Smiley church fight is dumb

lol

Triggered it with solo MD, while my main squad was away. Lost MD, Smiley, lost Fleatown sector. After a hundred hours playthrough without loading. JA 3 without save-loading + blind playthrough = bad, unfair, unpleasant experience.

At least there could be some kind of a "this could trigger a fight" alarm, like in a C7 mine.

And here's some less emotional follow-up feedback:

- after save-loading a dozen times I managed to have MD die before Smiley, leading to "battle lost" status; surprisingly, bandits do not attack Smiley if there are no mercs on the map

- strategic map doesn't show any enemies in the sector now

- trying to enter it starts the battle with "unknown enemy", with starting zone right in the center of the church with Smiley alive

- this actually gives player a chance to recruit Smiley after all

Overall, the quest frame is still pretty strange and unintuitive.

Edited by lol

I think there's two things you can do; 

1. Come with more mercs.

2. Once the fight triggers you only get to deploy your mercs in the church - so basically you are stuck inside with the bad guys are firing in at you and with you only having very limited line of sight at them. There is only one exit and trying to get our will result in you getting hammered. What you needvto do is to create some additional exits before triggering the fight - i.e. use some explosives to blow holes in the walls. Do that and then trigger the fight. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 6:28 PM, past caring said:

I think there's two things you can do; 

1. Come with more mercs.

2. Once the fight triggers you only get to deploy your mercs in the church - so basically you are stuck inside with the bad guys are firing in at you and with you only having very limited line of sight at them. There is only one exit and trying to get our will result in you getting hammered. What you needvto do is to create some additional exits before triggering the fight - i.e. use some explosives to blow holes in the walls. Do that and then trigger the fight. 

Hey, thanks for the answer, that's exactly what I did lol

My initial post was more in the wake of "hardly playable on first run without save/loading" idea. Which is still valid

Same issue with Claudette in D9. Attacking enemy in the other corner of the map triggers two elite goons who immediately kill Claudette same turn without a chance to save her. Unbelievably bad quest design.