The world is dumbing down

StoProGratis

Ok guys soo what do you think about what's happening in todays media and internet is tend to make people stupid?

Kids are happy to pay for a skin in Fortnite

Pay2Win games like World of Tanks

More teens think that seeling a naked pictures is nothing wrong

Modern music is more like chimps jumnping with the gold chain taking only bout cash and sex

People want to be rich but dont want to learn or work hard

The media wants you to hate someone black vs white, vegan vs meat eaters, climate freaks vs rest of the world

Here in my country for few years we have a lot of articles aiming in women about foreign guys are better, local men suxx, beats you and have no money

People don't belong to forums anymore. They dont talk about what connects them. They fight on Tweeter/FB about any BS.

It all looks like we had a pinnacle as a humankind in the end of 90s but people were too self-concious and too anti globalistic, anti corporational so right in the 00's we were Too Fast too Furios attacked with the dumb shyt from all over the radio, tv and later the internet.

For me there is no coincidence. Those things are being pushed by the groups of power, corporations and foreign countries agencies.

• 2 weeks later...

Social Media is quite poisonous. Also parents need to raise their kids better, and model better behavior for them as well. I think all of the bad things have always been there in one form or another, modern society and technology simply magnify them and in many cases actively glorify them.

Not sure what can be done about it on a global level, but on an individual level there is always hope.

Social Media is what is killing society as we once knew it. And our 90's generation is part of the problem in making it happen. Many, if not all, of my friends use FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram and whatever. Whenever going out, many of them have their mobile phones in front of them on the table, constantly looking at it. It's freaking annoying.

I myself stopped using FB after 1 week, never got into Twitter, Insta etc and hardly ever take the mobile phone out of my pocket when at a party or other social event. I am there to TALK to people IRL (yeah, that might sound very creepy to most Next gen kids out there). I'm there on the dancefloor to have fun instead of making selfies with a glass of booz all the time.

I actually stopped reading the news and listening to news broadcasting on TV and radio. Only listing to add/news free radio and preferably music from the 70 until the 90's. I do appreciate some of the past 2000's music but most of it seems to be as you described. Drill rap just singing about drugs, money, b*tches and stuff like that. DJ's not able to come up with original tunes any more and just copying old stuff (looking at you David Guetta). I do however appreciate rare species such as Ed Sheeran; those that stay true to themselves and can actually sing without dubbing every single line.

Yeah it might make the world a little smaller but that is how I like it. I have enough stuff to worry about already and don't constantly need to hear about masses of gold hunters from 3rd world countries pouring into the Western World, putting even more pressure on societies or the next climate demonstration resulting into more restrictions for humanity also affecting those (like me) already cleaning up their own mess. Or dictator X doing that for self enrichment.

Edited by ShadowMagic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ShadowMagic said:

Whenever going out, many of them have their mobile phones in front of them on the table, constantly looking at it. It's freaking annoying.

That ^

I don't get it. I've always felt like it's a lack of respect to be doing something else while you're with friends. It's the same as if you we're with friends, but then they spend their time calling other people. Hey put your things on the side for two goddamn minutes.

I remember being an ICQ and MSN Messenger freak when in my teens... but I wasn't doing that while I was with my friends.

My younger siblings, when I see them, they are glued to their frikkin' phones. At the table, phone is as important as fork and knife. Looking at it every couple minutes.

I'm guessing that is the same experience as most modern societies.. and I think it's part of a bigger problem, but also shows how frail family values have become.

• Like 1

We are not alone with our pondering. 😅 But in famous company.

"They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things -- and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning -- all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything -- they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else." 
Aristotle (322-384 BC).

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
Socrates (470-399 BC)

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint". Hesiod (670-740 BC)

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
Peter the Hermit (1050-1115 AD)

Maybe we are too old..😅

Edited by 5Cents
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ShadowMagic said:

Social Media is what is killing society as we once knew it. And our 90's generation is part of the problem in making it happen. Many, if not all, of my friends use FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram and whatever. Whenever going out, many of them have their mobile phones in front of them on the table, constantly looking at it. It's freaking annoying.

