Sector Defense Deploy

Cailic

Ok, so the bad guys are coming after my sector.  I get a notification and told to set up my mercs to defend the town.  I do so.  Bad guys get there.  I have to re-deploy my mercs???  Oh, and I can't deploy my snipers on rooftops for some reason.  And everyone is limited to where I can deploy them.  I'm seriously thinking of giving up on this game for this, and only this reason.  It makes no sense!  You know the enemy is coming, you should be able to set your defenses as you want them, before they get there.  At the VERY least, you shouldn't be restricted as to where you set your mercs in a town you control.  That last part is what really irks me. 

Minor concerns that may be remedied with mods;

IMP portraits.  Not sure why nobody wants to make it simple to have custom portraits any more. 

Loot drops.  One out every seven or more dead guys actually have ANY loot.  What are they shooting me with???

Oh, and aside from all that, I'm really glad you decided to continue the jagged alliance series.  You could make a ton of DLCs for this.  Thanks.

Edited by Cailic
  • Like 3

Haha, game devs left you a mini puzzle to figure out. I'm about to do my first 'defend with 4 militia' puzzle. I will figure it out for you all.

I remember in JA2, this was so OP, I was using the militia as bait, and putting my mercs on rooftops to 'milk the cow' for marksmanship skills. I think i upskilled ira in this way.

Then in BIA, you had to deploy your mercs about 15mins before the enemy gets there, then go into real time and move/run your your mercs into rooftop position. Then, the enemy arrives in real time, and your mercs are set in position.

Game devs are JA players themselves, a lot of game play problems that seem to be in the game, I just see them as JA mini puzzles. 

Regarding rooftop defenses - there's that bug where mercs (and enemies) shoot into their own cover, which in the case of a rooftop defense can cause the roof to collapse... and make your merc disappear 😄

6 hours ago, Cailic said:

...I can't deploy my snipers on rooftops for some reason....

...At the VERY least, you shouldn't be restricted as to where you set your mercs in a town you control.  That last part is what really irks me....

Press G, deploy on ground level.

Press T, deploy on roof top level.

Yes, JA2 rooftop sniper were way too OP. Game devs are genius, gave us mini puzzles to spice things up.

The enemy shoots thru tin roofs. You all were asking for environment destructability, you got it! When your rooftop merc shoots back down thru tin roof, ...well you have to experience that for yourself. LOL.  

7 hours ago, Cailic said:

Ok, so the bad guys are coming after my sector.  I get a notification and told to set up my mercs to defend the town.  I do so.  Bad guys get there.  I have to re-deploy my mercs???  Oh, and I can't deploy my snipers on rooftops for some reason.  And everyone is limited to where I can deploy them.  I'm seriously thinking of giving up on this game for this, and only this reason.  It makes no sense!  You know the enemy is coming, you should be able to set your defenses as you want them, before they get there.  At the VERY least, you shouldn't be restricted as to where you set your mercs in a town you control.  That last part is what really irks me.

That sounds stupid. I wonder why Haemimont restricted you in setting up and defending that sector in any way you choose? If the sector is your sector, you should have freedom to set up your forces and weapons wherever you want. You are defending it and not attacking it, after all.

SectorDefensewithMG.thumb.jpg.2696e172765603c10cbb3b398d577169.jpg

Why? OK, i figured out H2. Game devs wanted to suggest to you to deploy one merc next to the MG. 

Hands down, one of the best militia sector defense i have ever enjoyed playing in JA type games. I saved the start, so now, i can go back and replay this H2 sector defense over and over again.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Bit late to the party here, but this is why I stopped playing JA3 after a while and I'm just now coming back to it. After all the patches, is there any way now to deploy your mercs where you want to, and not be restricted to the deployment zones? I've tried putting my mercs in place and then hoping for a real-time encounter, but the enemy never arrives, so clearly the time doesn't advance when in tactical view.

@OzJester

You can not predeploy in advance. Deployment is allowed only when two opposing forces are within the same sector and you are limited to the blue zones in the deployment phase. That said, once you place your squad, you can manually place every single merc within that same blue area, allowing for better positions.

Even after you confirm your placement and start the tactical combat, you can now use active pause (Spacebar by default) to give commands to your mercs to better position them around the sector. They will execute this order in real time alongside the enemies but it does enable you to make a great ambush most of the time.

• Thanks 1