Ammo naming

wilku

Why on earth did you devs decide to make two confusing ammo types (7.62 NATO and WP)?
And WTF is with calling them NATO or WP in the inventory, but 51 / 39 mm in weapon description?
Is consistency really such a friggin challenge?

Also: if you wanted to make a differentaition, it really wouldn't hurt to call 7.62 NATO just .308 Winchester.

It's not like the in-game calibers are historically acurate anyway, so why cause the unnecessary confusion?

In JA2, they called it 7.62mm WP, which was short and convenient to read on the small UI. WP was the initials for Warsaw Pact. I would have either called it 7.62mm Soviet or, preferably 7.62x39mm. There was a 7.62x39mm Yugoslavian cartridge that had different properties to the Soviet cartridge and hence why JA2's developers might have gone with the WP definition. I assume that as JA3 is supposed to follow on from JA2, they are keeping the naming of cartridges consistent.

If I mod JA3, I am going to add a few more cartridges and rename them. I don't like WP being the initials for Warsaw Pact anyway. To me, WP is White Phosphorus.

Edited by Solaris_Wave

I am familiar with what WP stands for (I live in Warsaw πŸ˜‰ ), and that's just a piece of history. I'd live with a consistent 7.62 WP / NATO marking. Now I need to do the brainwork and on each weapon I need to double-think to recall that x39 is the WP and x51 is NATO, and that SVD is chambered the same as AK, and that WWII Gewehr uses NATO standard...Β which doesn't make any sense πŸ˜„
Β 

• Like 1

+1

I'm no firearms expert, but I noticed plenty of things wrong with JA3's weapons.

The Gewehr 98, Dragunov, AK74, RPK, and AKSU have the wrong ammo type.

I don't think the Desert Eagle should hold 15 rounds.

I don't think the Dragunov should have burst fire?

It's fun to try to fix this stuff.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Biff said:

+1

I'm no firearms expert, but I noticed plenty of things wrong with JA3's weapons.

Β 

I have no issues with inaccuracies or simplifications. I can even live with Dragunov having a burst mode (it's kind of silly when my psycho IMP shoots a burst instead of a single headshot πŸ™‚ ) However unnecessary mess (inconsistent naming) doesnt' serve any purpose in the game.

As a gun nut, seeing all these inaccuracies with the weapons makes my eye twitch. If and when I mod the game, I might be making the guns a little more 'boring' but at least they will be closer to real life. That Dragunov should be using 7.62x54mmR and be semi-auto only. It is a long range rifle after all. I haven't seen the Desert Eagle yet, so I don't even know what calibre it uses in the game. Whichever one it uses, it certainly doesn't hold 15 rounds in the magazine. The .50AE version holds 7 in the mag, .44 Magnum holds 8, and the .357 Magnum holds 9. I can't remember what capacity the .41AE and .440 Cor-Bon versions are, as I am bit rusty on those.