Review of the Game So Far

anon474

1 the camera is too close to the action, in my opinion. this is a screenshot from ja2 (1.13 but still same resolution afaik) and ja3 side by side.

ss_af2bb3c48a01cf0c5276f5a968d9b42ed20c2ss_58b4305cef2bc9b7bce9c91f45c9426d3c326

the second screenshot is borderline third person. Now of course I'm sure camera distance will be variable and so on, but the way the level is designed (is it a huge level with a city and 50 buildings, or is it a very small map like in silent storm or in something like ja flashback for example), and the default camera distance will have an impact in terms of how strategic the strategy will be, versus how fast-paced and non-strategic it will be.

This is another example of a very zoomed out isometric camera as was really widespread back in the day for all kinds of strategies, swat 2 shown here, rollercoaster tycoon, theme hospital.

b2cgtqj.png0da3e1aa115682fb7ed5a64f8caa6aed_rollercrbz2q17yukuhy0hrlbbu.jpg

In a shot like this you can see JA3 also take on a similar distance, but, is it by default, it might not be.

ss_cae85acc6e98f11facae4e8d81f6194f0ccb1

2 i'm not the biggest fan of the full-window screens for weapon inspect, and for dialogue. I think aesthetically it looks both a bit ugly, and doesn't fit a strategy. I would prefer to have smaller window-in-windows, both for inventory, for item inspection, and for dialogue. JA2 already did dialogue this way after all, easy small window-in-window. I think with dialogue it might be justified, but with weapon inspect, I don't think that full-window mode needs to exist at all, you can inspect a weapon perfectly well in a comparatively small window. examples:

Conversation_01.jpg.8a672d086ff7e562c9ca

229493809_6-questsandquirkyNPCs.thumb.jp

p1_1998664_36833582.jpg

(Also is it just me, or do a lot of characters in JA3 have a permanent smirk on their face? I think there should be a bit more variety in terms of facial expression and the apparent emotion the merc is feeling. Also I don't know if I think a smirk is a "good" expression to have on somebody's face, if somebody is smirking at me I think they might be smug or might be trying to laugh at me which I take in a combative way. This all goes into this modern philosophy of making every character super-overpowered, super happy, super confident, to where they have these insane smirks (you see this in anime sometimes, where each character is grinning for no reason and is insanely overconfident for no reason)).

3 i like the music, but, i think some of the songs sound a bit generic and not jagged-alliance enough. maybe some of the compositions should be the original songs from ja2, in higher quality, with some additions made by the composer if they think it'll help. If you try to write a composition similar to another composition maybe you will sometimes intentionally try to avoid notes of the original composition, but this can sometimes make the new composition sound weird or off because you're on purpose avoiding the notes of the old composition. Also I believe I heard the battle music being played somewhere, either on the livestream or elsewhere, and it sounds very world war 2-y, like something out of war thunder, or similar ww2 style videogames and movies. Also I think some of the JA2 compositions are timeless in a way, the laptop theme is very good (despite only being 1 chord on horns i think, with some marimbas or something being played on top of that and a lead guitar coming in every once in a while), and the battle music in ja2 was especially top notch and like VERY heavy. So was the main menu music in JA2, both are very very brutal compositions, really utilizing the classical orchestra to the utmost and having very un-classical sounding compositions (but good of course). Overall I think the soundtrack needs a bit more ja2 type sound, which is very much: 80s, that one synth horns patch that everybody used in 80s and 90s, lead guitar, and maybe some marimbas to give that tropical feeling. the four compositions that capture JA2 to me are the main music theme with how it just comes out of nowhere and blasts you with the horns and the military drums, laptop theme, battle theme especially with its like very dynamic scaling (7:50 in video below) slides on the strings and whatever else there is, and the post-battle victory music which I think is great, very relaxed, etc, and also very timeless and emblematic. i get that a lot of compositions are in-genre for jagged alliance, but i think they can be refined a bit more, and i think additional compositions can be written to sound more like 80s synth and leadguitar type music.

4 I think not including %-to-hit anywhere, whether as a bar like in ja2, or as an explicit hit percentage is a really bad idea. Like really bad. Because then it just becomes all guesswork, how are you supposed to know if one weapon is better than another if you swap to it and still don't know the hit percentage. How are you supposed to know if you can hit from the current distance or if you should move in closer.

