Current Generation Consoles Release - PS5/Xbox Series S|X

Rui Carrer

Greetings!

I am completely new to the series, but a big fan of turned based combat experiences.

Do you guys think Jagged Alliance 3 will be ported to consoles after the PC release?

I really would like to hear your sayings.

I do apologize in advance for eventual mistakes in my writing, english is not my primary language.

I see. Well, I'm very far from being acquainted with computer programs and how they are supposed to behave on different platforms, but since we saw Wasteland 3 getting linux, mac, playstation, windows and xbox versions lmost at the same time, I thought perhaps the same would apply to Jagged Alliance 3 , considering that this game isn't even crowdfunded like Wasteland 3 was, and is at development in a competent studio environment backed up by a solid publisher like THQ Nordic.

Anyways, I appreciate your response. Might get it on pc later, but i must upgrade my machine first 😕

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 2:56 AM, Rui Carrer said:

Greetings!

I am completely new to the series, but a big fan of turned based combat experiences.

Do you guys think Jagged Alliance 3 will be ported to consoles after the PC release?

I really would like to hear your sayings.

I do apologize in advance for eventual mistakes in my writing, english is not my primary language.

It is very likely. Previous JA game by the same publisher THQ Nordic was on consoles. The developers previous game Tropico has also been released on previous and current gen.

The dev's website has a recent position for a Console/Engine Programmer.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 8:36 AM, SWi74 said:

It is very likely. Previous JA game by the same publisher THQ Nordic was on consoles. The developers previous game Tropico has also been released on previous and current gen.

The dev's website has a recent position for a Console/Engine Programmer.

To tell you the truth I strongly believe it will eventually come to consoles too.

Many "minor" games have been released on several different platforms like wasteland 3, wich was created by the mind behind the original Fallout: Brian Fargo. Wasteland 3 was crowdfunded, and it did not stop the game from being accessible on Xbox, Playstation, Windows, Linux and MacOS.

I give you another example: "Desperados 3" - a real time tactic's game that resembles "Commandos", in fact I would say it's a truly successor to that beloved franchise, and was made by a team of "6" (six) core developers. It was launched on PC, Xbox and Playstation. It also received enhanced versions made to take advantage of the PS4Pro, Xbox One X and Series S|X.

So yes, let's hope Jagged Alliance 3 becomes a huge success, so there would be no excuses to keep it from the current gen consoles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anon474 said:

wasn't wasteland 3 not crowdfunded, and it was only 1 and 2 that were crowdfunded?

wasteland 3 had a big budget because the past 2 games sold well (or they had some good financial arrangement).

You may not want to play this game on console. Lol. Playing a strategy designed around mouse and keyboard and lots and lots of clicking, is like trying to eat soup using chopsticks. I'm sure there's a PC you can find that will play the game.

As far as I'm concerned 2 and 3 were both crowdfunded, I sincerely don't have any info regarding the first one.

Here are the links, if you are interested to check:

Wasteland 2: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Wasteland 3: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3

And I agree that is better to experience the game on pc with mouse and keyboard, but considering my pc is a triassic machine, if the game could come to consoles, It would save me a lot of money.

Its a must to come for consoles, myself am not really a PC player (left it long time ago to play regularly on PC, back in early 2000s, recently played JA1 on PC though).

JA will also grow its audience further with releasing it for consoles.

Jagged Alliance Rage & XCOM2 gameplay suited well to console gaming so am assuming JA3 will suit perfectly too,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rui Carrer said:

As far as I'm concerned 2 and 3 were both crowdfunded, I sincerely don't have any info regarding the first one.

Here are the links, if you are interested to check:

Wasteland 2: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Wasteland 3: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3

And I agree that is better to experience the game on pc with mouse and keyboard, but considering my pc is a triassic machine, if the game could come to consoles, It would save me a lot of money.

I played Wasteland 2 on console, as well. XCOM: Enemy Within, XCOM 2, Othercide, Phoenix Point, Divinity: Original Sin II, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope, Into the Breach, Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, Gears Tactics and Jagged Alliance: Rage! all play fine on console.

