Is it a must to kill the Colonel in the very first meeting to get the Major ?

LoboNocturno

I just completed the Biff quest where comes like 3 to 4 troops back to back, then Corazon said there will be a meeting in the Refugee Camp where is Colonel Faucheux with his well equipped troops, first i tried to talk to him but he goes away with his guards and right away your flanked by his troops where they put you in real trouble.

I also heard you need to kill him right away there without any convo to get the Major, do anybody have a idea that can help me out please ?

Guess you need to attack him from far right away without conversation ?

JA3 - Colonel Fauchux - War Crimes.jpg

I believe he always walks away here.

Mild Spoiler: you will meet him again after the camp and this might be the thing you are referring to. In the second encounter it is beneficial to not get spotted and take him out quickly.

Bigger Spoiler: There are a lot of ways to gain influence with the Major, for example: how much territory you have (cities, outposts), how long you took, outcomes of certain quests, conversation options you pick with the Major.

Spoiler!

I got the Major in my first playthrough without having ever met the Colonel (or even knowing he existed). I then proceeded to mop up the rest of the end game baddies with the Major on my team. I don't think what you are asking about is a factor at all for this. 🙂

• Like 1

Spoiler

I ignored Corazon's invitation. I tried to kill the Colonel in his camp before getting to the Major. I shot him, he recovered instantly, nothing happened, none of his soldiers turned hostile.

I took care of the Major and recruited him. Then I could kill the Colonel in his camp, quite a battle.

So I think you must take care of the Major before killing him.

1 hour ago, Claudius33 said:

I ignored Corazon's invitation. I tried to kill the Colonel in his camp before getting to the Major. I shot him, he recovered instantly, nothing happened, none of his soldiers turned hostile.

I took care of the Major and recruited him. Then I could kill the Colonel in his camp, quite a battle.

So I think you must take care of the Major before killing him.

Not sure if your game bugged out or what exactly happened in your playthrough (You talk about attacking him in his camp, do you mean the K16 Fort?) but you definitely do not have to do the Major before you can kill the Colonel.

15 minutes ago, Attempt said:

Not sure if your game bugged out or what exactly happened in your playthrough (You talk about attacking him in his camp, do you mean the K16 Fort?) but you definitely do not have to do the Major before you can kill the Colonel.

Yes K16 fort. Maybe a bug then because I skip Corazon's meeting. Any way I did complete the playtrough 😄.

Weird. Can you give some more details how K16 played out? Did you arrive through the tunnel? Was he in his usual spot in the office? Did you get spotted before attacking him? And what did you mean by him recovering? Did he die and come back to life or did he not take damage? Normally getting spotted or attacking him should play some short dialogue and start combat.

@Attempt

Yes I came through the tunnel. The Colonel, in his office, got shot and recovered immediatly. Noone reacted. I couldn't talk to him either.

My best guess is because the large counterattack was not triggered yet, the Colonel and his soldiers are sill considered as neutral.

Afterward closing the Major's position triggered the counterattack. Once it's launched I guess you can kill the" Colonel before doing the Major.

Edited by Claudius33
clarification
  • Like 1

Interesting notes, those well equipped guys (looking like Hunk of Resident Evil) of the Colonel with gasmask are really strong, you have to give them with the usual sniper rifles like 2 head shots or 3 - 4 body shots, is there any bullet type that you guys could suggest so i can kill them by 1 shot ?

Then over it the gas mortars will drain you dead tired and i dont have enough gasmasks for all of my mercs.

BTW i took it now to the highest difficulty and hell yea its challenging, especially against those elite guys but i dont have yet the very best weapons either to be honest.

20 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

Guess you need to attack him from far right away without conversation ?

No, getting the Major and all his dialogue options works fine if you follow the assumed storyline for Col. Fuckoff.

22 minutes ago, LoboNocturno said:

Interesting notes, those well equipped guys (looking like Hunk of Resident Evil) of the Colonel with gasmask are really strong, you have to give them with the usual sniper rifles like 2 head shots or 3 - 4 body shots, is there any bullet type that you guys could suggest so i can kill them by 1 shot ?

AP on armored enemies, HP on unarmored. That simple.
And you can't always 1shot them, because you're not hidden so you don't get a stealth kill.

Hint: there's an ammo type that increases the crit chance - that will help in certain cases.

Edited by wilku

20 minutes ago, wilku said:

No, getting the Major and all his dialogue options works fine if you follow the assumed storyline for Col. Fuckoff.