5 I do not like how run-down a lot of the levels look like. This is another strong contention of mine, along with number 4: in ja2 while you were in a third-world country occupied by a dictator, you were fighting in SAM-site installations, modern military bases, you were fighting in modern airports, with modern hangars and clean-looking modern-looking cement roads and so on. Was it realistic? Not necessarily. But did it look good? I think so. I don't think it looks good to be fighting somebody who look like villagers in what looks to be favellas, you want to be fighting cool looking elite military units! but instead it looks like you're fighting local criminals and impoverished riff-raff. It looks like you're fighting drug dealers on a local street.

6 I do not necessarily love what I've seen of the enemies so far, I don't think they're bad, but I would prefer for them to look a bit more formal and cooler, I do not want to be fighting villagers or people who look more like local gang members or criminals or drug dealers than a modern military. I think some of the facepaints are very over the top, you can keep them but make them much more restrained and smaller. or the facepaint squads can be a rare type of squad that only shows up sometimes, maybe it belongs to a certain smaller faction.

7 I think it's a BIT weird to see random mercs, like for example like Ivan, clearly not wearing a vest, fighting in the battlefield. There's gotta be a way to modify the mesh to stick a vest onto him. This goes back to the whole idea of "I don't want to be fighting villagers, and I also don't want my guys to look like random civilians that picked up a firearm".

8 I don't think it's a big deal, and I don't even think its a bad system (I just think it can be improved upon), but I think the inventory system is very simple and if you can bring in a LBE system from 1.13 with some better progression (a lot of LBE becomes basically same by volume of overall items that can be stored after a certain point very early), that'd be a lot better.

9 i think some of the levels look really overpopulated with objects, which makes them look unclean, or like a bomb went off, or a zombie apocalypse broke out. I think it's ok to make them look a bit cleaner, if there are cars there, maybe the cars look like they've been parked, and aren't at a weird angle...maybe get rid of some of the trash, and replace it with some other useless objects like telephone booths, or poles or square bollards.

10 the overall feel seems to be closer to xcom than to jagged alliance, because there's much more of an emphasis on individual mercs, those individual mercs stand out (instead of all having the same model like in ja2), and stand out very clearly by having very different clothing, and the action takes place at a much more CQB basis than otherwise. I don't think it's a bad thing or a deal-breaker, and I don't think ja3 is xcom, it just has a feel that's closer in that direction. It feels a bit less serious and more "fun!", and while humor existed in ja, it was always a very serious affair, or that's how i interpreted it anyways. but i don't think it's a big deal or a big problem, whether a strategy becomes ja or something like xcom 2 depends on the underlying gameplay mechanics, and the gameplay mechanics seem to be in-touch with ja2. but you gotta bring in % to hit, without it, it's like one chair-leg missing from a chair, we need good dense depthy strategy, we don't need very simple point n click simulators. Also we should have variable zoom levels (I already saw those, those are great, especially if they can be modified with attachments and perks sometimes).

11 please remember to include one-liners in the game, I'm not sure how the VO is done, but, a key staple of almost all strategies from this generation, including RTSes, was one-liners. you had this in starcraft with very memorable one-liners from units, you had this in red alert 2, you had this in ja2. very iconic lines that were said in a interesting way by a merc, that would get stuck in your brain because they were repeated 200 times.

12 dead stats are inevitable so don't feel too bad if a perk is not as good as the others, or a stat isn't as useful. and if you really need to make it useful, just add some other stats to the perk or stat, like if there's a particularly average perk, add +10hp or +1ap to it to really make it useful again.

-----

overall as long as ja3 mechanically is similar to ja2 i don't care, but there are ways to make the same ja title more or less interesting.

Edited by anon474
  • Like 1

And of course, and as per usual, I'm not attacking any of the devs, I'm just reviewing what I've seen of the game, and where I think the developers should spend more time, and what their next steps can be, if they think everything is good then I can maybe point out things that they've missed or overlooked, etc. It's all love and support ❤️ kissy kissy smooch smooch other girly stuff etc.

