"Look in direction" missing?

Goliath

Enemies do seem to be less aware of you if you approach from behind. Mercs can see 360 however.

I believe that they made overwatch the way it is in JA3 to stop the JA2 interrupt cheese. In JA2 you just set up multiple stacking viewing cones like overwatch in JA3. Unlike JA3 however, you have complete freedom, making interrupts extremely powerful and loaded in the player's favour. You essentially get to have your turn in the middle of your opponent's turn. You can aim, you can run, you can shoot, you can correct your mistakes. All this while it's not your turn. You can completely change the course of battle in JA2 just by preventing snowball effects from an otherwise uninterrrupted whole enemy turn.

In JA3 overwatch, you fire from the hip. If you miss, you're done. If an enemy rushes you with a machete, you're screwed. If they survive your volley of fire, you're in a bad spot. There is no course correcting.

10 hours ago, D13 said:

Overwatch causes the merc to automatically open fire once an enemy moves into the vision cone. Can you configure overwatch to not do that, and instead, say, move or go prone?

It’s such a bolloxed artificial ‚problem’. All your mercs have 360 vision (like it always was in JA and all tactical games pretty much). All you need to do is position your scout where you need him/her to be. Get him into hidden mode. And once he detects the enemy do whatever you’d normally do. No need to set overwatch which serves different purpose. 

15 minutes ago, Tzg said:

It’s such a bolloxed artificial ‚problem’. All your mercs have 360 vision (like it always was in JA and all tactical games pretty much). All you need to do is position your scout where you need him/her to be. Get him into hidden mode. And once he detects the enemy do whatever you’d normally do. No need to set overwatch which serves different purpose. 

I'm not sure where you see me having a problem with this, as I agree it serves a different purpose. That's why I entered this discussion by pointing out the difference between overwatch and the "look here" button in previous JA versions.

32 minutes ago, D13 said:

I'm not sure where you see me having a problem with this, as I agree it serves a different purpose. That's why I entered this discussion by pointing out the difference between overwatch and the "look here" button in previous JA versions.

I really don't. Just replied and quoted first answer to my post - happened to be yours 😛

However! There was no function of 'look here' button in JA2. It served no other purpose than just saving 1-2AP if you had any left for next turn. Your merc had 360 vsion anyways... changing where they were looking at made zero difference. 

Edited by Tzg