic!

Just joking friend. 🍻

I understand his channel is not for everyone. Me being an mechanical and electrical engineer however I really enjoy seeing all these mechanical wonders and how they work or why they don't work. 😂

Interesting idea @cdg10. I would be for something like that, as long as the implementation wont limit what guns the mercs can use. Perhaps it could be the other way around aswell, that some mercs despise certain guns? Maybe a weapon familiarisation system could also be implemented? After all, the more you use a weapon the better you will perform with it.

• Haha 1

Have to add, that I also hate the class-based X-com system, in which several guns are restricted.

In JA2 it was obvious when somebody could handle a grenade launcher and somebody could not.

The skill-system in 1.13 does this very neat with the various traits. The Hunter/Ranger likes shotguns and bolty rifles, the Sniper can hold his breath (invest more TU in aiming) - I liked that very much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hendrix said:

@LoboNocturno

Gun Jesus boring? You blasphemous heretic!

Just joking friend. 🍻

I understand his channel is not for everyone. Me being an mechanical and electrical engineer however I really enjoy seeing all these mechanical wonders and how they work or why they don't work. 😂

Interesting idea @cdg10. I would be for something like that, as long as the implementation wont limit what guns the mercs can use. Perhaps it could be the other way around aswell, that some mercs despise certain guns? Maybe a weapon familiarisation system could also be implemented? After all, the more you use a weapon the better you will perform with it.

God forbid. 😇

When i said boring dont get me wrong didnt said bad or so but sometimes i got the feeling like he can take you to sleep but thats everyones own opinion, some like the more calm teller from A to Z with every single detail, some more the basics with more action & excitement which FPSRussia displays perfectly.

Also DemolitionRanch & nutnfancy are very good gun presenting YouTuber.

Furthermore the guns should also have health bars (condition meter) like back in JA2 but the guns should not get wrecked that quickly after 10 - 15 shots like in JA Rage. Guns getting jammed should be also happening once and while.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2022 at 11:35 AM, LoboNocturno said:

When i said boring dont get me wrong didnt said bad or so but sometimes i got the feeling like he can take you to sleep but thats everyones own opinion, some like the more calm teller from A to Z with every single detail, some more the basics with more action & excitement which FPSRussia displays perfectly.

Also DemolitionRanch & nutnfancy are very good gun presenting YouTuber.

Well, I'm no psychologist, but maybe this is where we can start seeing how everyone will enjoy different aspects of different content. You know, like between what one finds acceptable as "boring" or "action-packed" can have an effect on what you will want for the next game.

I think I am more laid-back. I like Forgotten Weapons, Hickock45, Paul Harrel, Iraqveteran8888, ...

I'm NOT saying they are better, but I prefer the way they bring us the information and the shooting, I see more of the type of personality I think I am with these Youtubers than others who are a little more entertaining and "explosive", like demolitionranch, fpsrussia, etc..

And I think this also shows in the way I will play my games. I enjoy taking all my sweet time in inventory management, thinking what weapon would this or that merc want to use, what kind of gear would make sense to give them. What vest would he or she wear, depending on the experiences they've had (I will put alot of roleplay into the equation).

Maybe JA2 is a more analytical and slow game compared to something like the modern xcom or Rage, that take you mission to mission quicker without having to deal too much with micr0-management in between?

Typing this just made me realize.. You see? I like to analyze things just to understand the reason of this or that.. and those Youtubers explain those types of things.

(Jeez, I should have become a psychologist or something! 🤣)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Haemimont_Boian said:

Thanks for the links! We've checked a lot of YouTubers during our research but it is good to know which ones resonate with you.

What do you think about Garand Thumb ?

Personally, I feel "divided" on his content.

I don't mind it at all, but something about his presentation just doesn't resonate with me.

It's hard to put my finger on really. His videos are very high quality, very "pro".

Something about the content that isn't as "down-to-earth" as some other Youtubers I personally prefer. I still enjoy some of his videos though, it's just not my go-to. Not the guy I'd go talk to if he was in a crowd with my other Youtubers.