Edited by anon474

1 hour ago, anon474 said:

Now of course I'm sure camera distance will be variable and so on, but the way the level is designed (is it a huge level with a city and 50 buildings, or is it a very small map like in silent storm or in something like ja flashback for example), and the default camera distance will have an impact in terms of how strategic the strategy will be, versus how fast-paced and non-strategic it will be.

U already answered your question my friend.

I don't think that full-window mode needs to exist at all, you can inspect a weapon perfectly well in a comparatively small window.

Its already done. Deal with it.

(Also is it just me, or do a lot of characters in JA3 have a permanent smirk on their face? I think there should be a bit more variety in terms of facial expression and the apparent emotion the merc is feeling. Also I don't know if I think a smirk is a "good" expression to have on somebody's face, if somebody is smirking at me I think they might be smug or might be trying to laugh at me which I take in a combative way.

Oh Gosh... For the love of Jesus... Man...

I think not including %-to-hit anywhere, whether as a bar like in ja2, or as an explicit hit percentage is a really bad idea. Like really bad.

Original JA2 had no %-to-hit and it was okay. When i played JA2 modes it was okay to see chances too. I think best solution for this: make it switchable in options.

It looks like you're fighting drug dealers on a local street.

I think there will be several types of enemies. But i agree with u. Alot of question to game design.

I think some of the facepaints are very over the top, you can keep them but make them much more restrained and smaller

Yes, its another question to game design. Wtf is this clown guys? Really?

I think it's a BIT weird to see random mercs, like for example like Ivan, clearly not wearing a vest, fighting in the battlefield. There's gotta be a way to modify the mesh to stick a vest onto him.

Yes, this is a very big mistake. Probably no solution for this already. Mb they can add variable skins for mercs. They can try to monetize it. But im not sure how helpful it would be.

i think some of the levels look really overpopulated with objects, which makes them look unclean, or like a bomb went off, or a zombie apocalypse broke out. I think it's ok to make them look a bit cleaner

Totally disagree with u on this.

please remember to include one-liners in the game

Im sure it will be done. And probably not bad at all.

I'm not attacking any of the devs

This funny one. If u ask me I would fire lead game designer after release instantly.

Edited by Lunokhod

8 I don't think it's a big deal, and I don't even think its a bad system (I just think it can be improved upon), but I think the inventory system is very simple and if you can bring in a LBE system from 1.13 with some better progression (a lot of LBE becomes basically same by volume of overall items that can be stored after a certain point very early), that'd be a lot better.

This is the one that really gets me. The inventory does seem very basic. I've mentioned that I'd like to see the LBE system brought in many times before as I think it adds a lot to gameplay including personalizing your mercs for roles. Grenadiers should have a bunch of grenade pouches, ammo mule and machine gunner should have ammo pouches, medic have med pouches, gun hauler have a big ass bag for hauling weapons, etc. It seems like they don't want merc to have specific roles in this regard which I think is a mistake.

2 hours ago, anon474 said:

Now of course I'm sure camera distance will be variable and so on, but the way the level is designed (is it a huge level with a city and 50 buildings, or is it a very small map like in silent storm or in something like ja flashback for example), and the default camera distance will have an impact in terms of how strategic the strategy will be, versus how fast-paced and non-strategic it will be.

58 minutes ago, Lunokhod said:

U already answered your question my friend.

No, having a camera that's zoomed out by default is very different to a camera that starts out zoomed in. The level of zoom implies the type of genre and level of action that'll take place.

I don't think that full-window mode needs to exist at all, you can inspect a weapon perfectly well in a comparatively small window.

Its already done. Deal with it.

Somebody is too stupid to understand that UI is very easy to move around and change around, much easier than 3D content most definitely.

(Also is it just me, or do a lot of characters in JA3 have a permanent smirk on their face? I think there should be a bit more variety in terms of facial expression and the apparent emotion the merc is feeling. Also I don't know if I think a smirk is a "good" expression to have on somebody's face, if somebody is smirking at me I think they might be smug or might be trying to laugh at me which I take in a combative way.

Oh Gosh... For the love of Jesus... Man...

What, am I speaking at a level too far above yours? Your little intelligence cannot grasp it? Lol.

I think not including %-to-hit anywhere, whether as a bar like in ja2, or as an explicit hit percentage is a really bad idea. Like really bad.