Small developers (much smaller than Haemimont) released Castle Crashers, Fez, Braid, Super Meat Boy, The Witness, Stardew Valley, Slay the Spire, Among Us, Darkest Dungeon and many more on consoles with tiny budgets and millions of copies sold.

Although I hear Commandos 2 on consoles kept all the PC bugs after so many years, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and Desperados III are excellent on consoles. So are Civilization VI, Crusader Kings 3, Bad North, Frostpunk and Northgard.

A mouse gives you a quicker more precise reaction, which only matters in competitive multiplayer shooters. Even then, developers implement cross-platform play with a gamepads only matchmaking option. For people whose religion forbids anything, but mice, developers enable mouse and keyboard use on consoles. Because it's up to them and not the platform manufacturer.

Mouse and keyboard work on consoles, but not every game supports them.

No game is mouse-dependent anymore than flight games are Joystick dependent.

Edited by SWi74
  • Like 1

@SWi74Wow sees like you played almost all already on console, i also played XCOM Enemy Within or was it Enemy Unknown ? The first XCOM that brough popularity that came 10 years ago on PS3. It was a ok game, XCOM2 (good game but nothing wow) on PS4 were surely more improved with smoother mechanics.

I was asking a friend sometime ago if he knows any other game on PlayStation similar to Jagged Alliance Rage & XCOM2 ? He suggested me Desperados 3, i watched some trailers and all but since its just real time i didnt even touched the game and the other game he suggested was Mutant Year Zero, which i also checked out but didnt liked since its even more cartoony then XCOM2.

1 hour ago, LoboNocturno said:

XCOM Enemy Within or was it Enemy Unknown

Two different games when it comes to consoles. Enemy Unknown was on PS3 and if you wanted that extra content of Enemy Within, you had to buy the whole thing on PS4. Diablo 3 pulled off the same trick, unfortunately.

even more cartoony

Yes, nothing matches the tone and enjoyment of JA2, as you noticed, I looked. Xcom is the revival of the genre and JA3 (if it carries enough of JA2) could become best in genre again. I doubt this would happen if it remains a PC exclusive for long, though.

Edited by SWi74
  • Like 1

A lie? 😄 What do you think this forum is, Conor? Can I call you Conor?  Am I your father? Do you trust me?

Why did you censor your curse word? Are you worried that a bot would automatically ban you? Do you think a person will ban you despite of the asterisks?

An opinion is an opinion. You can't do anything about it.

4 hours ago, anon474 said:

why there's no console-vs-PC tournaments because mouse users smoke console users every time

Oh, no! Haemimond, don't you make any JA3 cross-platform tournaments! Conor said that would be unfair!

5 hours ago, anon474 said:

When I look up "divinity 2 console version"

Your research skills don't interest me. Anyone who has played anything on console and PC can make up their own mind about JA3 on consoles.

It seems your problem is not even with consoles, but rather the lack of a mouse. In this case, you tell 'em, Conor! No gamepad support on PC, no Steam Deck, no PlayStation and Xbox! Let go of that market! Bad developer! Bad!

@SWi74You mean something like XCOM2 and War of The Chosen (which was better then the vanilla imo.)

Hopefully it will be coming to PS5 as well and it should not delay too much, after several months. I will surely preorder directly 2 CD´s (1 to play and 1 to keep brand new as a lifetime souvenir) of JA3 even its on sale for 60 Euros, i will not hesitate to spend right away 120 Euros for JA3 (PS5).

@anon474 To say PC gamers are more skilled then Console its totally nonsense. Also reality is PC gamers becoming less and console more this time around from the youth. Its simply much more comfortable & enjoyable to play with a proper controller (at most games). It would surely depend also what kind of game it is ? Some games, especially strategy are more suitable on PC (Laptop) especially if its like Jagged Alliance 2, but from what we have seen on the trailers JA3 will be modernised (the modern XCOM2 gameplay suited very well to console) so i think it will suit very well (so was JA Rage) to console gaming. The mouse could maybe more accurate but especially in turn based games you dont need any clicking speed or reflexes to avoid something by clicking lightning fast, we are not playing a QTE (quick time event). The turn limitation on some missions in XCOM2 were the most annoying for sure. Jagged Alliance its a game where you take your time, think how to attack or ambush etc.... 1 sector can usually take me a good hour or sometimes 2 (especially in JA2 Wildfire, on expert where are plenty enemies).

