Developer Diary requests

I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to ask Haemimont if they could create certain Developer Diaries on topics that they were possibly not originally planning to do, or to go into further detail on things that have only been briefly touched upon?

I would like to see more detail on the Inventory systems and why they decided on what they have in place right now. Despite the heated debate about showing Chance To Hit percentage, I feel that there are things equally as important. Most comments on the inventory system have not been favourable, so I am curious as to whether the system would be altered, or if it is set in stone? If the latter is true, what were the decisions to create the inventory system in the way it has been shown in screenshots and videos?

I'd also like to see a Diary on the variety of weapons intended for the game and whether more would be planned for DLC.

Finally, I would like to see further discussion on the weapon modding and upgrades.

How about anybody else?

• Like 3

The one thing I am wondering about the Developer Diaries is that, are they only posted when Haemimont have decided on some aspect of the game and are not planning to alter it in any way?

That is why I personally think the Inventory system needs greater explanation and reasoning on why it is the way it is. I think it is too simple, for the sake of simplicity, but could be improved, while still keeping a level of simplicity.

I also want to have a better idea of what guns are in the game. That would give an idea of how they plan to balance them in terms of action point usage, damage and range. The latter point would help indicate just how large they intend to make each map. No point in taking certain guns if the maps are so small that your handgun can shoot just as far.

Edited by Solaris_Wave

1 hour ago, Solaris_Wave said:

The one thing I am wondering about the Developer Diaries is that, are they only posted when Haemimont have decided on some aspect of the game and are not planning to alter it in any way?

That is why I personally think the Inventory system needs greater explanation and reasoning on why it is the way it is. I think it is too simple, for the sake of simplicity, but could be improved, while still keeping a level of simplicity.

I also want to have a better idea of what guns are in the game. That would give an idea of how they plan to balance them in terms of action point usage, damage and range. The latter point would help indicate just how large they intend to make each map. No point in taking certain guns if the maps are so small that your handgun can shoot just as far.

I would imagine they are only giving info when they are pretty sure of the system staying as in, at least for release of the game. For the guns that sort of stuff is minor as the numbers can be tweaked and is likely going to be the easiest thing to mod in the game.

I agree that the guns can be easily tweaked. I would just like to know what guns are intended and what the battle map ranges are like. So far, we haven't seen maps that are as large as in JA2. That might make some of the guns superfluous.

The more that I think about it, the more there needs to be explained regarding map sizes. JA2's maps were larger but had more empty spaces and the natural terrain itself was flat. That may be why JA3's maps are smaller, because of performance issues maybe (even though surely it can't be all that demanding?).

Weapon usage would definitely play an important factor on map size. If the maps can be big, that would create a greater purpose for sniper rifles, bolt-action rifles, battle rifles and general purpose machine guns. They would have the range while your mercs moved in. That would then open up use of assault rifles, light support weapons and squad automatic weapons. Carbines followed by sub-machine guns, shotguns and handguns would be next.

Without those distances, it makes me wonder if the larger calibre guns are just a 'fun' thing to have, rather than anything necessary.

I suspect they made the maps smaller specifically to make shorter range weapons be more viable and longer ranged ones less so. They seem to be head over heals with the double barrel shot gun but who brings that to a war? Of course I was always put off by the fact the whole thing starts with pistol fights which make no sense but I disgress...

I can picture the double barrel shotgun being something that was already in the country and then acquired by one of your mercs, rather than it being brought in as a combat weapon. Probably a civilian had it as a means of home defence.

Starting off with pistols and then moving up to more powerful weapons, like in JA2, I was never that keen on. I can understand starting off simple and with lighter difficulty, before making the game complex, but other than that, I didn't like how newer guns would render the older ones pointless. You'd get handguns and then SMGs would appear, followed by the variety of rifles. You could still buy and use handguns and SMGs but there wouldn't be much point once the newer guns appeared. There wasn't really any advantage to using the earlier weapons even though they were lighter and easier to wield.

I would like to see a greater variety of weapon types at the beginning but as the game progresses, the weapon variety and quality increases. Newer, modern or highly regarded weapons appear. Then, while doing that, the weapons are logically balanced so all types stay relevant. Shorter guns and those with lighter calibres should stay relevant when conducting Close Quarters Battle. They would have less range and less power but make up for it in being quicker to aim and shoot with. Also, they would be able to carry more ammunition in total, due to thinner magazines. Handguns (and knives) would be the fastest to equip, so you always want to carry a sidearm in case your main weapon jams or is empty at the worst possible moment. It would be quicker to draw a pistol from your holster and shoot, instead of trying to reload your primary weapon. Especially so, if you have the right sling on your primary, so you can let it hang while you pull the sidearm from its holster.

Edited by Solaris_Wave

It looks like they are using guns as a sort of progression system like JA2 did based upon everyone using a pistol in the games we've seen. As unrealistic as it is, it does make for a better feel of progression in the game. We can't upgrade from a sword +2 to a sword +3 so better guns is the way to go. There can be slight variations in stats of course but a gun is a gun unlike a lot of fantasy RPG weapons. With so few equipment options it's either force various gun types like pistols -> shotguns -> SMGs -> ARs -> LMGs/Snipers or add gear like armor, vision accessories, etc or even weird stuff like JA2 did with some devices you could build.

Older guns could still give way to newer guns. You could start off with WWII-era (and earlier) handguns and rifles that would still remain in Africa, along with civilian hunting rifles and shotguns. Then you would see firearms from the 50s and 60s, which would then be supplanted by later eras. The final tiers would be guns that have provision for multiple attachments, such as suppressors, grips, lights, lasers and optics.

Damage may not be vastly different but reliability, magazine capacity, attachment options, lighter weight and less action point usage would be the benefits. Better ammunition would come along as well.

4 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

Older guns could still give way to newer guns. You could start off with WWII-era (and earlier) handguns and rifles that would still remain in Africa, along with civilian hunting rifles and shotguns. Then you would see firearms from the 50s and 60s, which would then be supplanted by later eras. The final tiers would be guns that have provision for multiple attachments, such as suppressors, grips, lights, lasers and optics.

Damage may not be vastly different but reliability, magazine capacity, attachment options, lighter weight and less action point usage would be the benefits. Better ammunition would come along as well.

accurate older weapons could be replaced by modernized versions

22 minutes ago, Reloecc said:

For me.. Engine seems good, I like assets and possibilities. But I don't care this game really until modded. So Topic #1 shall be Mods.

its gonna take a lot of modding to unfuck what the devs have done, ngl