Feedback for developers from German streamers and media outlets

DonBilbo

I thought it might be helpful for the developers as feedback to create a list of points that were mentioned by German streamers and magazine previews as needing improvement. However, I would like to focus only on points that can probably still be adjusted until the release and which are only improvements of already implemented mechanics and do not represent innovations / changes (story and humor, for example, was also mentioned by one, but is firstly unrealistic to change until the release and also a very subjective point. Most liked the humor and story.). I did not keep a tally while watching the streams, because the idea came to me later, so no claim to completeness. So feel free to name your own points that fit.

1. pause mode can be activated manually, to have more control over the start of the fight, especially when trying to perform stealth attacks. Possibly this is also intended by the developers to create more stress, chaos and tension at the beginning of the fight. However, this point was mentioned by almost everyone and some even desperately searched for the corresponding key in the keyboard menu. This should be very easy to implement.

2. No inventory sorting functionality like type, object class. Already after a few hours of collecting stuff it becomes a tedious task to change equipment of the mercs

3. Sometimes the mercs cover blocks the bullets even though the hit marker for head/body did not show the wall/obstructed symbol. Also depending on aiming angle there was a situation in the bunker where one merc didn't lean out of cover but always shot the pillar (even though target system tells the player he can hit the enemy) while other mercs did lean out to shoot.

4. Job trainers cannot be changed or added with more trainers after a job has been started to speed it up, e.g. the best leader was still at the doctor's office when starting to train the militia, but is now urgently needed to support the training of the militia. You can now only cancel or have to wait the job is finished.

5. often illogical starting positions at the beginning of the fight. You have yet to guide the mercenaries to logical defensive positions. Trained militia roam solo. Position specification for these would also be desirable or commands such as stay together should be given. Enemies like to stand in a crowd directly in front of the player's entry position on a map.

Additional point: Enemy AI only seems intelligent on first glance, they seek cover when wounded etc. But they seem to lack strategic overview as they don’t work as a team just as single individuals without memory. So you can pile up bodies at door entrances e.g.

Since I don't know how the AI is implemented and whether it is easy or difficult to make adjustments, I wanted to mention this point anyway. It could also be further optimized after the release.

I just wanted to add that the overall feedback from the German community was very positive.

• Like 2

I have seen some of the feedback from the Russian community, and most was ... er, positive, but they criticized the changes made in JA3 and how similar to XCOM it was.

In fact, comparing JA3 to XCOM was a persistent trend on many Russian communities. And you can see how. Very like, arcade type of movement animations that are very "action" based, lots of unrealistic mechanics like grit. I didn't see many of them talk about chance to hit, maybe they didn't notice it yet (since the discussion about this has mostly been taking place on English-speaking sites).

How do you guys feel about it?

I haven't seen or read anything in terms of feedback or analysis from Russians playing the Beta but I thought that the German feedback sounded as if they were really taking their time in analysing as much as possible to do with JA3, whether it was the Beta, screenshots or videos. It is a shame that my German isn't very good. I understand many words and how to pronounce them but a fluent German speaker speaking quickly just causes me to struggle. The impression I did get though was that there was more scrutiny than most English speaking video streamers.

XCOM is the benchmark for all current turn-based squad games these days. Just like X-COM (the original) or UFO was the benchmark for any such game from the 1990s. As much as I love the original trilogy but not the reboot, I would rather JA3 kept as far away from any XCOM as much as possible. I like modern day-era games to be as serious as possible.

10 hours ago, Elite77 said:

In fact, comparing JA3 to XCOM was a persistent trend on many Russian communities. And you can see how. Very like, arcade type of movement animations that are very "action" based, lots of unrealistic mechanics like grit.

Why do the extended motion animations (when moving the merc from point A to point B) make the game arcadey? I think it just adds to the atmosphere.

What is meant by grit mechanic?

1 hour ago, Solaris_Wave said:

The impression I did get though was that there was more scrutiny than most English speaking video streamers.

XCOM is the benchmark for all current turn-based squad games these days. Just like X-COM (the original) or UFO was the benchmark for any such game from the 1990s. As much as I love the original trilogy but not the reboot, I would rather JA3 kept as far away from any XCOM as much as possible. I like modern day-era games to be as serious as possible.

I just watched 1 English preview stream so I can't really compare that to the German ones. I watched like 4 different German streamers a video preview by GameStar (Martin Deppe) and read one extended written German preview (by Jörg Langer a veteran gaming journalist). Here is a translated version of that: https://www.gamingdeputy.com/jagged-alliance-3-preview-p-1/

One streamer (AldemarHD) also commented that he is wondering about the XCOM comparisons, as especially the action point system is a very distinct difference between the two and allows for much more tactical flexibility.

@DonBilbo grit is grit, you know. The grit they added. Grit is new HP you get when you step out of cover, sometimes it's used with other perks. I think it's really unrealistic. It's so unrealistic I think it might not even fit in XCOM.

I am totally appreciative of AP system, I think AP system was a great decision by developers, but I think other parts of JA3 could use a bit more work.

2 hours ago, DonBilbo said:

One streamer (AldemarHD) also commented that he is wondering about the XCOM comparisons, as especially the action point system is a very distinct difference between the two and allows for much more tactical flexibility.

It could be "distinct difference" if there would not exist one-button dedicated actions as run-and-shoot, hunker-down or overwatch, which eats all your ap and do multiple things while you can't aim, change your decision or react on the outcome.

Just now, DonBilbo said:

Ok I see, but is this really bad as you still have the option to just move and shoot how you want to?

At first, you can't replace hunker-down or overwatch by corresponding actions, because there are none (no interrupts).

And secondly.. dedicated action costs less ap. Run and gun (I named it run-and-shoot before) is 7 ap for run and 3x attack. While separately it would cost 17 AP for same distance (numbers depends on pose, weapon etc; but it's real model).

I see your point. This could (maybe even should) be changed for balancing reasons later on. But basically, I don't think these options are generally bad or that it dumbs it down right away. Ultimately, you have more tactical options in combat to choose from in stead. Of course, the AP costs should be balanced. I see it more like an addition not like that it was changed how combat generally works.