Maybe style of personality??

Forgotten Weapons was a treasure trove of information. Their videos are very informative and give so much background and history on the weapons they show. Some of my favorites are the Lahti antitank rifle, slow-mo footage of malfunctions and on the fun side the one with the minigun and recently they did show a rail gun (I believe it was an actual commercial product). Somewhat adjacent youtube channel is InRangeTV with their mud test - they do go above and beyond with the mud.

As for the top 3 weapons I can't yet spoil anything for JA3 but I can share my top 3 JA2 weapons:

1. FN FAL - "the right arm of the free world" - it's an amazing assault rifle with great stopping power in the late game against armored foes.

2. Remington M870 - for a long time I ignored shotguns in JA2 since they didn't do much damage against enemies with armor but I changed my view in a recent playthrough where I got a Remington drop on the first map (Omerta) and found it extremely useful as a starting weapon.

3. M-14 - getting one of those is often a turning point in the way I approach fights in JA2 because of the range and accuracy it provided.

I would also include as an honorable mention the throwing knife as most fun way to play sneaky and silently. 

• Like 6

I seemingly haven't posted my favourites here yet, so here are mine: (I probably posted a different collection in another topic though)

1. FAMAS - it's just one handsome gun

2. AKM - it's raw and rad

3. MAC-10 - it's cool

Honorable mention: M-16- it's a classic

I would like weapons that aren't in the originals but are world famous.  AK-47 (the 74/AKM aren't really the same), M-16 (cause the M4/Commando aren't really the same), and the M60 for a "light" machine gun.  I know these are all in 1.13 but they really should have been in the base game for JA2.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a tricky one for me to answer and I was going to leave it but it is nice to see so many fellow "gun nut" guys. I once got kicked out of a Rainbow Six: Vegas game because I was complaining about the weapons. I'd also annoy Call Of Duty and Counter-Strike fans back in the day.

Those YouTube channels are regular visits for me as well. I like Forgotten Weapons, InRangeTV, Paul Harrell, Garand Thumb, TFB TV, Honest Outlaw, Administrative Results, Bloke On The Range, Royal Armouries, Vickers Tactical, IraqVeteran8888, Lucky Gunner Ammo, Military Arms Channel and Hickok45.

I personally never thought much of FPSRussia but that is just my view. He recently appeared in an interview, talking in his natural American voice, as to why he disappeared.

Due to the setting and timeline, like others have said, there should be older weapons that are common. WWII, 1950s and '60s battle rifles will be readily available. There should be plenty of FN FAL, H&K G3 rifles in 7.62x51mm around, to match all the Soviet-era assault rifles and machine guns.

My own personal favourites are the hardest to pick. How can you choose only 3 when you are considering handguns, shotguns, SMGs, assault rifles, battle rifles, sniper rifles and machine guns? If JA3 takes place in 2001, I would have to go with the following:

Pistols: Heckler & Koch USP .45 or 9mm, Beretta 92FS, M1911 (so many varieties and manufacturers for that one).

SMG: Heckler & Koch MP5A5, MP5SD6, UMP .45; Ingram MAC-10 .45 with suppressor, Steyr AUG Para.

Assault Rifle: Colt M4A1, SIG 551 and 552 Commando, Heckler & Koch G36K, G36C and HK33.

The thing is, I could pick many more but I would have to ultimately choose my firearms depending on what ammo would be readily available in the country. Also, if your gunfire sounds the same as the enemy's because you are using similar weapons, that can give you a slight advantage. They are less likely to pick you out as a foreign intrusion if they hear your gunfire going off in the distance.

Edited by Solaris_Wave
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 8:12 PM, Solaris_Wave said:

This is a tricky one for me to answer and I was going to leave it but it is nice to see so many fellow "gun nut" guys. I once got kicked out of a Rainbow Six: Vegas game because I was complaining about the weapons. I'd also annoy Call Of Duty and Counter-Strike fans back in the day.

