Necessary upgrades before launch

Remi1987

7 hours ago, MagicShadow said:

Over a page worth discussing the size of mugshots the most important aspect is being overlooked..
NONE of these characters show any resemblance with the original ones except for their names.

Look at my profile pic.. THERE you see Shadow. Not that Dancing Bear - Toy Boy variant in the game 🤣

Yes, men turned into cute little boys.

8 hours ago, MagicShadow said:

Over a page worth discussing the size of mugshots the most important aspect is being overlooked..
NONE of these characters show any resemblance with the original ones except for their names.

Look at my profile pic.. THERE you see Shadow. Not that Dancing Bear - Toy Boy variant in the game 🤣

Oh you're so wrong, I completely disagree.

If there's not a problem I think with JA3, it's the portraits (for most mercs, was it Buns that looks kinda weird, also some other girl mercs I'm like, meh). But raider looks 10/10, so does Shadow, Gus, everybody.

Only people I would change is Len, who has a stupid goatee and sunglasses, why sunglasses, Vicki, who has been completely redesigned to look like she's 12, and Blood kinda looks like Rambo now with the red headband, what's that all about. And Buns hasn't been designed particularly well in my opinion, and same for Raven, I think could be designed a bit better. And wolf maybe a bit. ASIDE FROM THAT, perfect. I don't think we need to change everything around. If somebody has criticisms, the criticisms should be specific, not just "oh everything sucks".

25 minutes ago, Elite77 said:

Only people I would change is Len, who has a stupid goatee and sunglasses

Heh. He looks more cool and tough with this sunglasses. He was more like military nerd in JA2. I mean he was a guy who dont care about some cool looking stuff. Very practical person. But i dont mind about sunglasses.

29 minutes ago, Elite77 said:

And Buns hasn't been designed particularly well in my opinion

Disagree with u in this. I dont like most of pictures in this game. But i like how artist see Buns, i like her scandinavian woman face.

31 minutes ago, Elite77 said:

Vicki

Just awful. Vicki, Barry, Ace - shame. Better redraw their faces, its not a big deal actually.

19 hours ago, MagicShadow said:

I can't really aggree they don't show resemblance - I personally had noproblems rocognizing practically all who were present in previous games. Sure it's different style, but it's them.

There are however some misses that need to be addressed. 

Fidel as mentioned - yes the portrait style MUST be same like all of others. Like it is now - it's just sloppy.

Shadow - he was also one of my favorites but I never really liked his portrait because he looked like he was lost/oblivious or something. This one has this strange grin that's too visible because of that light that falls on his face - perhaps just remove that?

But largest miss is IMO the best mercenary available (Ya know, now that Mike is gone. :classic_wink:).

I mean, you simply cannot make such a change... Just remove the hat and that stupid smile. We have a friendly guy - it's Ice. Magic is something else... 

JA1image.png.f0edd6d14a2c860570ef4ee921a9fd00.png JA2image.png.1e5c01b22785d990279e694887ecdce3.png JA3?image.png.cda7882623ca9dfd9337dace8722bbca.png

Edited by Povok
  • Haha 3

If have not seen ANY mugshot in JA3 that shows resemblance with the old characters.

Let's take a few legends for example:

Shadow: looks like a Toy Boy just gotten off from Spring Break, instead of a 'Bob-Lee Swagger' type of lonewolf that lives solitary in the woods.

Magic: looks like a tapdancer you saw out in the streets of NY city back in the 50's. Or some jazz-band player. Downright awful and probably their biggest misfire.

Vicki: looks like some weird Rasta Voodoo witch smoking pot all the time instead of an intelligent woman, hardened by life and a great technician.

Fidel: Some Scottish grandpa coming straight from the series of Outlander instead of a Cuban explosive expert with a twisted mind and little patience. 

Ivan: Perhaps the most iconic character of all has been mutilated. As if he has been beaten up for years in a gulag and became some failed Frankenstein experiment instead of the battle hardened officer from the Russian army. He is way to bulky and beefed up now.

