"Look in direction" missing?

Goliath

love the game, but the irs one particular thing missing that imiss all the time:

let your mercs look in any certain direction. I don't mean overwatch.

In Ja2 there was one icon for it called "Look" , it just simply made your merc turn in whatever direction you want him to face.
I also subconsciously try to click midde mousewheel button to do so. I dont remmember if JA2 was like that, but it would be great.

yeah i can do that with overwatch, but it costs a lot AP and makes the merc...overwatch, whitch is not needed.
just simply choose which direction he or she looks at.

oh, also: sidestep?
make the merc face on direction and when moving keep facing that way?

9 minutes ago, D13 said:

Can enemies also see in all directions, or do they have an invisible vision cone? Does it make a difference from which direction we approach them?

Yeah, that's how stealth melee kills work.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaywalker said:

Overwatch is your "look here" button, it serves the same exact function: interrupting the enemy turn.

Well, it does both interrupting and looking into a wanted direction. But if only want to look into a certain direction that function is missing ... but can live with that so far.

• Like 1

Haha, why do people want to micro manage their mercs? Do you also do this to people at work? Let the mercs do their own team level micro management, checking sectors, distributing ammo, reloading at end of combat, ammo count check, take a piss break, smoko, ...etc. It's like the mercs are doing all this by themselves, to free up your time to do other important tasks.

At platoon and company level, your tasks are to arrange logistics, hire & fire, transport of newbies, arrange the medical/repairs/crafting/R&R/training, negotiate for more funding, strategic movement orders, etc. You have enough to do already, don't be wasting time looking over peoples' shoulder.   

• Like 1

Well, that is a core part of the game and always has been: telling your mercenaries where to move, when to lay down, who to shoot, where to throw grenades, and much more (micromanagement at its best), so telling them where to look is just as essential and to be honest I have been missing this function too.
"Overwatch" does offer a good workaround though and since the mercenaries have a 360 ° vision radius and therefore automatically turn to the enemy once they see them I don't think we need this option. All we need is to get used to this approach. ☺️

• Like 1

What?? Mercs have a 360 vision?? 

Wtf why??? 

Oh god this is horrible. 

So enemies can no longer sneak up on me if i dont cover my surroundings? 

This is so dumb and a huge letdown. 

Why would you do that to this game??? 

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

What?? Mercs have a 360 vision?? 

Wtf why??? 

Oh god this is horrible. 

So enemies can no longer sneak up on me if i dont cover my surroundings? 

This is so dumb and a huge letdown. 

Can you imagine the complaining the first time someone got jumped from behind 🤣

Yes, people complain that AI does not play by the same rules and has unlimited ammo and crazy accuracy... Now imagine your mercs being killed by headshots one after another while you are running on the map trying to find the shooters 🙂

Edited by sandman25dcsss

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

Cause it's been that way in all of the previous ones, not to mention 99% of all tactical games ever?

The only reason to turn your characters around manually in JA2 was to avoid the cost of doing so on the next turn. All entities always had 360 vision, having a frontal FoV was a modded "feature".

8 hours ago, Jaywalker said:

Overwatch is your "look here" button, it serves the same exact function: interrupting the enemy turn.

The tactical difference I see is that overwatch tells the merc to shoot on sight, whereas in JA2 I could choose what action to take. For example, I could set up a "scout" type of observer to locate enemies. When I would get an interrupt, I could use it to do nothing more than hide, and during subsequent turns move my other mercs in that direction.

7 hours ago, D13 said:

The tactical difference I see is that overwatch tells the merc to shoot on sight, whereas in JA2 I could choose what action to take. For example, I could set up a "scout" type of observer to locate enemies. When I would get an interrupt, I could use it to do nothing more than hide, and during subsequent turns move my other mercs in that direction.

And what exactly stops you from doing this is JA3 ? You are not seriously suggesting you can’t do it because there is no option to rotate your merc around? 

7 hours ago, Jaywalker said:

Cause it's been that way in all of the previous ones, not to mention 99% of all tactical games ever?

The only reason to turn your characters around manually in JA2 was to avoid the cost of doing so on the next turn. All entities always had 360 vision, having a frontal FoV was a modded "feature".

Further to the point of @Jaywalker- it’s like you guys never played JA2… 

32 minutes ago, Tzg said:

And what exactly stops you from doing this is JA3 ?

Overwatch causes the merc to automatically open fire once an enemy moves into the vision cone. Can you configure overwatch to not do that, and instead, say, move or go prone?