Jagged Alliance 3 - THQ Nordic Showcase Trailer

Wigen

Warning: you must be at least 18 years old, relatively sane of mind, and have no more than two felony convictions in any given country to gain acces to this site.

So far i haven't seen any of the witty and sharp dialogue in between mercenaries. But hummor is subjective and maybe some others encountered diffirent things. Still the above line gave me some hope that they will put in the 'right' kind of humor, the one that is on par with JA2.

For me the thing that made JA2 special was the interactions between mercenaries and the nagging about trivial stuff as the weather, dispite being in a very serious and life threatening situation. So the mercenaries should be real characters who portray the many cultureral you speak off. But i'm kind off afraid that won't be woke in this day and age. Which for better or worse is also subjective. 

For me those things outweigh some of the mechanics stuff (i think).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

Exactly, thank you. Godspeed opinion is way too pessimistic imo. I would not mind if they make the game similar to XCom 2 either, liked Rage but Rage was made too cheaply as a indie game. With good effort Jagged Alliance 3 can be a really good game, especially if the voice talking will be added up, some NPCs and the game is a must for console, especially PlayStation cause am not playing it on PC with mouse like 20 years ago lol, real gaming is now days on console.

No way, m&kb all the way for this game. I don't want a XCom, XCom does that well, I want a JA game.

Edited by Acid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if anyone mentioned it in this topic, but if you watch the new trailer quite carefully, you can see the text box next to the character's avatars several times. This means that there will only be text or that the character's dialogue lines have not yet been recorded.

Edited by Wigen
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Wigen said:

I don't know if anyone mentioned it in this topic, but if you watch the new trailer quite carefully, you can see the text box next to the character's avatars several times. This means that there will only be text or that the character's dialogue lines have not yet been recorded.

Yep, has been mentioned a couple of times, also a thread exists on the steam forums.

I guess you wanted to point out the text boxes, which might have not explicity mentioned though.

34 minutes ago, Wigen said:

In JA2 there were both text boxes and voices speches too. So, voicing is still have a chance.

Edited by ULTRAANDR
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 12:48 AM, Flowable said:

Warning: you must be at least 18 years old, relatively sane of mind, and have no more than two felony convictions in any given country to gain acces to this site.

So far i haven't seen any of the witty and sharp dialogue in between mercenaries. But hummor is subjective and maybe some others encountered diffirent things. Still the above line gave me some hope that they will put in the 'right' kind of humor, the one that is on par with JA2.

It is from Jagged Alliance 2...

AIM Warning!.png

• Thanks 1

By now, I think it's pretty clear that you guys know I will argue and voice my opinion in a very "critical" way. This is the only game for which I care strongly enough to actually give a crap about its future.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:17 PM, LoboNocturno said:

Exactly, thank you. Godspeed opinion is way too pessimistic imo. I would not mind if they make the game similar to XCom 2 either, liked Rage but Rage was made too cheaply as a indie game. With good effort Jagged Alliance 3 can be a really good game, especially if the voice talking will be added up, some NPCs and the game is a must for console, especially PlayStation cause am not playing it on PC with mouse like 20 years ago lol, real gaming is now days on console.

I want to be super friendly in the way I say things, but I think my words will come out like a blunt object regardless, simply because I seriously care about this game. This is the last time I will "hope" for a Jagged Alliance game that might be faithful to its roots. This is the biggest funded effort yet.

If you follow gaming AT ALL, you would know that big game companies only listen when the crowd gets loud. When nobody says anything, they release the lowest effort kind of crap because why work hard if people are happy with 'whatever'?

..but wait... REAL GAMING is now days on console?

😶

Why the heck would I want to buy a console to play a PC Classic?

Consoles aren't bad at all, I have a PS1 and PS3 for a few Gran Turismo titles for when I feel like being lazy and laying back. I had a Switch because I thought it would be fun for going out (end up using my camera too much). Consoles have their place!

But, Turn-Based Roleplaying Strategy games belong on PC! Not to be watered-down and oversimplified so that I can sit and nap while I play. If they can keep the complexity and depth and still offer it to console players, GOOD! But if they sacrifice game quality for the sake of consoles, this game will pretty much fail.

