Options & Customizations

chr_isso

Hi everyone,

I thought I was going to start this topic, because I actually haven't read about it yet. After watching a lot of hours of JA3 streams from different streamers (mostly the bigger german streamers) I was really suprised of how little they knew about the game or series.
Maybe I'm just old, but things that we're normal for me as a JA2 Veteran, seemed to be suprising or confusing to the streamers.

So I want to bring up Game Options and Customizations: In JA2, I never liked the bugs/aliens that could appear in the mines of Drassen, Cambria, Grumm... so I was always turning them off.
As I did with Tree Tops, Show Movement Path etc etc.

So I really really hope the Devs will make the game as adjustable as possible: Show Multipiers Y/N, Show Misses, Show Chance-to Hit Percentage and so on and so on.

Why is that important? For people wanting to play the "OG JA2" experience, settings could be set which e.g. don't show hit percentages.
While people coming from X-COM, it would be weird not to see Hit-Percentages.

To appeal to as many players as possible, having options to play the game to a users preference would highly contribute to the games success.

What's your opinion?

• Like 1

I like the idea of options but I am also perfectly fine with certain things like hit percentages being hidden. JA2 is brilliant, no question about that but JA3 doesn't have to follow its prequel with absolute rigidity. As long as it doesn't take more inspiration from the XCOM reboot than it does JA2, I think it can do ok.

I am starting to look at the XCOM reboot as I do Call Of Duty. In other words, I see it as a pain in the ass that gives developers lack of creativity and innovation because they want a piece of that pie, while gamers (especially casuals) think it is the be all and end all. I get annoyed when I play a game that everyone acts like it is the Holy Grail, and I think to myself, "It's not that good. There is a lot I don't like about it.", while it continues to get awards and become a template for other games.

Things like the bugs in JA2 being an option, made more sense as it was a nice idea (and a fun one) but sometimes you want a modern day setting to stay just that. Whoever had the idea of the creatures being in JA2, did it right by making it optional. Otherwise, I could see people complaining about how the developers couldn't restrain themselves from including such things as huge bugs and Rocket Rifles.

• Like 1

Game Options and Customizations are important. I enjoyed much the "bugs/aliens", but never wanted to impose it to anyone. The same for creating your own character, I love it, but I know some people don't like or just don't care. What matters is that everyone gets the game they expect.

• Like 1

I am always a fan of as many settings and options as possible.  Even if it's not something that I would ever use myself, I recognize that giving the game a means to appeal to a wider audience is always a good thing. The more new (to the JA series) people play the game and like it the better the chances are of me getting more good JA content in the future. 🙂

• Like 3

Yeah, and the more the options the more it can suit a lot of players. Which could mean more income, resulting in more support and content.

Plus: replayability. That was the reason for "ton of guns" .. after the first playthrough, you might wanted to add a little complexity to the game and enjoy more guns.

Glad you see this as I do - let's hope the DEV read about this, too.

• Like 1

Having a variety of options and making the game modifiable can go a long way to making it work for as many people as possible. It can be a nuisance when a game is really good except for one thing that you might not like. Everyone has a different view of what that may be, so being able to tailor the game to your tastes is a definite bonus.

Edited by Solaris_Wave

I hope the game is modifiable, but I do wonder if it being made with a proprietary engine will limit that. At the least, I suspect it will require a higher level of knowledge in order to make mods.

Thanks to mods, I was able to get a lot of play time out of Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. That game was pretty rough without modding, but with modding it I got a lot of fun from it.

Hopefully Jagged Alliance 3 will not need mods "to fix major things", but will allow mods in order to "add extra things". 🙂

23 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

Everyone has a different view of what that may be, so being able to tailor the game to your tastes is a definite bonus.

Yes and no. If the devs plan releasing expansions, skins and new maps for $. Last thing they want is community making parallel game that may be more successful than vanilla. If community intents are not $ motivated, they usually are better suited to please fans, so risk is high.

I always dreamed about making my own JA remake, but i would only start such a project after winning the lottery, lol.

