Chopping of heads / Dismemberment

Goliath

I remember a friend of mine introducing me to JA2 by saying : "this is the most brutal game ever! You can even chop off heads"

And i have to admit, that was what caught my curiosity. 

It wasn't that i was a big gore fan, not at all, but showing this level of serious, gritty, brutal reality made this game so special to me. 

Nothing harder hitting to lose a merc to a headshot with his head exploding. 

Or killing an enemy this way. 

The point is, i hope this level of seriousness comes back. 

I would even add critically wounds, where a merc/enemy just lies on the floor bleeding heavily and twitching around. Adding the stress of urgency to help him. 

Or if its an enemy to open up the question "shall i end his misery or let him suffer" 

This is a war game, a game about the most serious gritty things we humans know and do. 

I hope ja3 doesnt cut back here on what made ja2 special but knows how to skillfully embrace this darkness. 

Edited by Goliath
  • Like 2

Guess you didnt watched any of the trailer videos, it shows where a head is exploding by a sniper rifle, also where a enemy soldier is getting to pieces from Fauda`s grenade (the destruction and explosion effect was too simply made though imo.) Hope they work seriously on this as well, different blood & gore effects, where Barry shooting with his shotgun and the blood splashing to the ground doesnt look bad but hope they bring different varieties of deaths, few of the death effects should be rare so sometimes we can say wow, damn OMG what was that? Weapon and bullets types should also have different impacts, like when you are shooting with a 9mm the heads should not explode or the possibly should be very minimal, instead when you are shooting with a heavier calibre like magnum, shotgun near distance or 50 calibre should have a pretty high % possibility to blow heads.

Shooting the legs off from enemies would be also a brutal effect, like after a shotgun shot to the legs, they should lose their legs and only crawl on the ground, then if they get saved by their back ups, they should replace them with those wooded pirate legs as we saw in the trailer, but guess am dreaming too much already, maybe not. 😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Personally i don't think that is so important. That is not what makes a game great for me. I would at least like an option like there is in JA2, to turn it on or off. I do agree that critical hits can be a part of it.

To me, in JA2 at least, where that is a part of the game, it is very important for me to keep my mercs as safe as absolutely possible. I try to dispose of any enemy as quickly as possible, as soon as they get into the line of sight, so that my mercs take as few hits as possible, minimizing the chances for critical hits.

It's a fine line, i think. It is a game, and too much details kills the fun. But having elements from reality is not a bad thing. But whether it's gory or not is not what makes or breaks the game for me. The art for me is the perfect balance of details and all the other factors that makes a game.

Edited by Taurean

• 2 weeks later...

Violence is not enough to make the game serious. Trailers look like a parody on JA2. Modern game studios don't have the guts to embrace the kind of darkness 90's games explored.

I think everything that makes JA2 so special is just impossible today, the times have changed too much. And the aim, it seems, to sell a pretty-looking funny game to the smartphone-minded modern gamers.

• 4 weeks later...

If there is no gore or fucced up stuff in story different kill animations exploding heads, dismemberment (idk).. fucced up reactions of mercs.. brutal psycho mercs, brutal psycho enemies. THEN I think the game will be LACKING in so much... people are not some inocent modern sheep... people like violence and gore to some extent.. just look at TV shows... the brutal ones are often good in rating and people remember them... moderate violence in JA3 is A MUST and harder more severe violence would be very good... like dont get me wrong I am not some psycho who likes only violence I am just saying people generaly want to see it in games TV everywhere... if JA3 is without violence gore and some fucced up story twist it is gonna flop so hard with the old school players... and who will be the main buyers of the game??? People who played JA1,2 and the old school players playing JA, Xcom and so on--- NO GORE/VIOLENCE = FAILED GAME. end of the story 😄 

LIKE YEAH there was even mission for chopping off the heads of the criminals for money in JA2 and that was a great quest... very good for a payer to be interested to find the criminals and really chop off their heads. Searching the whole sector thoroughly... 😄 yeah choping of heads would be great with some quest... add Intercept organization and their headhunting bussines... 😄 

CARMEEEENNN DANCIOOOOO -> get it? -> intercept?

A bounty hunter employed by Intercept, on the hunt for targets in Arulco. According to Carmen, Arulco is a prime terrorist hideout, which is what has led him to the country.

Just now, Martin said:

LIKE YEAH there was even mission for chopping off the heads of the criminals for money in JA2 and that was a great quest... very good for a payer to be interested to find the criminals and really chop off their heads. Searching the whole sector thoroughly... 😄 yeah choping of heads would be great with some quest... add Intercept organization and their headhunting bussines... 😄 

CARMEEEENNN DANCIOOOOO -> get it? -> intercept?

A bounty hunter employed by Intercept, on the hunt for targets in Arulco. According to Carmen, Arulco is a prime terrorist hideout, which is what has led him to the country.

BTW Interpol which is in game Intercept will be celebrating 100 years of existence in 7th September 2023... would be nice to have them there... 😄 seriously the easter eggs in JA2 for regular real life institutions were great... for example when the priest in JA2 mentions that Queen Deidrana had something to do with THE POPE... 😄 fucc you can even mention Queen Elizabeth to honor her death in the game 😄 she was alive back in 2001 or what is the game time 😄 mention some IRL events that happened in the time period 😄 

Apart from a few occasions, I never felt JA2 was particularly violent. I certainly didn't buy it for any gore. In fact, other than decapitation and giving a full-auto burst at close range, the more memorable thing about the game were the carrion birds when the corpses remained.

If you really want a gory turn-based game, the Fallout series is more apt. The gore in that game was so much, that at times it was borderline comical.

15 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

Apart from a few occasions, I never felt JA2 was particularly violent. I certainly didn't buy it for any gore. In fact, other than decapitation and giving a full-auto burst at close range, the more memorable thing about the game were the carrion birds when the corpses remained.

If you really want a gory turn-based game, the Fallout series is more apt. The gore in that game was so much, that at times it was borderline comical.

Well ok I guess I am not that weird if I think JA2 kill animations had good level of gore... so what I think is enough? Lets make a list... grunts when hit/dying... animations diferent on from which direction the guy was killed.. exploding heads depending on caliber, full outo close range knock guy back like in JA2.. rotting corpses was great addition and the reactions of mercs to it was GOLD.. the crows eating the corpses was also epic cause you could shoot them and get Marksmanship poins for it.. epic 😄 Chopping off heads was good cause it had quest background and people reacted when you gave them head (pun intended) did I miss something? yeah burning people when hit with grenades... bodies getting thrown up and incenerated with explosions that was good.. they reacted to grenades knock back and stuff... if that isnt in the game it will be shame... and people laughing maniacaly or getting shocked from the special kills that was golden too... please devs let it be in the game... it would be so blunt if you hit a guy with grenade and he woud stay STOICly like a GOLEM there LOL... make grenades more diverse... not exploding doing big and low or NO damage if the enemy is wearing some protection.. destroing walls or something. Do you agree? 🙂