Jagged Alliance 3 in GameStar preview.

Wigen

It should also be noted that with both examples we have a couple of years between the announcement trailer and the final release date.

I just hope things go a bit faster with JA3. We're patient, sure, but waiting for 3 or 4 more years? That would be too much.

• Sad 2

In the future, we’ll be posting regular DevDiaires to give a unique behind-the-scenes perspective of how we’re building this game to be a true successor for a beloved franchise.

The only thing we are waiting for are answers to some of the FAQ questions from Haemimont Games. This should be followed by the successive addition of DevDiary by THQ. And that's it. 🙂

Edited by Wigen
  • Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 1:24 PM, LXant said:

I just hope things go a bit faster with JA3. We're patient, sure, but waiting for 3 or 4 more years? That would be too much.

The Announcement Trailer had a CGI short movie and some gameplay.. I'm guessing (really just a guess on my part) that they already have all the underlying mechanics in place and they are creating the different locations, details and questlines.

Usually, games get a very early CGI reveal (3-5 years before release) to announce itself and create some buzz around it.

Gameplay reveal usually comes when they've nailed down most elements of the game (1-3 years ?).

In my own mind, I would like this to be an early-mid 2022 release, but I would imagine something closer to 2023.

On 10/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, Wigen said:

As you can see, each developer has a different approach to communicating progress on the game and this has to be respected. 🙂 Another gives earlier and the other later.

I think they are playing it "safe" by keeping a little quiet about this game. They must realize the game has a little bit of a cult following (yes, I am part of the Cult of Deidranna okay!!? 🤣 ..we hoard guns and take turns slapping someone called Elliot).. so, maybe keeping quiet is actually the better way to control the fans that would turn things too negative? After all, just that Trailer Reveal has created a stir and a buzz in the JA world.. so it doens't take much to get us going.

I might be overthinking that.. and they are simply not at the stage of releasing more info as you said.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2021 at 2:53 PM, Acid said:

What's a bit deflating is the lack of commentary from the developers in here.

The CTO of Haemimont Games a month ago assured that communication on the forum will be revived over time. I trust that they will keep their word 🙂

Or maybe there will be a representative of the community from THQ Nordic.

Edited by Wigen

On 10/15/2021 at 6:31 PM, GODSPEED said:

Oh jeez... tell me about it!

😑

When you talk Turn-Based games and they say xcom and you think they are talking Apocalypse.. and they have no idea what that is.. and then you try to explain the beauty of JA2... and they are just like: "have you played Divinity Original Sin 2?"

sigh

If these guys botch JA3... we'll need to join forces.. 9mm + 7.62x39mm before anyone else ever attempts another failure.
[seriously, to anyone reading that; it is a JOKE!!!...I have no violent tendencies other than in JA2!!!!!!]

I love JA2. I am 51, so I played Jagged Alliance 1 in law school and JA2 as a young lawyer. So I am an OG fan. But I also like new new Xcom and DOS2, as well. And both Pathfinder games... gotta take our turn-based tactical wins where we can find them. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Paladin07 said:

I love JA2. I am 51, so I played Jagged Alliance 1 in law school and JA2 as a young lawyer. So I am an OG fan. But I also like new new Xcom and DOS2, as well. And both Pathfinder games... gotta take our turn-based tactical wins where we can find them. 

Hey, those aren't bad games at all!

I just think the layering and freedom found in some of the more complex tactical games is missing and/or lacking in many modern remakes/reworks/re-imaginings.

I believe it is mostly to appeal to a bigger audience through the use of multiple platform options; thus, the more controlled and linear approach.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Wigen said:

The 5 most anticipated turn-based tactical games in 2022. Jagged Alliance 3 in first position.

https://turnbasedlovers.com/lists/5-most-anticipated-turn-based-tactical-games-of-2022-two-clicks-picks/

Great article!

The first game in the list - Project Haven - caught my eye some time ago.. but I forgot about it.

One thing that I really like about the gameplay is that it mixes Pheonix Points aiming system (that I really liked) with Jagged Alliances method of AP/Aim.

Not certain how much I would like the rest of the game, but those are interesting ways to modernize the older style Action Point games.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I see the whole thing rather calmly. It is enough for me to know that the development of the game is still ongoing. And yet, I prefer to be shown and explained to me things that really are game and work well, not empty promises months or years in advance that are thrown over five times.

Anyway, it is very, very nice that the German game magazine GameStar does not forget about Jagged Alliance 3. Today there is a new article.