However I already had awesome ideas for DLC and seperate modes, like a Macgyver Mode where you start at the sector, have to reach some checkpoint wihtout using weapons, but a shitload of crafting recipes. 

Or a wh40k campaign of 6 to 10 sectors where you start as imperial soldier, dying during mission (scripted) and be reborn/made as a space marine and then you fight through tons of orcs and tyrannids.

So many possible options for round based games if the foundation - read engine - is done right...

16 minutes ago, chr_isso said:

16 minutes ago, chr_isso said:

Or a wh40k campaign of 6 to 10 sectors where you start as imperial soldier, dying during mission (scripted) and be reborn/made as a space marine and then you fight through tons of orcs and tyrannids.

Well...that's not how a space marine is born...an imperial soldier cannot become one he is too old and probably to weak...there are however plenty of posibilites of a game in the universe....

• Like 1

Toggleable options are good in my book, yes!
From what I've watched, Heamimont already has implemented some.
One thing I learned from 1.13, gazillions of options are good for those who know what they want and are told where to get them, but
1) You have to make them clear, accessible
2) You have to make a base game/mode working on its own, with balance. 
In 1.13, as example, the ennemy counterattacks were on by default (at least for some time), and ruined the balance of the game. The player had to face huge counterattacks as soon as he conquered a sector. It was unplayable without cheesing or savescumming.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, WolverineX23 said:

Well...that's not how a space marine is born...an imperial soldier cannot become one he is too old and probably to weak...there are however plenty of posibilites of a game in the universe....

Haha, yeah that's true. But you get the idea, i simply love the WH universe and thought some nice crossover/cooperation would work well for both franchises. Even if revenue would be split with GW or some license fees apply.

41 minutes ago, Grim said:

Toggleable options are good in my book, yes!
From what I've watched, Heamimont already has implemented some.
One thing I learned from 1.13, gazillions of options are good for those who know what they want and are told where to get them, but
1) You have to make them clear, accessible
2) You have to make a base game/mode working on its own, with balance. 
In 1.13, as example, the ennemy counterattacks were on by default (at least for some time), and ruined the balance of the game. The player had to face huge counterattacks as soon as he conquered a sector. It was unplayable without cheesing or savescumming.

Absolutely right:

You could make it with a toggle:

You need to activate advanced options manually, then choose between different presets and adjust the options set by the presets afterwards. 

On 4/24/2023 at 1:40 PM, chr_isso said:

Hi everyone,

I thought I was going to start this topic, because I actually haven't read about it yet. After watching a lot of hours of JA3 streams from different streamers (mostly the bigger german streamers) I was really suprised of how little they knew about the game or series.
Maybe I'm just old, but things that we're normal for me as a JA2 Veteran, seemed to be suprising or confusing to the streamers.

So I want to bring up Game Options and Customizations: In JA2, I never liked the bugs/aliens that could appear in the mines of Drassen, Cambria, Grumm... so I was always turning them off.
As I did with Tree Tops, Show Movement Path etc etc.

So I really really hope the Devs will make the game as adjustable as possible: Show Multipiers Y/N, Show Misses, Show Chance-to Hit Percentage and so on and so on.

Why is that important? For people wanting to play the "OG JA2" experience, settings could be set which e.g. don't show hit percentages.
While people coming from X-COM, it would be weird not to see Hit-Percentages.

To appeal to as many players as possible, having options to play the game to a users preference would highly contribute to the games success.

What's your opinion?

For me the bugs were great... that horror scary aspect sci-fi action? I loved it and it was so hard to beat the bugs on hardest dif... I JUST LOVED IT! 😄 SECTORS SHOULD BE BIGGER MUCH BIGGER... these small X-COM sectors dont fit the JA games... you should not see every enemy instantly... you should have to find them camping somewhere in the building ready for you to open dors and smash you 1shot with shotgun.. I want the OPTION to turn percentages on/off ...I would want them ON cause I just like it not just circle and AP spended for me its not right... 

• Like 2