1 hour ago, anon474 said:

scizophrenia

Oh, another diagnosis from Conor, the "bro" doctor. Is mental illness your best insult when you think you might get banned?

You got me. I'm crazy and you are right. Well done. Here's a reward 🏆

• Haha 1

You mean something like XCOM2 and War of The Chosen (which was better then the vanilla imo.)

Well, War of the Chosen is a different way of money grabbing. They released some content that dramatically changes how the game plays and said "Well this is essentially a new game" and priced it much higher than regular DLC and excluded it from any complete editions.

Xcom: Enemy Within is DLC with less content, which they did not release for PS3 at all. They bundled it with the core game for the new console generation only. So if played the Vanilla and wanted to add just Enemy Within you couldn't. You had to buy the game at full price again. Same story with Reaper of Souls. The Necromancer DLC was more of the War of The Chosen sort of trick.

I will surely preorder directly 2 CD´s

Preordering and backing previous attempts at JA did not work great the last couple of times. If they pull it off, fantastic! A Bulgarian studio, with a successful sequel to a legendary game? Sure! I'll buy a console copy and a PC copy to support them. But if it's no good... I will pick it up on PSN sale when I've got nothing better to play, like I did with JA Rage.

Certain games are definitely better on a console with a TV and a gamepad, but that is more down to the style of play, the type of game and how the player(s) will sit, as opposed to whether a console is better than a PC or not. From my personal experience, I would say arcade racers, sports games and platformers are better on a console (or a PC set for TV play and using a gamepad); RPGs, third-person perspective games and first-person are about equal, depending on the user's comfort and preference; while strategy games, full-on simulators (except maybe driving sims if you have a steering wheel), adventure games and puzzle games are better on the PC. The latter few I remarked about are simply easier to play sat at a desk, closer to a screen with a sharp resolution (and frame rate capability if needed), where you can see the little icons you need to click on with your mouse.

Gamepads are excellent for certain games and if I am playing certain games on my PC, I will plug in the gamepad. I was fine using a gamepad for FPS games on my XBox (and I learned different ways of turning 180° quickly, without making my sensitivity too high and personally unusable) but I never liked trying strategy games with the gamepad. You can rapidly and accurately reach a small icon or menu with a mouse but with a gamepad, trying to do things with the thumb stick just feels like harder work, like trying to steer a trolley while one wheel insists on being an errant little bastard. Tropico 3 or 4 (I can't remember) was so much extra work to control the cursor and operate the menus (hold down one of the triggers, now use the D-pad, release the trigger, now press the right shoulder button and so on), when you can just move your wrist and click. I gave up playing the console version because it just felt like the UI was getting in the way of my fun.

Edited by Solaris_Wave

21 hours ago, anon474 said:

Didn't say they were more skilled, said the inherent characteristics of gamepads and the input scheme on console fundamentally makes FPS harder and makes strategies harder too.

The idea that tvs or consoles are more inherently comfortable than a PC is WAY overstated, firstly not everybody lives in a place where they got a nice big living room, secondly console exclusives kind of tapered off in last 4 years and there's not been as much of a need to buy consoles, which means people ask "well if i have a PC, and hardware already is good enough to play almost anything with very little hardware, then why buy a console"?

"you dont need any clicking speed or reflexes to avoid something by clicking lightning fast" you don't need it to be in as fast as possible but it'd be nice if it wasn't super awkward, and it very very often is. Especially divinity 2, how do you navigate to the right item in the backpack slot? You can't. So this is ridiculous.

Could be true but for me controller 🎮 over joystick 🕹️ or mouse 🐁 all day everyday.

Thats a lie, every average person today has a medium to big sized smart or OLEG TV at their homes, come on its not Grand Chien where we living in. 😄

No need to buy console ? PS5 broke records and thats in Corona times, still recent time you were not able to get a PS5 console from the stores, and thats nearly after 3 years of the release date. I got it thank God right away shortly after the release date so i felt so lucky, still now i have to admit PS5 is by far the best console i ever owned. Everything works smoothly.