Original JA2 had no %-to-hit and it was okay. When i played JA2 modes it was okay to see chances too. I think best solution for this: make it switchable in options.

Original JA2 had a very close proxy which was a bar that filled up as you got higher chance to hit percentages. You are on cocaine if you do not understand how having one might as well mean you have the other my stupid friend.

It looks like you're fighting drug dealers on a local street.

I think there will be several types of enemies. But i agree with u. Alot of question to game design.

That's not game design, that's asset and enemy and world design and setting design. Again you're stupid and are wasting my time. I don't care what you think.

I think some of the facepaints are very over the top, you can keep them but make them much more restrained and smaller

Yes, its another question to game design. Wtf is this clown guys? Really?

I don't think you understand what I was saying but sure.

I think it's a BIT weird to see random mercs, like for example like Ivan, clearly not wearing a vest, fighting in the battlefield. There's gotta be a way to modify the mesh to stick a vest onto him.

Yes, this is a very big mistake. Probably no solution for this already. Mb they can add variable skins for mercs. They can try to monetize it. But im not sure how helpful it would be.

They solve problems like this usually just by getting rid of personalized skins and instead adopting universal skins any soldier can wear. It saves devs a lot of time too, they only have to (and I mean HAVE to design, maybe they will want to design more, but they only have to) design 4 outfits and they're pretty much done. Some basic uniform, then a medium one and an advanced one. Job done.

Yes it makes soldiers look less unique, but it makes soldiers or mercs look like actual soldiers and mercs. I'd much rather have a very generic soldier in a t-shirt, bulletproof vest, and cargo pants, if it looks like he fits in a war zone.

i think some of the levels look really overpopulated with objects, which makes them look unclean, or like a bomb went off, or a zombie apocalypse broke out. I think it's ok to make them look a bit cleaner

Totally disagree with u on this.

Look at the new videos, they have clutter everywhere. Are you fighting in a street or in a junkyard.

please remember to include one-liners in the game

Im sure it will be done. And probably not bad at all.

Says the guy who thinks JA3 will be a disaster, but also defending devs when he has no reason to do so, based on no evidence.

It's in no way a guarantee that devs will even be consciously aware of the 90s and 2000s paradigm of basing VO mostly off one-liners and restricting "full" VO to big scenes (actually most of the time probably unnecessary and kind of not good, imo). When paradigms shift, new generations come into an industry, or just technology changes and now it's financially acceptable for any size studio to do "full" VO, often people can start to think that just because they can, that they should, and the don't realize how emblematic and iconic some of the non-full, one-liner type VO was, and how good the old way of doing things was, even if nobody exactly defined what the "old way" was.

I'm not attacking any of the devs

This funny one. If u ask me I would fire lead game designer after release instantly.

Ok tough guy. I'd fire you immediately and see how you cry.

1 hour ago, DougS2K said:

This is the one that really gets me. The inventory does seem very basic. I've mentioned that I'd like to see the LBE system brought in many times before as I think it adds a lot to gameplay including personalizing your mercs for roles. Grenadiers should have a bunch of grenade pouches, ammo mule and machine gunner should have ammo pouches, medic have med pouches, gun hauler have a big ass bag for hauling weapons, etc. It seems like they don't want merc to have specific roles in this regard which I think is a mistake.

I don't think it's that bad, because you still have RPG mechanics affecting inventory space, they're just very simple. I don't think it's a big deal. It seems simple, but I don't think it's that bad.

Look at the new videos, they have clutter everywhere. Are you fighting in a street or in a junkyard.

I dont know man, i think its very realistic. I mean this place is a big african junkyard. And i like this mess. They have no janitor's in this country and nobody gives a f*ck about anything. They just shit everywhere and nobody cares. Pretty realistic. ^__^

Offtopic: This anon474 guy is upset and angry at me after some of my threads. If this forum have moderators i want to say im totally okay when he call me "stupid" or whatever he wants. Im okay with it. Please dont punish him.

Edited by Lunokhod

22 minutes ago, Lunokhod said:

I dont know man, i think its very realistic. I mean this place is a big african junkyard. And i like this mess. They have no janitor's in this country and nobody gives a f*ck about anything. They just shit everywhere and nobody cares. Pretty realistic. ^__^

Offtopic: This anon474 guy is upset and angry at me after some of my threads. If this forum have moderators i want to say im totally okay when he call me "stupid" or whatever he wants. Im okay with it. Please dont punish him.

