Want to get feet wet with JA2 while you wait for JA3? ..but the game is slow and stutters like mad? FIX. HERE.

GODSPEED

The fix is pretty simple and works on Windows 8, 10 and 11 (currently running butter smooth on Windows 11).
Make sure JA2 and whatever version of 1.13 you want are freshly installed.

• You need 3 .dll files related to Wine3D.
    You can find them here: https://www.nongnu.org/wined3d/ <- This is legit stuff, not some crack/torrent website. It is safe for work!
    Follow the instructions below.

You want to browse the Full directory (with older versions, patches...)

The only version that both contain all 3 DLL's AND also fix the game, is version 1.1.37.
I have tested (right before posting this) newer and older versions, and they do not work right.

Download the wine3d.exe file under the 1.1.37 folder.

Once downloaded, you will need to extract the .exe file using 7zip. Just right click the wine3d.exe file, click 7zip > Extract to "wine3d".

Open that folder, select the following files:

• ddraw.dll
  • libwine.dll
  • wine3d.dll

Copy and Paste these 3 files in your Jagged Alliance 2 main folder (where the .exe are located).

ENJOY!

-PS-
To avoid future issues and always have this quick fix handy for any mods you want to try, do the following:
Have a basic JA2 + 1.13 folder with these 3 files in them, and when you want to install/test/try a mod, simply copy/paste that entire folder and install the mod in that folder.

So your drive might look like this:

Z:\Games\Jagged Alliance 2 [1.13] //Never install mods in this directory, you could even zip/rar it and keep it safe on a cd or usb or under your pillow.
Z:\Games\Jagged Alliance modnamehere //directory copied from above, install mod here
Z:\Games\Jagged Alliance modnamehere //" "
Z:\Games\Jagged Alliance modnamehere //you get the idea...

• Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

I'm about to try this out, and got a question...there are three folders within wine3d.exe. $SYSDIR contains those three .dll files, but so does SysWOW64 subfolder within $WINDIR folder, and based on sizes, those .dll are not the same So...which ones should I use?

17 hours ago, Sarin said:

I'm about to try this out, and got a question...there are three folders within wine3d.exe. $SYSDIR contains those three .dll files, but so does SysWOW64 subfolder within $WINDIR folder, and based on sizes, those .dll are not the same So...which ones should I use?

I don't remember seeing that.

Make sure it is version 1.1.37

If you can confirm it is the right version, try the 3 files from any of the folders. Test the game, if no improvement, delete those and try the other folder.

Let me know if it doesn't work.