Yes there are also few stingy people who has a laptop and doesnt want to spend for a additional console or are total PC geeks. 😏

2 hours ago, anon474 said:

"Thats a lie, every average person today has a medium to big sized smart or OLEG TV at their homes, come on its not Grand Chien where we living in. 😄" I mean, listen, if you want to insult me, don't get mad or cry later when I make you feel bad.

You say you don't live in Grand Chien but from your pictures it looks like you can't even afford a table to put your laptop on; you have your mousepad sitting on your bed. What are you talking about.

"Could be true but for me controller 🎮 over joystick 🕹️ or mouse 🐁 all day everyday." Then you have come to the wrong forum. Go load up your call of duty on console, JA is kind of a pc-focused serious strategy based on PC controls.

"No need to buy console ? PS5 broke records and thats in Corona times" Still no reason to buy a console. For what. PS5 broke records because non-gamers were buying it because everybody had too much free time. Also ex-gamers were buying PS5s to try out PS5 games. COVID wasn't a normal time. How does that prove the need to buy a console if there's no more big console exclusives like metal gear solid anymore or Halo (and metal gear solid did a simultaneous release on PC for MGS V anyways).

"still recent time you were not able to get a PS5 console from the stores" Artificial scarcity, might be a marketing ploy. Might be RAM shortages caused by cryptocurrency mining.

"I got it thank God right away shortly after the release date so i felt so lucky, still now i have to admit PS5 is by far the best console i ever owned. Everything works smoothly." "everything works so smoothly" is this a PlayStation review? Are you a playstation rep? Tf is this.

" Yes there are also few stingy people who has a laptop and doesnt want to spend for a additional console or are total PC geeks. 😏" Well hey, if you want to hate on PC players and people who will be 90% (at this point 100%) of the demographic be my guest, but so far it sounds like you mad because you had to buy a laptop to play this game when in the past I guess you didn't play games or something? Lol. You the weird one here king, you got a tiny a-- room where you don't even got a table, and you only bought a computer just to play this game, and you play console but also like extremely specific strategy games THE F is WRONG with you? 🤣 Do you even know how to spell "OLED TV"? You said "OLEG TV". Pretty sure Oleg doesn't make any TVs.

And hating on PC gamers for being "stingy" or being "geeks" - chefs kiss. You in the wrong hood console kid.

I would not even waste my time replying all this nonsense comments who acts like a total stuffed shirt. 🥸

3 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

I would not even waste my time replying all this nonsense comments who acts like a total stuffed shirt. 🥸

You were the one talking sh now you're mad. OK buddy.

Sorry man, most people don't play console in this corner of the industry and I'm pretty sure controllers aren't superior to mouses in a lot of genres.

49 minutes ago, anon474 said:

You were the one talking sh now you're mad. OK buddy.

Sorry man, most people don't play console in this corner of the industry and I'm pretty sure controllers aren't superior to mouses in a lot of genres.

Not $hit but facts i were talking about, could be true, could be not, i dont even know where you are from but i can imagine.

Well dont be that pretty sure i would say but everyone has their own opinion so there is no sense continuing this convo.

Your terribly mistaken, am also not a hater and also not mad or so, just want to cut it short and thats it.

Long live Jagged Alliance !!!

13 hours ago, qb1120 said:

It would be cool if they ported to PS4/PS5 and allowed the use of the touchpad as a mouse input

I think the touch-pad is fairly useless on gamepads. Most games use it as a normal button or a directional swipe at most. It's too small of an area. And even if it wasn't, would you play with a cursor without the precision and speed of an actual mouse? They have reached a point where no cursor interfaces are everywhere and are efficient.

There's fun things they can do with the heptics and adaptive triggers on DS and even bring them to PC, though.

For those needing a mouse to play the game, they can just allow mouse + keyboard controls.

I would welcome a console port, but I think that these types of games work better on a PC. Porting it to console will likely lead to streamlining (aka simplifying the game mechanics) to ensure it flows well on a gamepad. This simplification will likely cause the title to turn into a boring mobile phone game (like JA Rage)