[REQUEST] Inventory Management (needs some SERIOUS work)!

GODSPEED

So I'm at the stage where I've captured a mine, done a quest or two... I've had my initial "Recruit" 5 Mercs (+ IMP) for 2-3 full 14-day contracts and I want to switch them around for new mercs. Should be pretty darn easy if you ask me.

🤬
The inventory management is so contrived and un-intuitive. This isn't even funny!

When I'm on my inventory page, the only thing I see, is my mercs personal inventory on the right, their equipped items on the left and the squad "stash" in the middle....
...but the squad stash is only for ammunition! You can't put weapons, armor, etc..

I've been trying to figure out how the heck to put equipment somewhere while I transition mercs; I don't have room in the mercs individual slots because they are all full. I managed to see the sector inventory at one point, but for some reason, I don't seem to be able to see it again. I feel like the biggest dimwit who can't figure out something as simple as inventory management.

Where and how do we get a sector inventory?

The inventory is kind of an eyesore. I'm playing at 2560x1440, but feel like I'm playing a game from 1993 on DOS at 320x240. Why are the inventory squares so big? I can't even see the basic inventory for 6 mercs without having to scroll!!

Sorry if those comments sound a little harsh.. but I'm scratching my head as to how such a modern and beautiful game still has what feels like a placeholder inventory system that is in ALPHA stage.

As much as I have some criticism on some aspects of the game; I'm slowly getting my mind to reset after 15+ years of religiously praying at the 1.13 altar here. Actually enjoying many things you implemented and changed, but also feeling like it's a huge step back in some aspects (like this one).

Edited by GODSPEED
  • Like 1

Inventory is badly done and has many issues.

• During turn-based combat you can often exchange items between personal inventories of mercs who are far away from each other (even  on different floors). (Then what is the purpose of squad inventory? Or of separate inventories?)
  • After battle in real-time mode you cannot always exchange items between all mercs in the sector due (error: "too far away"). Then if you put the item into squad inventory and from there to the other merc, it works. Sure I get the logic, but it's 2023.
  • Sometimes merc inventories are greyed out to indicate inaccessibility, but when you put an item on it, it is transferred anyway.
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I won't be able to play the game until August as I am away from my gaming PC. Right now, I am settling for just reading everybody else's comments on the game since release. Even before release I could tell that the shared inventory system was a bad idea. After reading the above comments, not only is it a bad idea but actually seems inconsistent. Your mercs can share with one another in ways that doesn't make sense. Then the next minute, each merc is too far away to let you carry out the process.

23 minutes ago, D13 said:

Inventory is badly done and has many issues.

• During turn-based combat you can often exchange items between personal inventories of mercs who are far away from each other (even  on different floors). (Then what is the purpose of squad inventory? Or of separate inventories?)
  • After battle in real-time mode you cannot always exchange items between all mercs in the sector due (error: "too far away"). Then if you put the item into squad inventory and from there to the other merc, it works. Sure I get the logic, but it's 2023.
  • Sometimes merc inventories are greyed out to indicate inaccessibility, but when you put an item on it, it is transferred anyway.
2 minutes ago, Solaris_Wave said:

Even before release I could tell that the shared inventory system was a bad idea. After reading the above comments, not only is it a bad idea but actually seems inconsistent.

You'd expect the shared inventory to be the most simple and seamless thing.. simplicity at its core!

Huhhhh.. JA2's inventory system is way simpler to use.

52 minutes ago, GODSPEED said:

You'd expect the shared inventory to be the most simple and seamless thing.. simplicity at its core!

Huhhhh.. JA2's inventory system is way simpler to use.

Hey there, 

There is a sector inventory. It's a lil confusing though. You have to go to satellite view first, then click the sector, click the "items" filter, and there should be an option to see the inventory there, or just press I. Then you get a sector inventory screen that works like JA2 did. I've also tested it and found that it works for scooping up items that you haven't put into the sector inventory yourself but are just sitting in their original location in the sector.

Edited by Raeven

14 hours ago, Raeven said:

Hey there, 

There is a sector inventory. It's a lil confusing though. You have to go to satellite view first, then click the sector, click the "items" filter, and there should be an option to see the inventory there, or just press I. Then you get a sector inventory screen that works like JA2 did. I've also tested it and found that it works for scooping up items that you haven't put into the sector inventory yourself but are just sitting in their original location in the sector.

Thanks @Raeven!! 💯

I actually went back in with THAT in mind, and now get it. When in Tactical view, you can't access sector inventory, only squad stash. When in satellite view, you can access sector inventory. I'm guessing it's an oversight.

As when not in combat, I don't see why I should leave the tactical view to then get sector inventory.

Thanks for the help... at least now I can hire new mercs!!!