I don't think they would punish me, you're the one who started talking sh-- to me saying to "deal with it", and most of your replies were dismissive if not insulting, and you just called for the head designer to be fired immediately. I think I'm good.

Realistic or not realistic, we can agree to disagree, there's no point trying to force your opinion on another person. I'm not looking for absolute realism, I'm ok if they have modern architecture, because modern architecture looks good, even if they would not have modern architecture in the country.

Edited by anon474

3 hours ago, anon474 said:

I don't think you understand what I was saying but sure.

Sorry, its my english. I didnt mean u are a clown. Its about this enemies with makeup. They are looks like a clowns. If devs want to make them less human - do them in masks... like average black masks, balaclava's. But i pretty sure its already done and no one will redraw them. So forget about this. Again.

3 hours ago, anon474 said:

Says the guy who thinks JA3 will be a disaster, but also defending devs when he has no reason to do so, based on no evidence.

Well, let me explain. I think it will be done because its not very hard. You just need to pay to voice actor or use text-to-speech generators, there is alot of modern software with decent results, pretty megical.

4 hours ago, anon474 said:

They solve problems like this usually just by getting rid of personalized skins and instead adopting universal skins any soldier can wear.

Okay. Yes. This is solution. But I'm not sure that developers will do it. Actually I completely dont undestand wtf this guys thinking about. All this project looks like a sinking Titanic for me right now.

1) camera - if it's variable, it's ok.. but remember there are some performance limits tied to camera distance, and I hope "too close" is not because of consoles

2) fullscreen dialogues - sure this is because of consoles (or pc/controller), so the dialogues are clearly visible and have simple navigation if multiple answers / reactions are available for players. Also it make you connected to characters you talk to (supposedly), I believe.

3) music - I don't care, I play my music

4) CtH - yes, very true - we need clear indication of weapon handling and its correct usage, as you say: is the weapon used in good range? are my skills ok for this weapon? do the weapon have capable durability? We need red-orange-green CtH communication at least. I don't think we neccessary need exact %.

5,9) level design - I do agree there is such clutter.. from trailers, it is clear there are boxes, tables, barrels, stones etc. placed only to help players to hide behind them. Very xcomish.. not good. (screen attached)  I'd like to deal with environment.. not search the paths level designer created for me.

6) enemy design - hopefully they evolve from local drug dealers to proper soldiers later, as the conflict intensifies. Main issue I see: There is not going to be "what you wear is what you see" (wywiwys) element developed (as stated by devs), I am very sure this apply to enemies too, because if devs  invested time to wywiwys, I doubt they wouldn't use it for mercs also. So enemies needs to be predesigned in variants (grenadier, armored, speeder etc.) and that, again, is very xcomish. Also it means: Will every armored enemy looks same as every other armored enemy? Will we precisely distinguish enemies by their 3d model? If yes.. it's not good imo.

7) mercs design - I am very afraid scrapping wywiwys is because of monetization of skins. You clearly can't allow players to cover mercs models with equipment, if you want to sell those models. Devs reasioning (individuality of mercs) doesn't ding for me. I am playing JA2 with wywiwys, and I still recognize all mercs by their weapons, language, portrait, one-liners, shirt/pants colors even if they are covered with military equipment and bags.

8. lbe - we already know weight plays role in the inventory system, that's nice. I like system, where you have to decide what you can / will carry to the next map. I don't think it needs to be as diverse as 1.13 lbe, where there is many options but you want to use only two of them. I am afraid (again) inventory screen is designed with controllers in mind and devs believe simplification in ux is better than complexity in gameplay.

10) xcomlike - yes, it has that feel. Every gameplay feature that is simplified from JA2 make the game more xcomish. Also "console first" design is related to that feel. We need to accept that games need to be accessible in current era. Hopefully it's still a complex game behind its simplified look.