AP on armored enemies, HP on unarmored. That simple.
And you can't always 1shot them, because you're not hidden so you don't get a stealth kill.

Hint: there's an ammo type that increases the crit chance - that will help in certain cases.

The thing is you are flanked right after the convo with the Colonel (yes i want to take the dialogue with the Colonel), by his elite guys (like 9 or 10, including a Sergeant & a Lieutenant "Very Strong") that will damage totally your whole squad by the next turn, so i tried to send only Igor to the convo with the Colonel since he can run away way further then most other mercs but he still gets nailed down while my other 5 mercs are waiting for ambush.

At least if i could kill by 1 turn the enemies in front of me it would be ok but can only kill like 3 or 4 of them in the very first turn and the rest nailing me still down.

If i had a 2.squad i could have it done though by the very first turn but not with 6 mercs only.

Or what is the best way to clean then all without to get seriously hit ?

56 minutes ago, LoboNocturno said:

The thing is you are flanked right after the convo with the Colonel (yes i want to take the dialogue with the Colonel), by his elite guys (like 9 or 10, including a Sergeant & a Lieutenant "Very Strong") that will damage totally your whole squad by the next turn, so i tried to send only Igor to the convo with the Colonel since he can run away way further then most other mercs but he still gets nailed down while my other 5 mercs are waiting for ambush.

At least if i could kill by 1 turn the enemies in front of me it would be ok but can only kill like 3 or 4 of them in the very first turn and the rest nailing me still down.

If i had a 2.squad i could have it done though by the very first turn but not with 6 mercs only.

Or what is the best way to clean then all without to get seriously hit ?

Not sue on what difficulty you play, but on First Blood and Commando you get the first round, so before the dialogue you'd move the squad behind the totem, tent, etc, but generally atop the hill. Have your shotgunner do the talking, as they will have a few targets to pick from. The colonel walks away with a bunch of his soldiers, so there's usually 5-6 in the nearest vincinity on the hill top, so your priorities list / sequence of actions is as follows:
1. have cover, kneel, you may even hide.
2. be ready to go burst with AP ammo on each of your mercs withot a need to reposition (yes, it sucks, it's meta-gaming)
3. do the talk
3. eliminate the nearest enemies
4. eliminate grenadiers / ordnance guys (armored, use AP)
5. set up overwatch > end round
6. clear anyone climbing the hill / snipe enemies further away > end round
7. mvoe away from mortar fire, INTO cover
8. repeat 🙂

If you have issues clearing the hill on round 1 gear up and do the camp later.

Also, a golden thought in my opinion: An overwatch is usually MUCH better than the last shot/burst. Set up an overwatch on an almost dead enemy and finish them off the moment they breathe in their round.

• Thanks 1

Let me try out the way you explained, as i wrote above playing on the hardest difficulty, getting the first turn most times but like i said can take out only 3 to 4 enemies if i got all six around the Colonel convo area, firstly firing with Fauda a RPG so 2 to 3 enemies (may only 1 dies and the remaining 2 are still in good condition) then finishing the 2 wounded ones and may 1 another with the snipers but in the 2. turn they bringing the half of the HP down of most mercs (possibly 1 merc even dies), not a huge fan of overwatch but i will give it a try as you said.

My tactic was to talk to the Colonel with 1 merc (who has high agility) so i can run away from the scene and bait the commandos to my 5 mercs that is on ambush.

The thing is Igor (my merc with highest agility) doesn't manage to survive to escape from there, if i could bring all those enemies to my ambush area, am sure i would clean them out before they even reach to me.

Lemme share screenshots.

Screenshot 2023-08-20 234501.png

Screenshot 2023-08-20 234533.png

Edited by LoboNocturno

@wilku Damn thanks it was piece of cake setting the mercs right on the scene with overwatch, i tried my tactic several times today, talking to the Colonel with 1 merc, setting the rest of 5 into ambush then to bait them with the 1 merc all other enemies but the bait merc was getting nailed down each time which was giving me frustration lol.

With this overwatch tactic, got hit only once, seems like setting the machine gun is highly effective, though am using it very rarely.

Screenshot2023-08-21000945.thumb.png.68b603a04f3304b93bfd65c7588cd42e.pngScreenshot2023-08-21002432.thumb.png.0c6a5fd5571a876b3217ebee55c9fd64.pngScreenshot2023-08-21002432.thumb.png.0c6a5fd5571a876b3217ebee55c9fd64.pngScreenshot2023-08-21002503.thumb.png.83beb10b680fb50c8f2bdbaaa5749283.png

Screenshot 2023-08-21 002415.png