Subduing and capturing opponents

Image Miroir

I also hope that the laptop will be integrated in some missions. I mean with the laptop you can communicate with the world outside the game world so there are so many possibilities to work with that.

It could be its own strategic layer to organize stuff with your laptop also in missions/quests. As I mentioned a black market to buy weapons or you could directly communicate with the main villain to negotiate about resources or hostages.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 6:18 PM, Image Miroir said:

It seems JA3 introduces negotiation and the possibility not to fight every single living creature. That's great, even if the pleasure of the firefight and enemies elimination is the core of the game.

Nonetheless, it would be interesting to be able to capture opponents, and therefore to have subduing attacks. This could enforce new types of missions like capturing an enemy for interrogation ("how many soldiers there?", "what's their equipment?", etc.). Besides, it could offer infiltration options.

This could also provide more interest for martial artist characters, and even offer boxing/wrestling contests (eventually to get some additional cash).

I do agree with this. What it does, is that it opens up for more invididual leadership style gameplay. Meaning if one takes a more negotiating style, the enemy may also be more open for deserting or perhaps bribery. In different degrees as well - meaning, if the battle goes bad for the enemy, they may offer to become prisoners at an earlier stage in the battle.

And if one takes a harder line, one's own mercs may also be more susceptible to the same things, because one puts them in unnecessary risk, so the motivation to give up becomes a bigger factor. Maybe even giving the entire team a hidden conscience of their own, meaning one does not have 100% control over them. If a lot of them becomes wounded, they may revolt and desert to the enemy either as prisoners or maybe even as hired mercs working for the enemy. This could be connected to the difficulty degree one has chosen.

This would bring an entirely new element to the game that i think would fit in with the genre. It is in line with reality as well.

In JA2, this was hardly a factor. The enemy very rarely ran away, and only with perhaps one or two mercs remaining. And they would only offer to surrender if one had one or two mercs left oneself. There could be a wider degree of this in JA3.

Edited by Taurean

5 hours ago, Taurean said:

And they would only offer to surrender if one had one or two mercs left oneself. There could be a wider degree of this in JA3.

Well, that's down to "why?" they'd offer you a surrender at all.

I'm sure there will be some opportunity for negotiation as part of a scripted event, but I can't really see fanatics negotiating at all, there doesn't seem to be any way for them to retreat either, given the mechanics (it's an RPG, the fights so far seem to take place at fixed points on the map, not a random place they happened to spawn).

7 hours ago, Jaywalker said:

Well, that's down to "why?" they'd offer you a surrender at all.

I'm sure there will be some opportunity for negotiation as part of a scripted event, but I can't really see fanatics negotiating at all, there doesn't seem to be any way for them to retreat either, given the mechanics (it's an RPG, the fights so far seem to take place at fixed points on the map, not a random place they happened to spawn).

Right.. i have not read up on the game's details yet and how it works, because i like to wait until the game is finished. I thought it would work more on random and function like JA2. For it to follow a more linear style, is disappointing to hear. I hope at least that they will implement a mode, perhaps when finishing the game, that functions more like the JA2 style, random combat and simply taking over a map section by section.

19 hours ago, Taurean said:

Right.. i have not read up on the game's details yet and how it works, because i like to wait until the game is finished. I thought it would work more on random and function like JA2.

Surrendering in JA2 is there for a very specific event to be able to later to occur, which is why it only happens if you have no more than 2 people left on your team.

1.13 let's you also negotiate an enemy surrender as part of it's own elaborate prisoner mechanic, but that's a mod and realistically it's more hassle than it's worth (except for when it skips you another tedious hunt for the last 2 guys).

I'm almost certain JA3 will have at least one scripted diplomacy event, because we already saw that there is ways to talk yourself out or into a fight even very early on.

While we will be taking over the country town by town it will, by technical necessity of the game being an RPG first, most likely follow the format it does in Wasteland 3, with the occasional "repopulation" event when our militia fails to defend a sector or we fight a patrol on the road.