Those YouTube channels are regular visits for me as well. I like Forgotten Weapons, InRangeTV, Paul Harrell, Garand Thumb, TFB TV, Honest Outlaw, Administrative Results, Bloke On The Range, Royal Armouries, Vickers Tactical, IraqVeteran8888, Lucky Gunner Ammo, Military Arms Channel and Hickok45.

I personally never thought much of FPSRussia but that is just my view. He recently appeared in an interview, talking in his natural American voice, as to why he disappeared.

Due to the setting and timeline, like others have said, there should be older weapons that are common. WWII, 1950s and '60s battle rifles will be readily available. There should be plenty of FN FAL, H&K G3 rifles in 7.62x51mm around, to match all the Soviet-era assault rifles and machine guns.

My own personal favourites are the hardest to pick. How can you choose only 3 when you are considering handguns, shotguns, SMGs, assault rifles, battle rifles, sniper rifles and machine guns? If JA3 takes place in 2001, I would have to go with the following:

Pistols: Heckler & Koch USP .45 or 9mm, Beretta 92FS, M1911 (so many varieties and manufacturers for that one).

SMG: Heckler & Koch MP5A5, MP5SD6, UMP .45; Ingram MAC-10 .45 with suppressor, Steyr AUG Para.

Assault Rifle: Colt M4A1, SIG 551 and 552 Commando, Heckler & Koch G36K, G36C and HK33.

The thing is, I could pick many more but I would have to ultimately choose my firearms depending on what ammo would be readily available in the country. Also, if your gunfire sounds the same as the enemy's because you are using similar weapons, that can give you a slight advantage. They are less likely to pick you out as a foreign intrusion if they hear your gunfire going off in the distance.

Why were you kicked out of Rainbow 6 ? Isnt the weapon variety rich & realistic there ? As i know those popular first person shooter games has a good selection of weapons.

Please can you send me the link where FPSRussia is giving the recent interview ? Just checked a few recent videos also almost a year ago it shows body transformation and so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

Why were you kicked out of Rainbow 6 ? Isnt the weapon variety rich & realistic there ? As i know those popular first person shooter games has a good selection of weapons.

Please can you send me the link where FPSRussia is giving the recent interview ? Just checked a few recent videos also almost a year ago it shows body transformation and so.

It has been 15 years since that I played Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 so I can't really remember the exact things I said. I do remember complaining about the grenades exploding on contact, how inaccurate and weak the light machine guns were (with so much recoil, despite being heavier and firing the same calibre as the assault rifles), incorrect rates of fire and damage. It made no sense why the FAMAS was so accurate and deadly, while the Steyr AUG A3 was so poor in every comparable way. I also complained about the AI enemies too.

R6: Vegas 2 actually improved the LMGs and it is possible that they read my forum post. Unfortunately, the screwed up a lot of other guns, adding 'game balancing' (things like giving the L85 rifle a smaller magazine than is realistic, just to 'balance' it out). Apparently, the developers started Vegas 2 with a firearms expert with military experience, who told them how to set the guns' statistics. Later on, they scrapped all of his suggestions and made the guns how people see and expect them to be from watching Hollywood movies. They apparently made that comment as such.

Oh and the AI was worse and cheated even more so.

That is not to say that I didn't enjoy those two games. I played them for a long time and achieved Elite rank in both.

It is a recurring trend for me where I will complain about the games that are supposedly 'so realistic'. It isn't me trying to be edgy or different. It is simply that I find problems within a short space of time that take me out of the game. This is often either down to silly gun design or AI behaviour. If the developers balance a gun's stats just so it fits in with all the others in game, ignoring realistic balancing (and I always say "realism balances itself") then it irritates me. If the AI behaves implausibly and super-shoots you with a one hit kill from the hip and about 400 metres away, it also irritates me.

Arbitrary gun balancing has happened in Call Of Duty, Counterstrike and many of the Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games that started with the XBox and Playstation. Implausible, god-like AI affected the earlier Rainbow Six games (plus the later ones in multiplayer), the multiplayer segment of Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 and Operation Flashpoint. I could tell you the exact reasons why for each of the games I mentioned but I would probably bore you.

