Is This Gun Big Enough?

Solaris_Wave

On 5/21/2023 at 1:15 PM, Solaris_Wave said:

We also have the 'Tacticool' gun with too many attachments:

AAD4A870-854B-4B92-9FE2-22F4CF7C82D5.webp.47c2289be3d5c5be1084cfc6d5498c24.webp

Made me remeber the G3 Chuck Norris carries in Missing in Action 3

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Braddock:_Missing_in_Action_III

and the M60 Dolph Lundgren uses in The Punisher

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Punisher,_The_(1989)

Know I mentioned it in some other thread but I just can't help but love those bulky 70's and 80's type of weapon modifications. They just look so fantastically cumbersome and while they might give a gun some extra edge it sure comes at a great cost of user friendliness. 😂

There were loads of action movies in the 80s (with some in the 90s) that had some huge gun that got used. Either that or some science fiction mockup. As well as your movie suggestions, there was Red Scorpion, Invasion USA, The Fifth Element, Predator 1 and 2, Judge DreddTango & Cash and RoboCop. Some of those movies have famous guns and there are obvious movies with signature guns that I left out.

Probably one of the most over the top hybrid guns was from the movie, Equalizer 2000. As soon as you see that, nothing compares! Not even the parody gun from Beverley Hills Cop III.

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Equalizer_2000

50FC67D0-CCD5-4471-B7FD-0F5D7199B789.thumb.jpeg.b7add063e5c4d09c10e08c3b100fb9f3.jpeg

As an aside, and a film that is '80s inspired but came out in 2015, I would recommend Turbo Kid. Completely tongue-in-cheek over the top comedy gore and a weapon that isn't really a gun as much as a gauntlet inspired by the Nintendo Power Glove. It completely annihilates the target. If you have never heard of the film, it is a Canadian/Australian post-apocalyptic movie with 80s inspired synth wave music, BMX bikes, 80s toys, crossed with Mad Max and starring Michael Ironside (amongst an equally fun cast).

Edited by Solaris_Wave
  • Haha 1

Since finding that picture again so I could upload it here, IMDB was linking to other low budget post-apocalyptic movies. Usually of Italian origin and sporting kick-ass movie posters, I don't know what most are like but I am curious to find out. They are not necessarily showing over the top guns in them but I like the creativity of a post-apocalyptic scenario with cars, bikes and trucks.

1 hour ago, Solaris_Wave said:

but I like the creativity of a post-apocalyptic scenario with cars, bikes and trucks.

and the extensive use of hockey/rugby shoulder pads!

I watched several of those in the very best case B minus level movies back around 2006-2010, sadly my memory of them are pretty blurry since I mostly watched them drunk.

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2023 at 11:45 AM, Hendrix said:

I watched several of those in the very best case B minus level movies back around 2006-2010, sadly my memory of them are pretty blurry since I mostly watched them drunk.

The only way to watch them, as they are not intended to be watched in the right state of mind (especially when considering that creators also usually weren't when they said: "YES! This is want we want!" :classic_biggrin:).

• Haha 2

I have always watched these films sober and aware (I don't drink alcohol anyway). There is a part of me that enjoys the films for their creativity and attempt to show an alternate world. Not only that but there are parts of my childhood that became instantly fascinated by post-apocalypse settings and cars with armour and guns. Some films actually seem to work better with a lesser budget when showing a dystopian setting. It is hard to explain because I don't mean films that are so cheap that the outfits and sets look like they were made from cardboard boxes.

The best way to describe it would be to use films like Escape From New York as a reference. There is a certain budget restriction that works in its favour. It isn't too glossy. Its sound and atmosphere is muted, the music is important but not vigorous (its synth style helps a lot as well). There are periods of quietness and just showing a scene.

There are films that came out between 1970 and the mid '80s that have captured a certain feel for me that often gets lost in today's glossy presentation. They can have scenes with very little music and just showing a slowly panning landscape, for instance. It can convey desolation. You have remoteness from population, normality and structure.

I am not saying that a big budget dystopian film/TV show doesn't work but they have to be careful in how they colour it, its use of music score and the willingness to dwell on a shot without wanting to cut to the next scene.

Having said that, when you see a supposedly futuristic gun with several fixed barrels, a Lewis-gun styled round magazine and a standard magazine for the main gun, a double-barrel shotgun where the sights should be, a large flashlight on top of that shotgun, and then two bayonets, a harpoon and rocket launcher underneath the gun…you do have to take the whole thing with several pinches of salt!

Edited by Solaris_Wave

• 3 weeks later...

I love the 'stealthy' suppressor. There is an important reason, when using a sniper rifle, to try to remain towards the back of the room and not near the window, so your barrel doesn't stick out and give your position away.

I think that in the case of this suppressor, you might be better off choosing the building before the building you were going to set up in.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

I haven't actually done more than look at the photo of the gun, so I don't know if you are able to fire off each barrel individually as well as release an entire salvo.

Whitout knowing anything about that specific gun I would guesstimate that it is a volley gun and in that case,  yes the barrels would fire simultaneously.

Those kind of guns were used to some extent in ship to ship combat but the shooter would often injure themself due to the harsh recoil.

You can certainly see the similarities between those two shotgun prototypes. The Defender looks more complicated but also with more firepower. I can see how such weapons weren't just for law enforcement (had they been contracted) but also for Vietnam. There could have been use for clearing bunkers and tunnels (hearing protection would be a must) and there were a few prototypes and customised weapons also used in Vietnam, usually by Special Forces.

Edited by Solaris_Wave