The only player base Haemimont Games has that are almost GUARANTEED first-day buyers are PC gamers such as many here who want a faithful Jagged Alliance. We are the first wave of purchases that will review and either rave or hate the game. This game, on console, would pass by like a shadow and not even be noticed.

I don't want a game with an interface that looks like a port for mobile gaming because players are too lazy to use a mouse or use more than 5-6 buttons.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wigen said:

The funeral home and the gun shop are also taken from Jagged Alliance 2. Also note the failure of the site with M. E. R. C. This would mean that they may be rentable.

Screenshot_20220820_015839.jpg

It could most likely be like Bobby Ray's where the site is under construction until you liberate the Airport and then becomes available.

If the devs even have a quarter of their brains intact, M.E.R.C. will be in the game. Flow and Biff as well. (Look I just want Flow on a warm beach and palm trees environment ok!?) *wink wink*

I would hope that there is "drama" between AIM and MERC, where some mercs will have moved from one service to the other and some commentary on their experiences (from Jagged Alliance 2) and how some mercs are hated and others really liked.

It really depends though, because even if in my head JA3 is set after JA2, if I am correct it seems to be set before, because everyone looks younger. Buns looks WAY younger, like early 20's, when in JA2 she looks like she could be late 20's to early 30's. Set in the 90's or something.

Pretty certain @Wigen and/or @Kordanor could correct me there.

Edited by GODSPEED

On 8/18/2022 at 12:48 AM, Flowable said:

... hope that they will put in the 'right' kind of humor, the one that is on par with JA2.

For me the thing that made JA2 special was the interactions between mercenaries and the nagging about trivial stuff as the weather, dispite being in a very serious and life threatening situation. So the mercenaries should be real characters who portray the many cultureral you speak off. But i'm kind off afraid that won't be woke in this day and age. Which for better or worse is also subjective. 

For me those things outweigh some of the mechanics stuff (i think).

I think they amplify the gaming mechanics. Either one on it's own wouldn't feel nearly as good. Game mechanics are the core and the depth that keeps you coming, while the witty, funny and humorous lines add to the feeling of realism and lightheartedness. Laughter is something that provides a positive feeling.

Not sure what kind of other entertainment you enjoy, but just to cite a few big names, take something like the first 6 episodes of Star Wars, everything from Star Trek the Original Series to Star Trek Enterprise, the Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park (sorry these are the main "epics" I enjoy)...

...they are very similar to Jagged Alliance, in the sense that they are set in a serious tone, usually with some drama or serious life-threatening situation.

But, they are filled (not overfilled) with moments that just make you laugh, smirk or giggle. They help provide another set of emotions within the context and help create an even stronger bond to the protagonists or the story.

Just take one of the mercs you enjoy, or even a merc you never played with before, whenever you HEAR a new line or a line that makes you laugh, it provides a kind of "connection" and gives that digital representation of a person a kind of "soul" as we like to call it. It gives them a little dimension in what is otherwise a very grim situation and bland looking world. We forget the colour brown and greyish brown seem to dominate Arulco.

Ever notice that on the A.I.M page, if you wait a few seconds (the same as if you wait a few seconds when you contact mercs on the video feed, something funny or witty is said) the Warning! logo changes for an ad for Malleus, Incus & Stapes insurance company? Animated and all..

It starts with The words:

"We've got you..."

and then a brush with some fresh "blood" paint comes replace it with "Covered".

It is also a clickable "ad" that brings you to the Malleus, Incus & Stapes website.

A little research leads to find that it is simply main parts of the eardrum, translated from latin: Hammer, Anvil & Stirrup.

AIM ad.png

Edited by GODSPEED
  • Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 1:34 PM, Haemimont_Boian said:

While I can't wait to answer all your questions, we are still waiting for green light from THQ marketing and really can't talk about anything specific before we have permission. My personal expectation is that specific information will be coming soon, but I have been wrong before 🙂

August 26th, that qualifies as soon right

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What does it mean when they say “soon”
How soon will be soon?
Will tomorrow be or the day after?
One wonders while one waits for soon.
Have patience, it, soon, will come soon enough.
Next week or a fortnight?
That soon?
Only they do not know.
They say soon.
Wait.
Soon it will come.
Never soon enough for those who wait.

@Wigen: I guess they will show something or this stream would be totally useless. Maybe they give us the first dev diary?! Or its a small interview with the devs?

