DevDiary 12 - Combat, Part 2

THQN Roger

20 hours ago, ShadowMagic said:

Oh really?

Is this an invite for me to collect a great amount of posts around the web, where (potential) customers express their concerns about characters and the way they are portrayed? Want me to count the times terms like 'cartoonish, 'goofy', 'clownesque' or  'not JA related' have been used?

So basically you feel the same way that this guy did?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/356/jagged-alliance-2/user-review/2636484/

😉

They'll get it right one of these games...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Haemimont_Boian: Thank you for your answers. It is great to hear that you integrated so many details for the objects, explosions and all the beautiful sectors. I can see your passion for the project. I can't wait to test the equipment of the mercs to create my own 'entrances' in some buildings and to try new tactics in the fire fights.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Raeven said:

So basically you feel the same way that this guy did?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/356/jagged-alliance-2/user-review/2636484/

😉

They'll get it right one of these games...

That guy just had no clue 😄 In fact this is the only time I actually read about someone complaining JA2 being inferior to JA1. :s 

The differences between JA1 and JA2 are not on par with JA2 v.s. JA3 by the way. Not even when corrected for the time difference between both games so my concerns (and those of others) are valid.

And differences are not per se wrong but it's about making the right choices and being very careful when you shout out "we are creating a true successor of <insert franchise>" while making fundamental changes that have great impact on gameplay. Including (if not at first) the general look&feel (art-work, interface, action mechanics, physics).

It all starts with making a good assessment at first. Analyzing the capabilities of your resources (manpower) and the engine that was chosen on which to build the game upon. I feel either their engine is limited (in terms of animations / explosions) or their knowledge is.

The latter can be complemented by modders however. Therefor people like me still have high hopes modders can bring more JA soul to the game and remove some non-JA elements from the game. 

• Like 1

I think the game looks good enough, wait till you've played it fully to completely judge it, and with mods they maybe able to fix things to how you like it, of course depending on the engine capabilities. 

The post talking about damage done to the ground, leaving craters, maybe a decal that looks like a crater could be used, especially with bigger explosions like dynamite, c4 or mortars. a bit of soot or burnt mark doesn't seem enough.

Edited by Acid
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Acid said:

I think the game looks good enough, wait till you've played it fully to completely judge it, and with mods they maybe able to fix things to how you like it, of course depending on the engine capabilities. 

The post talking about damage done to the ground, leaving craters, maybe a decal that looks like a crater could be used, especially with bigger explosions like dynamite, c4 or mortars. a bit of soot or burnt mark doesn't seem enough.

That would make sense. A frag grenade will hardly leave a crater. C4 or a 60mm mortar would be more likely to.