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/jagged-alliance-3-macht-euch-keine-sorgen,3382201.html

• Thanks 2

Yesterday I was able to access the full article about Jagged Alliance 3 posted on GameStar. In fact, I didn't notice anything new about the game, but some fragments of it caught my attention.

Most of all, I hope the studio has incorporated community feedback into it's work on the conversion. During the gameplay reveal, there were a lot of fans who were concerned that Jagged Alliance would be a clone similar to XCOM; Hopefully the developers have taken countermeasures here to clarify that apart from the interface, there are definitely differences between the JA3 and the Firaxis series:

- your mercenaries can take more than two actions per turn, action points work around the return.

- weapons can be modified.

- the battlefield is not based on a checkerboard pattern, so you can move freely.

- there is inventory and limited ammunition.

- you can command multiple units at the same time.

- hit chance may be hidden.

Release date:

Personally, I expect a premiere in early or mid 2023, anything else would probably be too late. As XCOM 3 seems to be only a matter of time, and this - sorry, dear JA fans - in the meantime is a much bigger name, especially internationally and on consoles. 

Along with Xenonauts 2, Project Haven and Hard West 2, several smaller games are waiting to become a surprising hit on Steam. At the same time, Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope and Marvel's Midnight Suns, two licensed games of the same genre, will be released in October - so the 2022 holiday business is packed.

Modding:

Jagged Alliance shouldn't afford it, at least not on the higher difficulty levels, as hardcore fans have been used to the tougher pace for years with JA2 1.13 and mods. The active community of mods for Jagged Alliance 2 has taken so many steps towards authenticity that it would be a shame if Part 3 went back here in the hope of reconciling the series with the masses. In order for all buyer groups to be addressed equally, a developer needs a steady hand.

Modders for decades kept Jagged Alliance 2 alive while the series was tinkered with. Nothing is known about the possible mod support of part 3. The modders have kept Jagged Alliance 2 alive for decades while the series has been tampered with. Nothing is known about the possible mod support of part 3.

What do you think about it?

PS: Of course, there is a bit of this, but then I would have to paste the entire text.

Edited by Wigen
  • Thanks 3

@Wigen THANK YOU! 🍻

What are my thoughts?

To be honest, at this point, I feel a little blank when I think about JA3. I have the impression that much of what we saw in the original trailer will be different, but maybe not in the way I would like it to be.

I hope that Jagged Alliance 3 will be Jagged Alliance and not an Xcom mod/skin.. it's pretty much that simple.

I know the article says it won't be a two action turn, but that doesn't mean much; they could have made it into 4 action points instead and the result will be similar.

I am very curious about the free movement thing though. This would resemble something more like Jagged Alliance Back in Action. Does this mean we will have line of sight from the view of eyes and then another line of sight for the guns?

It gives me more questions and less answers and so I feel maybe even more mixed up again. 😕

I honestly want to feel positive about the game, as much for other fans as for HG; I'm pretty certain they must feel some sort of passion (I hope) working for this project.

It's just hard to get my mind around the game or what to think at the moment.

But thanks man! Thank you for the time you take to keep this place active!
You created this topic OCTOBER 15th 2021 😂

Edited by GODSPEED
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GODSPEED said:

What do you think about the article?

Worries? Hopes?

I have a lot of concerns about the game itself, but in general, after reading the article in its entirety, I am rather positive and agree with it completely. Some things could have been done better.

Just waiting for a game doesn't bother me, on the contrary, announcing games many years in advance in my opinion is much more irritating. Some developers and publishers are still very amateurish, and the enormously enlarged market and its clients also earn a lot of money in this area.

There is definitely something to hope that this time it won't end up like the last few tries or a similar series like HOMM. Hopefully it won't be like XCOM compared to the original. I like micromanagement and the ability to choose where to attack whom and how 🙂

I am an optimist and I hope it will be a good version of Jagged Alliance. A new deal and hopes for Jagged Alliance 4 🙂

Edited by Wigen
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 11:07 AM, Wigen said:

- the battlefield is not based on a checkerboard pattern, so you can move freely.

So that seems like it will be similar to D:OS2 or BG3. They use free movement systems and it's wonderful.

Keep it weird and funny because the tone of the newest games (especially Rage) isn't really, in my mind, similar to what we got with JA2.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think its great to hear that you have more freedom how you want to explore the map. You can fight enemies but you can also just look for loot or think about your next step to get that sector back. That sounds really good. And the different terrain levels give you even more freedom how you fight the enemy.