Great game. Please bring back Bobby Ray's for ammo needs.

Durandal

Ammo is so hit and miss/RNG dependent right now.   I miss Bobby Ray's.   Ammo shortages are compromising my progression resulting in a cock-up cascade as the mines run dry, I run out of money, reload, etc. 

Currently the gameplay favors Gewehrs and other bolt-actions with headshots basically, because ammo is scarce.   I think this needs to be fixed to make sure all methods of play are equally viable.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Durandal said:

Currently the gameplay favors Gewehrs and other bolt-actions with headshots basically, because ammo is scarce.   I think this needs to be fixed to make sure all methods of play are equally viable.

So, in other words, combat is back to single shots aimed at the head, which was what I was urging the developers to get away from as that method of play pretty much dominated JA2.

Why is ammo scarce? How are enemy soldiers supposed to deal with it? Shouldn't they suffer an ammo shortage as well? Have they got special weapons and ammo that dissolve as soon as they die and your mercs get near it?

I get why the crafting system was implemented but they went all-out with it, instead of making it an additional, fun feature. Even if your mercs couldn't help themselves to weapons left by fallen enemies, their unused ammo should always be be available.

I would have made it so any weapon used by an enemy could be picked up by your mercs, either for use, to turn into spare parts, or to sell. To avoid having too many weapons at the beginning, I would have made them poor quality or in poor condition, except for the odd, prize weapon that might have been previously stolen or picked up off some dead foe (former unknown merc or PMC, maybe?). This method would encourage use of weapons brought into the country or bought. Meanwhile, building up a collection of weapons from dead enemies allows one or more mercs to break those guns down into parts to make one or two better quality guns (but still of average quality in total). That way, you might be able to switch to using an AKM, FN FAL or CETME that would be used by early foes, but you couldn't easily equip everybody with one. Your starting merc weapons would be more reliable.

In terms of ammo availability, I would have made many cartridge types available at all times, with Soviet ammo being the most abundant, followed by 7.62x51mm NATO and 9mm Parabellum, then WWII-era. Most of that ammo would be of varying quality, being corrosive (especially Soviet and WWII), requiring sooner maintenance of weapons. It would be cheap so trying to sell it would gain very little money (buyers would already have plenty of it).

Better weapons and ammo (including more modern calibres) would become available to you as better enemies arrive, for completing missions and contracts for NPCs, from sales from vendors either in shops around Grand Chien (who are sympathetic to your cause and keep those items otherwise hidden), black marketeers or dealers who can import weapons into the country.

For the latter, we could call them Robby Bay's.

Edited by Solaris_Wave
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

So, in other words, combat is back to single shots aimed at the head, which was what I was urging the developers to get away from as that method of play pretty much dominated JA2.

Why is ammo scarce? How are enemy soldiers supposed to deal with it? Shouldn't they suffer an ammo shortage as well? Have they got special weapons and ammo that dissolve as soon as they die and your mercs get near it?

Well, there are negative reviews on steam because they introduced mechanics to make SMGs more useful. And I've used run and gun a couple of times, it adds a fun factor, but people complain that it's stupid. Getting shot in the head is deadly, so it's kinda natural that is the best option to deal with opponents, maybe it's not fun for everyone, but it's a weird thing to complain about lack of realism in some aspects of the game and then complain it's not gamey enough in others.

Ammo is scarce because of design, it's meant to be a "struggle for survival" kind of thing. All games that are not modded has limited drops from enemies, just because it is a game and not a realistic simulation and it's supposed to be a difficult build up. If not you could go into the first zone with pistols, take down enemies and then be fully rigged for the rest of the game. There is a natural build up over the course of the game. Personally I've captured a decent chunk of the map, and still haven't struggled properly for ammo. I've had to make some choices to divvy up what kind of weapons caliber I've used to avoid running out, but that's how it is.

It was the same in JA2, I could mow down 5 enemies and get one pistol, a medkit and some shotgun slugs instead of proper ammo.

It's probably gonna get modded. So people can get the game they want after a while.

It is important that plus or minus over 90 percent of the majority mentioned is suitable for relatively easy improvement - you just need to want to refine JA3 - we count on the involvement of the Creators - especially since they are also fans of JA series.

image.png