Aiming circle - CTH relation

shadoww

hello when you aim 3x to an enemy's head with a gun which alows you to aim 3 times you can see the aim circle is decrasing to almost same size of enemy head. so this circle shows or give a thought about your CTH. at least it was like that in ja2 1.13 right? the point is when i get x5 scope this circle doesnt decreasing into size of enemy's head with 3x aim. it does with 5x aim. this shouldnt happen.

the size of circle should be related with CTH so you should get different size of circles when you aim at enemy. which means you can only get same size of circle with enemy's head if you are decent marksman or aiming with a decent weapon.

i actually opened this thread because i have 5x scope and i was aiming every single enemy with 5x, every time like an idiot. i mean i could get hits with 3x too but the game was showing a huge circle when you aim 3 times with 5x scope. so i was thinking i would miss if shoot with 3x aim.

also you can not shoot 2 times with same character in same turn before end game because AP is incredibly low compering with ja2. you can only shoot once if you aim. i know there is a scope allowing you to aimed 3x but i use environment and covers and gun & run (not run & gun 😄 ) quite often.

17 minutes ago, shadoww said:

hello when you aim 3x to an enemy's head with a gun which alows you to aim 3 times you can see the aim circle is decrasing to almost same size of enemy head. so this circle shows or give a thought about your CTH. at least it was like that in ja2 1.13 right?

It works like that using the NCTH setting of 1.13. The only other game that uses a model like this is Phoenix Point. 

The tightening of the circle is just a UI element telling you how much you are aiming. The size is not relevant. JA2 works the same way.

The radius of the circle is only for demonstration purposes (how many Aim levels you have applied to that shot). It does not display your chance to hit.

Aim levels

• Melee attacks can only apply 1 level.
  • Firearms by default have 3 levels
  • Sniper scopes (x5 or x10) only add 1 extra level. So you can have a max of 4 levels with any of the Sniper scopes.
  • The Sharpshooter perk (Dexterity) adds another 2 aim levels with firearms. Combine this with a sniper scope and you will have 6 aim levels.

Aiming is not universally good. Each level gives you a specific bonus to accuracy = type of weapon + Aim attribute of the weapon + Dexterity bonus. We are still to see the exact formula from the game files.

This means that a weapon with low Aim bonus (AK-47 has only 2) is not really worth it. Due to the vertical grip you might want to aim at least 1 level, but going all 3 is not very productive.

You can very much fire any weapon with a Single shot/long burst cost of 4 AP twice per turn. FAMAS is a good example but also any machine gun that can equip a bipod, vertical grip and some scope (for accuracy). You can even lower the cost of machinegun attacks to 2 AP per long burst with a Perk and a mod (on some of them). So a fully aimed shot will cost you 5 AP per long burst.

It is up to you to decide how to play in the end - having more aimed shots per turn is very much viable but you need to configure your weapons for it and use the right ones. Aiming just for the sake of it is not very efficient, you need to be sure you get a good accuracy bonus while doing so.

If you are not sure how the numbers work, install the Chance to hit mod for a few battles to see some of the accuracy bonuses and maluses. I do not use it personally but it can help you learn the game.