Igor: looks like a mime player instead of a try-hard Balkan dude with hidden skills (one of the best bang for buck characters)

Len: Tried to make him look like Denzel Washington or what? 

I can go on and on and one but it it seems their artist has never played the old games.
Lets just face it.. JA3 is not to be regarded as a successor to JA1 and JA2 hence meant to pay tribute to the old franchise, but a game on its own.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MagicShadow said:

Shadow: looks like a Toy Boy

100%

7 minutes ago, MagicShadow said:

Magic: looks like a tapdancer you saw out in the streets of NY city back in the 50's.

100$

8 minutes ago, MagicShadow said:

Vicki: looks like some weird Rasta Voodoo witch smoking pot all the time instead of an intelligent woman

100%

9 minutes ago, MagicShadow said:

Fidel: Some Scottish grandpa

100%

• Thanks 1

It is fairly simple. The overall tone is too cartoony. Many characters look happy while they are in reality brutal and serious mercs. That is not fitting and also the missing animated portraits are definitely a big atmosphere killer. 

JA2 was so special, because the mercs felt so alive and were a part of your team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Povok said:

JA1image.png.f0edd6d14a2c860570ef4ee921a9fd00.png JA2image.png.1e5c01b22785d990279e694887ecdce3.png JA3?image.png.cda7882623ca9dfd9337dace8722bbca.png

Great example of how Magic scowls or glares, and has a different emotional expression. For future reference, developers may want to try to have more than just one type of emotional expression on the mercs faces. There's a lot of OK non glib smiling mercs like Raider, but there's a lot of mercs who are just stupidly smiling in a smug way and I don't think that's a good example of personality being displayed.

Edited by Elite77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WILDFIRE said:

It is fairly simple. The overall tone is too cartoony. Many characters look happy while they are in reality brutal and serious mercs. That is not fitting and also the missing animated portraits are definitely a big atmosphere killer. 

JA2 was so special, because the mercs felt so alive and were a part of your team.

There's a little bit of Fortnite in JA3, I will not lie.

JA series was about cool action. There is humor, but not in the action. The action is still cool guys in cool gear doing cool combat type stuff.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Elite77 said:

There's a little bit of Fortnite in JA3, I will not lie.

I'd dare to say Team Fortress even..

Such a shame. I could see through some clunky mechanics but not through these complete flopped character portraits. The characters is what made up for like 80% of the fun in Jagged Alliance I'd say.

The game designer really made some huge mistakes in this matter and should be held accountable for if this whole game fails to deliver.

42 minutes ago, Xeth Nyrrow said:

Assuming portraits can be modded, I assume a die hard purist will use AI to upscale the old JA2 art work and put it in the game and we can all be happy.

One guy already did. Most of them sucks/need more hand work. But some of them are very good.

21montage.png

42montage.png

55montage.png

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I mean Magic is the perfect example that the art direction feels off sometimes. Why must he smile and why does he have to wear this hat? I can understand that the devs want their own style for the game but some mercs are serious and brutal characters. In JA3 some mercs look like happy fortnite characters and are not the same anymore. That happy colorful tone changes the whole vibe of the game.

3 minutes ago, Elite77 said:

Oh by the way. Can't you do basically the same process with all JA portraits with AI? AI can do this, surely.

I told u already, the guy did all JA portraits(NPC and Mercs). But most of them sucks. Need updated technology or hand work.

This is his thread on this forum:

MAGIC yes, Look at how that hat is pasted on his head, in reality he doesn't even wear a hat like that. It is misplaced in a weird angle.

He went from dangerous mob to cuban salsa teacher cq picasso street artist, where a paintbrush is his favourite weapon.

3 hours ago, Jaywalker said:

Kinda sad that those AI portraits look better than whatever happened to Buns or M.D.

Don't be that sad, the portraits are fine in my opinion. Some are...not as well done. But they also need to design the 3D model to go with the portrait, that's important. It's not just changing features around in Photoshop.