Subduing and capturing opponents

Image Miroir

It seems JA3 introduces negotiation and the possibility not to fight every single living creature. That's great, even if the pleasure of the firefight and enemies elimination is the core of the game.

Nonetheless, it would be interesting to be able to capture opponents, and therefore to have subduing attacks. This could enforce new types of missions like capturing an enemy for interrogation ("how many soldiers there?", "what's their equipment?", etc.). Besides, it could offer infiltration options.

This could also provide more interest for martial artist characters, and even offer boxing/wrestling contests (eventually to get some additional cash).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Image Miroir said:

This could enforce new types of missions like capturing an enemy for interrogation ("how many soldiers there?", "what's their equipment?", etc.). Besides, it could offer infiltration options.

Bro those enemies dont react to explosions, and you were going to interrogate them? Kidding me? ^__^

explosionja3.gif

Yes, I heard about it a couple of years ago but I was never able to put a hand on it.

Then there was the other official games release, but none was good from my point of view.

Now, there's this new version JA3, and it seems to be close to what I've been expecting for the last 20 years. I also played X-Com. It's good but...

Like many people around here I played many games more or less influenced by Jagged Alliance 2, but none had the full flavor. It's why I'm presenting ideas very humbly in this forum. It's difficult to "remake" a Jagged Alliance. But I trust the editor, designers and developers of the game to release something great.

I'm sure one way or another they integrated some ideas of JA2 1.13. 

2 hours ago, Lunokhod said:

Bro those enemies dont react to explosions, and you were going to interrogate them? Kidding me? ^__^

Positive Lunokhod. Be POSITIVE!

I don't know how to program a game so I won't lecture the developers. And, yes, even if the characters are not reacting to an explosion, it's still possible to subdue them.

I wish the game to be successful. If not in JA3, maybe subduing will be present in JA4. And if not, maybe then in JA5.

And for you to know, the first time I heard a shell blowing a hill I wasn't reacting much more. For sure it wasn't that close to me. JA is just a game, I believe the team needs precise but also positive feedbacks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Image Miroir said:

But I trust the editor, designers and developers of the game to release something great.

Oh, Jesus, Please... Are u one of Haemimont guys? If everyone there worked as well as a mapper mb they could do "something great". But can somebody explain to me, what a f*ck is all of this, like this picture. What a f*ck is this sh*t? Why? This is just horrible. Why u doing this to yourself?

bbc.png

I love this voodoo/hoodoo guy!

I don't know who is Haemimont. If you can do a better job, do it. Seriously!

I only want the game to be good, and to be released. Will it be perfect? I hope so, but I'm too old to believe in Santa Claus. If I can personnalise my character and the game is descent enough I'll buy it, and then expect for the next iteration to be better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Image Miroir said:

I love this voodoo/hoodoo guy!

I don't know who is Haemimont. If you can do a better job, do it. Seriously!

I only want the game to be good, and to be released. Will it be perfect? I hope so, but I'm too old to believe in Santa Claus. If I can personnalise my character and the game is descent enough I'll buy it, and then expect for the next iteration to be better.

Haemimont is the development studio that is making this game.

(don't worry about the guy you replied to, he has not shown any evidence of being capable of positive discourse since arriving here)

Ok, thanks for the info Elder III.

The only thing I could ask Haemimont for (besides a good JA game) is a making-off. People like me don't know much about how a video game is made; the reason behind a specific choice, why this was possible and this not, etc.

For sure you have some info in interviews, but it'll be cool to have some kind of making-off and feed backs from all the people of the team.

The Dev Livestream that they did recently (on 4-20-2023) had a little bit of that as far as why they had to make certain design choices. I suspect there will be more of that whenever they do the next one (they mentioned discussing Combat in detail, including the decisions regarding the "Chance To Hit" not being shown).

Edited by Elder III
grammar

I like the idea of surrendering enemy, also retreating enemy when out gunned, I think the latter is in the game, also your team could get captured and you have to rescue them?

With the captured enemy you could interrogate them for info or use them as your own militia.

Edited by Acid
  • Like 1

If your team or the enemy CAN get captured, make it an option though, that you can choose whether to accept the surrender, not something that's automatic and out of your control, same with your Merc's, if they can get captured, you can accept the surrender or carry on fighting. 

Edited by Acid

To interrogate enemies for extra info and the possibility to hide bodies are also features I would like to see. I hope that you can solve all fights completely silently.

Surrendered enemies that you can use for your own militia is a nice idea. I already mentioned that for mercs. There could be merc boss fights where you have to decide if you kill the enemy merc or if you use him for your own team.

• Like 2

I like the idea of rescuing your own mercs, provided the enemy would want to capture them in the first place and not just kill them for being 'godless mercenaries'.

You could rescue them and as a parting gesture, create as much damage to the building, that they were kept in, as possible.

It would actually remind me of a MicroProse game on the Commodore Amiga, called Special Forces. If your commando(s) got captured, you could rescue them in an optional side mission. They would always be in a truck park and it was fun to utterly load up on C4 and set the charges next to all the vehicles and munitions, get your guys out of there and then blow the whole lot up.

You just can't leave without saying Goodbye.

There are so many possibilities for features. For example the devs could integrate a interrogation menu where different merc organizations are connected, so that you can exchange captive enemy mercs for resources or weapons. Or you could poach the best mercs that the villain commands.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 7:18 AM, Solaris_Wave said:

It would actually remind me of a MicroProse game on the Commodore Amiga, called Special Forces. If your commando(s) got captured, you could rescue them in an optional side mission.

Funny there is someone else knowing this game. I still have Fond and vivid memories of playing it as a kid on my Atari ST. 

On 5/4/2023 at 7:18 AM, Solaris_Wave said:

It would actually remind me of a MicroProse game on the Commodore Amiga, called Special Forces. If your commando(s) got captured, you could rescue them in an optional side mission. They would always be in a truck park and it was fun to utterly load up on C4 and set the charges next to all the vehicles and munitions, get your guys out of there and then blow the whole lot up.

It'll be interesting to see how far Haemimont Games went in its benchmark.

Before being creative, you have to be knowledgeable.

Rescue missions have often been the most appealing. You know the bad guys are truly the bad guys, and I think the emotional investment can be higher as you are tooling up to rescue someone, while making the enemy pay for their decision. Stealth rescues can be fun but like I said earlier in this thread, I prefer to not only rescue whoever is held hostage, but to utterly annihilate the enemy while I am at it.

Edited by Solaris_Wave

There can be an excellent variety of missions that I hope to be in the game. Not just sector liberation and killing high value targets but also stealing enemy intelligence via stealth insertion, hostage taking (and not just hostage rescue), convoy sabotage and supply capture, robbery acquiring funds and equipment, communications sabotage, destruction of drugs and transports, and anything to disrupt or destroy propaganda (statues, public address systems and radio stations).

Edited by Solaris_Wave
  • Like 1