Is This Gun Big Enough?

Solaris_Wave

Big enough? Not when hunting "wabbits". 😁

Damn that thing could easily break your collarbone or dislocate your shoulder. You need a really good recoil absorption technique to not hurt yourself when shooting that monster!

On the + side it only takes 1 shoot, hardly matter if you hit or not! 😂

• Haha 2

The calibre of the 4 bore is apparently around one inch. That makes it bigger than a Bolter round used by the Adeptus Astartes in WH40K. In fact, it probably laughs in the face of such rounds and calls them a Big Girl's Blouse.

And yet, 2 bore exists. At what point does it stop being a hand-held gun and become something you need to 'deploy'?

"A most splendid shot, Sir!"

"Thank you, Belvedere."

"Not only did you kill that fine beast…but also that Death Star behind it."

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

And yet, 2 bore exists. At what point does it stop being a hand-held gun and become something you need to 'deploy'?

But aren't the 2 bore guns (to my limited knowledge) old blackpowder guns? I would guesstimate that a 4 bore with today's type of powder would be much more powerful.

It is a good question of what is to be considered handheld and deployable however.

I don't have much knowledge on those myself and only did a quick Google. It looks as if all those large bore guns are from the 19th Century. 2 bore seems more of an idea, rather than actuality. However, there is a Forgotten Weapons video of the Double Deuce. I haven't watched it just yet but the gun is huge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 7:03 PM, Solaris_Wave said:

With a gun that big, you don't need to wait in a corner for a perfect shot. You just aim in the general direction and take out your chosen target…and the rest of the neighbourhood with it!

On 4/22/2023 at 7:10 PM, LoboNocturno said:

Its simply not suitable for a fire fight, also most average people would not able to handle it.

Accurate, contrary to popular belief bullets are small, the target is far, and its very easy to miss.

Even a big gun still has a tiny bullet going at a target that might be 5% or 1% of your field of view?

I was actually being tongue in cheek about the gun because it is for all intents and purposes, a ridiculous firearm. It's big, heavy, single shot, slow to reload, has massive recoil and immense over-penetration. I thought my humour would have been obviously known to be exaggerated.

1 hour ago, Solaris_Wave said:

I was actually being tongue in cheek about the gun because it is for all intents and purposes, a ridiculous firearm. It's big, heavy, single shot, slow to reload, has massive recoil and immense over-penetration. I thought my humour would have been obviously known to be exaggerated.

Clearly, that must be why LoboNocturno also took it semi seriously...

• Haha 1

I am certain it is a joke, possibly done for fun by the US Coast Guard themselves. I saw the picture for the first time a very long time ago but I don't know its origin.

Just imagine it trying to be a practical weapons platform. The recoil from that M2 would be sending that boat back onto land.

• Haha 1