At the moment the game still looks very early in development. We dont even have voice acting in it. But hopefully we get more gameplay clips. 

11 hours ago, WILDFIRE said:

@Wigen: I guess they will show something or this stream would be totally useless. Maybe they give us the first dev diary?! Or its a small interview with the devs?

There are many options for what will be shown on the third day. It could also be a release date announcement, a new CGI trailer, or a gameplay save.

If this was the first episode of DevDiary, it would also be good. This would mean they are slowly starting out with marketing.

[UPDATE]

It must have been a mistake with this live from Jagged Alliance 3 because the link is no longer valid and instead of Jagged Alliance 3 there is Company of Heroes 3.

So there will be no Jagged Alliance 3 show.

Edited by Wigen

The interview was very interesting, reassuring, and dense! Thank you for that!

One of the only dissapointing things for me was the absence of vehicles. I loved the icecream truck, hummer, and the Chopper in JA2. Especially the third one changed the strategic game when you could finally use it. The tanks were one of the final interesting challenge, even if very punitive.

The hidden CTH story is a very very good sign for me that the dev team is on a good track. Later they added some infos about quests and RPG elements going in the same way. YES! That's it! Let the player experiment, feel what is the thing to do, rather than telling him the steps with a list, an exclamation mark or another directive way. Make it intuitive. Same for chatting with people. In JA2 you only had different approaches, and you had to look for subtle tips to understand the situation. That was immersive!
Character feedback is excellent. It helps the player understand the situation, and gives the merc some character via the sentence. All good!

I was very happy to hear that you are very early free to do what you want, to choose your approach. That was one of the great things about JA2, and honestly, I wish they had made more options available. The replayability was a bit hindered because of that. If you can improve on that side, go for it! More strategic places, more and diverse allies, maybe more sides to choose, and therefore endings for the story. That would be great!

No answer for IMP means there will be some kind of IMP, I guess, but maybe not how we know it. I don't think it's mandatory, but it surely was great in JA2, and the questionnaire to get it was both diegetic and hilarious.

Everything related to the laptop and the other diegetin UI Enlightened my day too. Please add as much stuff as you can there, sites, documents, mails, etc. I loved in JA2 that you received a briefing and study of the place you are about Arulco, its history, important people, cities, little stuff like that immerse you both in the place and in your rôle.
The second trailer had amazing humor in the details of the laptop. I can't wait to see the full extend of it in the game.

Well, that's a lot to digest, but as many on the discord, I came hesitant, and left reassured. Many good things were said about this game. I'm looking forward to read some devlogs I hope sooner than later.

• Like 4

On 8/20/2022 at 2:03 AM, GODSPEED said:

By now, I think it's pretty clear that you guys know I will argue and voice my opinion in a very "critical" way. This is the only game for which I care strongly enough to actually give a crap about its future.

I want to be super friendly in the way I say things, but I think my words will come out like a blunt object regardless, simply because I seriously care about this game. This is the last time I will "hope" for a Jagged Alliance game that might be faithful to its roots. This is the biggest funded effort yet.

If you follow gaming AT ALL, you would know that big game companies only listen when the crowd gets loud. When nobody says anything, they release the lowest effort kind of crap because why work hard if people are happy with 'whatever'?

..but wait... REAL GAMING is now days on console?

😶

Why the heck would I want to buy a console to play a PC Classic?

Consoles aren't bad at all, I have a PS1 and PS3 for a few Gran Turismo titles for when I feel like being lazy and laying back. I had a Switch because I thought it would be fun for going out (end up using my camera too much). Consoles have their place!

But, Turn-Based Roleplaying Strategy games belong on PC! Not to be watered-down and oversimplified so that I can sit and nap while I play. If they can keep the complexity and depth and still offer it to console players, GOOD! But if they sacrifice game quality for the sake of consoles, this game will pretty much fail.

The only player base Haemimont Games has that are almost GUARANTEED first-day buyers are PC gamers such as many here who want a faithful Jagged Alliance. We are the first wave of purchases that will review and either rave or hate the game. This game, on console, would pass by like a shadow and not even be noticed.

I don't want a game with an interface that looks like a port for mobile gaming because players are too lazy to use a mouse or use more than 5-6 buttons.

Guess i need to buy myself a new Windows Laptop and wait to buy JA3 from Stream ASAP. 😄👍🏽