11) oneliners - already mentioned few times, and presented in trailer, no doubt devs care them also

12) dead stats - not sure what you're talking about

ja3_clutter.jpg

Wow, you must be really bored with your life. This bitch isn't even out yet and you wrote a wall of text complaining about every little thing you could find in the trailer. I believe it's safe to say JA3 isn't going to be like JA2, and it certainly isn't going to be like 1.13, so if that's all you want out of it then maybe you should forget about it and move on with your life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Urethra Franklin said:

Wow, you must be really bored with your life. This bitch isn't even out yet and you wrote a wall of text complaining about every little thing you could find in the trailer. I believe it's safe to say JA3 isn't going to be like JA2, and it certainly isn't going to be like 1.13, so if that's all you want out of it then maybe you should forget about it and move on with your life.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe you can learn how to shut the f up and not give us your input the next time. lol

It's good faith outside feedback that they can dismiss entirely or use in part or in whole. Developers have said that they are currently playing around with features, which means this is exactly the right time to do something like this. I know that the game is not out, but it doesn't matter. The developer benefits from outside feedback and this can give them a expectation for what they will see when the release comes out, so they're not surprised, and so they can make some adjustments or fix some shortcomings that they might think are fine or they might think the customer doesn't care about before release. It doesn't hurt to have neutrally phrased feedback to the dev team from the outside in terms of what people like and don't like.

Edited by anon474

My biggest concerns right now are the character design and level size and animations.

The general tone is too goofy, especially look of the enemie is bad.

Maybe the developers are afraid to make it too serious out of political correctness. But i do not get it, why take Africa as a narrative and then be afraid to design the soldiers appropiate to the theme.

Another thing is the characters design of the mercs. I think its a good decision, that they look different from each other, but some of them are just lame or overly comical. The females (Fox for example) are also too unatracctive designed for my taste. In todays gaming world this is the new standard, but for a game like JA3 i would expect a little more 90s approach.

So modding support would be great.

For the level design, its important, that there are some bigger distances. Always standing 6 meters from the enemy looks stupid and gives an unrealistic feel for weapon ranges, especially for snipinging. I also hope, that the enemies are seeking cover etc and nut just stand in the open field in firefights.

The animations are not looking good so far, i hope they try some improvements.

What i like so far is the fact, that the developers defenetly are going into some rpg details, and try to get the different aspects of JA2 together, worldmap, tactical gameplay, rpg, story. I just hope they try to get the different aspects really right. The JA brand has so much potential, but you have to get it right.

• Like 5

Just looking the beta gameplay on switch.

Aiming System looks good, but the aiming symbol should Mode to the head, when aiming at it.

Map range is looking ok, so far.

The new Mercs on the A.I.M site, are really a disappointment on the first look. Like Anon already said, the screenwide conversation window is not good. Good is that the mercs make some comments, in conversation.

• Like 1

U know guys when i look at this i just dont understand how it possible. Map designer not a bad guy. He actually trying. Mb the only one in this project who dont deserve hate. But it feels like if you did it in good 2d maybe it would be more successful. I dont know how to explain.

3 minutes ago, Bloodcat said:

The character creation right now looks awful

Forget about IMP. Its not a big problem. This is very small detail. This game needs more movement in the frame. This game needs more animation and vfx. It looks too static and thats why it looks sucks. First they need to do - bring some life and movement into this game.

I agree on the animations, the animation where the enemy just fall over the same and don't react when shot, it could be more varied, There's lack of sound also from the enemies when injured or dying, but maybe they haven't added those in?.

• Like 3

I also like a more zoomed out camera. It gives a feel of scale. This close up camera setting often creates the impression that you play a console or mobile title. I do not like limited prefabricated combat areas. The sectors should be big and natural. Also the combat grid with it shield icons screams nuXCOM. The Enemies also look way too colorful and cartoony. With these Halloween face paints you can not take them seriously.

The animation when a enemy or a merc got hit by a bullet should also be more diversified. They should react to wounds and should also hold their body. In general there must be more commentaries by the mercs and enemies when they get hurt and enemy soldiers should also get voices. Maybe some of this is simply not finished yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Acid said:

I agree on the animations, the animation where the enemy just fall over the same and don't react when shot, it could be more varied, There's lack of sound also from the enemies when injured or dying, but maybe they haven't added those in?.

I take back on what I said about the enemy falling over the same, I saw some more footage and they do die differently,

Only thing is when you hit them there's not much feedback or reaction, they just seem to absorb it.