It then ends with me arguing with others who fawn over such games as if they are the Holy Grail. As I said, it isn't because I am trying to be edgy and different. I can deal with it more if I see the game as a 'realism-themed arcade game' instead of a 'realistic' one. It isn't always a good thing having enough knowledge so that it stops you enjoying a game. Thankfully, there are games out there that really do try to go for as much realism as possible. Others can sometimes be modded.

As for FPSRussia, there is a video on YouTube where he is interviewed and explains his disappearance. If you search for FPSRussia and the author, PKA Highlights, you will find a few videos on him.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2022 at 7:17 PM, Solaris_Wave said:

It has been 15 years since that I played Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 so I can't really remember the exact things I said. I do remember complaining about the grenades exploding on contact, how inaccurate and weak the light machine guns were (with so much recoil, despite being heavier and firing the same calibre as the assault rifles), incorrect rates of fire and damage. It made no sense why the FAMAS was so accurate and deadly, while the Steyr AUG A3 was so poor in every comparable way. I also complained about the AI enemies too.

R6: Vegas 2 actually improved the LMGs and it is possible that they read my forum post. Unfortunately, the screwed up a lot of other guns, adding 'game balancing' (things like giving the L85 rifle a smaller magazine than is realistic, just to 'balance' it out). Apparently, the developers started Vegas 2 with a firearms expert with military experience, who told them how to set the guns' statistics. Later on, they scrapped all of his suggestions and made the guns how people see and expect them to be from watching Hollywood movies. They apparently made that comment as such.

Oh and the AI was worse and cheated even more so.

That is not to say that I didn't enjoy those two games. I played them for a long time and achieved Elite rank in both.

It is a recurring trend for me where I will complain about the games that are supposedly 'so realistic'. It isn't me trying to be edgy or different. It is simply that I find problems within a short space of time that take me out of the game. This is often either down to silly gun design or AI behaviour. If the developers balance a gun's stats just so it fits in with all the others in game, ignoring realistic balancing (and I always say "realism balances itself") then it irritates me. If the AI behaves implausibly and super-shoots you with a one hit kill from the hip and about 400 metres away, it also irritates me.

Arbitrary gun balancing has happened in Call Of Duty, Counterstrike and many of the Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games that started with the XBox and Playstation. Implausible, god-like AI affected the earlier Rainbow Six games (plus the later ones in multiplayer), the multiplayer segment of Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 and Operation Flashpoint. I could tell you the exact reasons why for each of the games I mentioned but I would probably bore you.

It then ends with me arguing with others who fawn over such games as if they are the Holy Grail. As I said, it isn't because I am trying to be edgy and different. I can deal with it more if I see the game as a 'realism-themed arcade game' instead of a 'realistic' one. It isn't always a good thing having enough knowledge so that it stops you enjoying a game. Thankfully, there are games out there that really do try to go for as much realism as possible. Others can sometimes be modded.

As for FPSRussia, there is a video on YouTube where he is interviewed and explains his disappearance. If you search for FPSRussia and the author, PKA Highlights, you will find a few videos on him.

Indeed

Also i like the suggestions you made in your previous comment

Edited by Operator_Max1993
To add something

On 4/28/2022 at 7:00 PM, LoboNocturno said:

This Gun Jesus guy "Forgotten Weapons" may shows off the best details of the weapons (also lots of odd weapons) in slow pace but it can be really boring at times, he can make you fall asleep.

My favourite gunman on YouTube is "FPSRussia" he is explaining and practising the guns with real excitement, though he not posting on his successful YouTube channel anymore since 6 or 7 years but he is the most fun by far imo. Highly recommended for sure.

Also "Kalashnikov Group" is a top notch gun channel on YouTube (showing off mostly just Russian weapons though.)

Duude my favourite gunman is FPSRussia too! Though yeah it's sad he's not posting anymore

And i do like Gun Jesus from Forgotten Weapons as well though i see why he's "boring"

• Like 1