Tip for meeting Corazon/Faucheux at Refugee Camp

ZeeraCamay

So in my previous game, I didn't go to the meeting, and the story progressed anyway. This time, I saw a squad leaving the nearby base, heading for the camp, so I sent my group to intercept, arriving at exactly the same time. Interestingly, while the attack had still taken place, instead of 'firestorm' weather, it was a clear day.

Rather than go and speak to Faucheux (and ending up surrounded), I climbed the tower to the south of the map, and free-aimed one of the soldiers on the mesa, which kicked off the battle. Sniping them all at range was pretty straightforward, and I managed to pick up some sniper rifles and other gear I otherwise wouldn't have had. Give it a go - makes for a fun little workaround to what is normally a very difficult situation.

From a standpoint of efficiency, and because you don't have unlimited mercs at your disposal, it's better to focus on defence and not "waste" a squad to deal with the troops at the Refugee Camp. Loot will be plenty anyway.

You can have one merc triggering the all-out attack by simply moving him to one of the last squares near the Major. It can be your weakest merc, because he won't have to fight. He'll simply retreat when he meets the defenders on the square he was moving to. The important part is that he triggers the army attack.

At that point you should have all four recruitable mercs, 15 AIM mercs and your IMP, minus the one triggering the event. So 19 defenders in total.

Now, if you bring enough explosives with you and Ivan, maybe also Barry, you can intercept all(!) 5 or 6 army squads, who start on the square right of the Wassergrab mine, for a total of 60-70 enemies. Thanks to Ivan and a bunch of explosives you can clear them all out in one single turn, greatly reducing the amount of mercs needed to defend anything.

The rest of your defending forces should split between Port Cacao mine (3 squads will hit it), Pantagruel (also 3 squads will hit it), the A2 mine (1 squad will hit it, so 1 mercs with 8 veteran milita for auto-resolve will be enough) and Fleamarket (2 or 3 squads will hit it).

Do this and you have almost nothing to retake, just a few outposts here and there, but nothing too important. All except the big fight near Wassergrab should be auto-resolvable, leaving you with tons of loot.

I found this the most efficient way of dealing with the situation, but I'm open to suggestions on how to improve!

7 hours ago, LXant said:

I found this the most efficient way of dealing with the situation, but I'm open to suggestions on how to improve!

My hint: trigger the refugee camp as early as possible. Taking Diamond Red and Wassergrab is far easier once the army wipes out the Legion, you don't need resources to capture and THEN defend. Just let them fight 🙂

2 minutes ago, wilku said:

My hint: trigger the refugee camp as early as possible. Taking Diamond Red and Wassergrab is far easier once the army wipes out the Legion, you don't need resources to capture and THEN defend. Just let them fight 🙂

But then you have to conquer a map that is full of stronger enemies (with the annoying Lighting Reflexes perk), instead of just fighting the (weak) Legion and then holding on to everything without any problems.

18 hours ago, LXant said:

But then you have to conquer a map that is full of stronger enemies (with the annoying Lighting Reflexes perk), instead of just fighting the (weak) Legion and then holding on to everything without any problems.

True, but you fight once, don't care about setting up the militia everywhere, etc. Both ways have their pros and cons.

i already had fully modded hk-21 when i got there. all my mercs were inside of shaman's place. put down raven overwatch with hk-21 using ammo piercing bullets. then took headshots with my other mercs (armed with gewehr and svd) for close ones. also got barry in my team since day 1 and his amazing shaped charges did the job. too easy. none of my mercs wounded in commando diff.

i got imp, fox, raven, barry, wolfie and livewire in my squad.

Edited by shadoww

I put Barry below the cliff, grizzly beside- lobbed grenades over. Did a mortar bombardment of their positions before they bombarded me with mustard gas. Tried to get as many injured as possible. They will charge down to your position so you just have to pick them off as they appear and avoid the poison gas. 

make sure some of your snipers have thermal scopes during the poison gas bombardment