Battlefield Lighting etc. and Visibility

Warmonger

What I've observed so far is that the falcon flares work well and can give you away. But what I don't understand is that Legion fighters sometimes light hand torches to illuminate themselves. In addition, I have hardly noticed any restrictions of visibility because it was night. Sandstorms seem to have visibility influences I noticed so far. But everything is still not right with the circumstances-based visibility.

From a gameplay point of view the torches serve to discourage mercs from getting closer for a melee kill. They will deplete the Hidden bar a lot faster as detection is within a full 360 circle around the character.

Also illuminating themselves makes it easier for their friends to see them die if you decide to snipe them. Then you will need to also kill all surprised enemies on the first turn or they will initiate combat.

1 hour ago, Melliores said:

From a gameplay point of view the torches serve to discourage mercs from getting closer for a melee kill. They will deplete the Hidden bar a lot faster as detection is within a full 360 circle around the character.

Also illuminating themselves makes it easier for their friends to see them die if you decide to snipe them. Then you will need to also kill all surprised enemies on the first turn or they will initiate combat.

I was in the Army. We where tough to fire flare over or behind the enemy and never to smoke a cigarette not to mark ourselfs 😉 

It does makes sense not to give out your position to the enemy but the Légion is not your traditional army. 🙂

My understanding is that they did it for gameplay reasons. The same situation is with those spotlights that move and can be targeted with Free aim, but you never hit them.

Have you fought the actual Grand Chien army in game and do they use the same tactics as the Légion, @Warmonger?

1 hour ago, Melliores said:

It does makes sense not to give out your position to the enemy but the Légion is not your traditional army. 🙂

My understanding is that they did it for gameplay reasons. The same situation is with those spotlights that move and can be targeted with Free aim, but you never hit them.

Have you fought the actual Grand Chien army in game and do they use the same tactics as the Légion, @Warmonger?

The spotlights I fully agree and was interesting to avoid them in A2 taken the mine there sneaking in with Shadow. While in JA2 it was much better solved to light the enemies up form you side. Actually I fond signal pistol for in JA3 while have not used it yet but looking forward 2 😉 

16 hours ago, Warmonger said:

I was in the Army. We where tough to fire flare over or behind the enemy and never to smoke a cigarette not to mark ourselfs 😉 

you were not long in the army or a mandatory serviceman then, because we had techniques and items to smoke and conceal it from enemy