Should JA3 have an initiative system - or stick to IGOUGO?

ZeeraCamay

I'm a bit torn about this. I've enjoyed having initiative as a stat in other games (e.g. Battle Brothers, Wasteland 2/3, Fallout 1/2 etc), but notably, I never missed it in JA1 or 2.

Just wondering whether it would be a worthy inclusion in JA3? Anyone have any thoughts?

I think it should stick to what it's always been!

Team turns with interrupts.

Jagged Alliance 1 & 2 are UNIQUE games in the genre, JA3 should focus on keeping it unique and different enough from all the other copy/pasted systems.

It worked perfectly before, no reason that needs change!

I would just like to add - because, too late to edit post - that while my comment MIGHT sound a little too "restrictive", or old -schooler, as if I can't appreciate new ideas or change.

Not the case, I usually enjoy new and fresh ideas, I've always been at the forefront of computer tech, operating systems, etc.. Since Windows XP, I've always gotten my hands on Windows ever before it was publicly released, by at peast a year. I've already neen running Windows 11 as my OS sonce the late dev build, and I enjoy learning new things.

Thing is, maybe if this was Jagged Alliance 3 back when we first heard of JA3 by Strategy First, Akella and all that, I might be a little more open-minded.

..unfortunately, for me, there has been absolutely NO worthy successor since 1.13. My "patience" with the attempts, failures, lacking features has made me not even want to HEAR about any "new" twists on this title; which is also why I am so against any kind of similarities with an xcom-like modern interpretation.

While I will give it a fair try, regardless the changes, I will absolutely NOT tolerate a chrap attempt. The minute I sense this lacks the Jagged Alliance charm, it's going for refunds.

(I've actually completed Back in Action, Flashback, and I seriously tried hard to play Rage, so I am not just "raging" for the sake of complaining.)

• 6 months later...
On 12/22/2021 at 10:32 PM, GODSPEED said:

unfortunately, for me, there has been absolutely NO worthy successor since 1.13. My "patience" with the attempts, failures, lacking features has made me not even want to HEAR about any "new" twists on this title; which is also why I am so against any kind of similarities with an xcom-like modern interpretation.

Agreed! Nothing comes even close to 1.13. I really hope JA3 uses the same turn system.

On 12/22/2021 at 10:32 PM, GODSPEED said:

(I've actually completed Back in Action, Flashback, and I seriously tried hard to play Rage, so I am not just "raging" for the sake of complaining.)

Exactly the same here, tho I actually enjoyed BIA. I find the plan and go system a lot of fun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biff said:

Exactly the same here, tho I actually enjoyed BIA. I find the plan and go system a lot of fun.

I actually enjoyed that game as well, quite alot. But it still didn't feel like Jagged Alliance.

I enjoyed it as I enjoyed Brigade E5 and 7,62mm High Calibre.. as more of a Tactics game with less "soul" and humour.

igougo is perfect for small squad tactics and it actually feels more tactical as timing matters.