I myself stopped using FB after 1 week, never got into Twitter, Insta etc and hardly ever take the mobile phone out of my pocket when at a party or other social event. I am there to TALK to people IRL (yeah, that might sound very creepy to most Next gen kids out there). I'm there on the dancefloor to have fun instead of making selfies with a glass of booz all the time.

I actually stopped reading the news and listening to news broadcasting on TV and radio. Only listing to add/news free radio and preferably music from the 70 until the 90's. I do appreciate some of the past 2000's music but most of it seems to be as you described. Drill rap just singing about drugs, money, b*tches and stuff like that. DJ's not able to come up with original tunes any more and just copying old stuff (looking at you David Guetta). I do however appreciate rare species such as Ed Sheeran; those that stay true to themselves and can actually sing without dubbing every single line.

Yeah it might make the world a little smaller but that is how I like it. I have enough stuff to worry about already and don't constantly need to hear about masses of gold hunters from 3rd world countries pouring into the Western World, putting even more pressure on societies or the next climate demonstration resulting into more restrictions for humanity also affecting those (like me) already cleaning up their own mess. Or dictator X doing that for self enrichment.

We share a lot of similarities! I deleted all of my social media a while back and I don't do news whatsoever. If something major happens that I need to know about, I am sure I will find out one way or another. Aside from that though, I don't want to know. I like my 'smaller world' as you said. 😄 The bad things will happen regardless of whether I know about them happening or not - the only thing reading all of the news of the world does is increase my depression levels and further frustrate and upset myself. No thanks. 😉 

Like you mentioned, I too am kept plenty busy with my own challenges and problems, raising my family and just trying to be a good person. I don't need to borrow trouble as they say!

I listen to mostly the same music/albums I always have. I find something I like, I stop looking as I already found the thing and I just enjoy it... hah.

Have a good 'un!

🙂

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 5Cents said:

We are not alone with our pondering. 😅 But in famous company.

"They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things -- and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning -- all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything -- they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else." 
Aristotle (322-384 BC).

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
Socrates (470-399 BC)

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint". Hesiod (670-740 BC)

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
Peter the Hermit (1050-1115 AD)

Maybe we are too old..😅

Of course all generations frown upon the next one for being spoiled, lazy and all. But there is one major difference with those perceptions in ancient times and nowadays...

Industrial revolution, hence automation, robotics and social media (especially now with AI) increased the pace and intensity in which society dumbs down; at an expentional rate, so fast the previous generations can't do damage control any longer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShadowMagic said:

Of course all generations frown upon the next one for being spoiled, lazy and all. But there is one major difference with those perceptions in ancient times and nowadays...

Industrial revolution, hence automation, robotics and social media (especially now with AI) increased the pace and intensity in which society dumbs down; at an expentional rate, so fast the previous generations can't do damage control any longer.

Well, i think we are all members of an mentally limited, if not mentally retarded specie, which doesnt realize, that its digging the already existing own grave with every day even deeper..

Human nature has biological a strong primitive, destructive part, which isnt removable. 
I think that might be the reason for the fate of mankind to die out.

The question is, how will the junkie (mankind) die? By his additiction (for might & money f.e.), by accident (nuclear war, asteroid) or something else (clima change results, virus,etc).

What ever we bet, we wont survive our supposition..😆

Nevertheless its actually a interesting story (i would like rather read about), only a bit sad, at least if youre a human.

Edited by 5Cents

On 7/26/2023 at 2:05 AM, GODSPEED said:

That ^

I don't get it. I've always felt like it's a lack of respect to be doing something else while you're with friends. It's the same as if you we're with friends, but then they spend their time calling other people. Hey put your things on the side for two goddamn minutes.

I remember being an ICQ and MSN Messenger freak when in my teens... but I wasn't doing that while I was with my friends.

My younger siblings, when I see them, they are glued to their frikkin' phones. At the table, phone is as important as fork and knife. Looking at it every couple minutes.

I'm guessing that is the same experience as most modern societies.. and I think it's part of a bigger problem, but also shows how frail family values have become.

In NZ they are thinking of banning iPhones in schools during class, can't believe it took this long, when I was at school they took our walk-mans off us or magazines if they saw us with them and didn't give them back till the end of the year.

But in this woke sensitive world, you can't properly discipline, I fear for the future Generations, and how this world will end up.

God help us.

Edited by Acid
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...