QoL featues and general feedback

chr_isso

Good Morning Fellas, i hope you had an amazing weekend with hours of fun and entertainment.
I've been playing for around 22 Hours now and I think I'm ready to give a little feedback.

But first of all: haemimont games, congratulations, this game is amazing and a true jagged alliance!
Kudos and thank you from my side. The new status effects are awesome and bring in a lot of new possibilities and i really really love sneaking and stealth combat.

As with all games, some QoL Features would be nice and in my opionion some tweaks would be nice.

Inventory:

1. Please bring in an auto sort function for the Sector Stash.
Sort 2-Slot Weapons on top, then followed by guns, ammunition, knifes, tools and the rest.
Or something like that. But please, bring us a sort feature.

2. Make the inventory icons smaller. And display more information.
The scrolling is annoying, unfortunately. 

3. Don't split Squad Supplies when you switch mercs to another squad. Or just give the new Squad ammunition for the weapons the merc carries.
I ran out of 7.62 Nato ammunition during combat because i realized too late that my supply got split (early game).

4. Give us a "take all ammo" shortcut. "Take All" is not what I mostly want, I simply want to stack all ammunition.

Combat:
5. Please make it so that you can only shoot when you click on the body part, e.g. head, arms, torso.
I can't count how many times i accidentally shot the ground or an obstacle because I misclicked - i wanted to cancel the action and instead clicked somewhere in the screen - to see my merc is shooting instead of cancelling the action.
Yes, this is a minor requestt but i annoyed the shit of me in the first few hours.

6. Bring in an item like "stones" or "empty bottles" which can be thrown like a grenade to distract enemies.
If you want to stealth a sector you sometimes end up with two enemies standing close to each other and even though you sneak close to them (often triggering conversation and then movement) they would stand close to each other, making it more or less impossible to kill them stealthy.

Other:
7. Bring in more items required for crafting. Parts, Lenses and Pipes is a little too less of items. You'll find yourself flooded with those during midgame, not knowing what to do with them anymore.

@Community:
What are thoughts?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, chr_isso said:

Good Morning Fellas, i hope you had an amazing weekend with hours of fun and entertainment.
I've been playing for around 22 Hours now and I think I'm ready to give a little feedback.

But first of all: haemimont games, congratulations, this game is amazing and a true jagged alliance!
Kudos and thank you from my side. The new status effects are awesome and bring in a lot of new possibilities and i really really love sneaking and stealth combat.

As with all games, some QoL Features would be nice and in my opionion some tweaks would be nice.

Inventory:

Sort 2-Slot Weapons on top, then followed by guns, ammunition, knifes, tools and the rest.

2. Make the inventory icons smaller. And display more information.
The scrolling is annoying, unfortunately. 

3. Don't split Squad Supplies when you switch mercs to another squad. Or just give the new Squad ammunition for the weapons the merc carries.
I ran out of 7.62 Nato ammunition during combat because i realized too late that my supply got split (early game).

4. Give us a "take all ammo" shortcut. "Take All" is not what I mostly want, I simply want to stack all ammunition.

Combat:
5. Please make it so that you can only shoot when you click on the body part, e.g. head, arms, torso.
I can't count how many times i accidentally shot the ground or an obstacle because I misclicked - i wanted to cancel the action and instead clicked somewhere in the screen - to see my merc is shooting instead of cancelling the action.
Yes, this is a minor requestt but i annoyed the shit of me in the first few hours.

6. Bring in an item like "stones" or "empty bottles" which can be thrown like a grenade to distract enemies.
If you want to stealth a sector you sometimes end up with two enemies standing close to each other and even though you sneak close to them (often triggering conversation and then movement) they would stand close to each other, making it more or less impossible to kill them stealthy.

Other:
7. Bring in more items required for crafting. Parts, Lenses and Pipes is a little too less of items. You'll find yourself flooded with those during midgame, not knowing what to do with them anymore.

@Community:
What are thoughts?

Yes, necessary changes - please see JA3 patch needed - urgent

Also..

Allow actions on weapons that are in sector inventory ( you cannot modify and reload if not in merc inv)

Allow mercs to craft ammo if gunpowder is in sector stash, and change that the fee for operations gets charged when you finalize and click start not right away.

You dont see sector stash if you go to inventory when not in sattelite view.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chr_isso said:

nice, didn't see that topic. my bad!

Not really. Yours are perfectly listed and thought through minor QoL items based on your 22h+ playtime. His spamming ass is listing stuff that's based on 'OMG, THIS IS NOT JA2 1.13!'. So not the same, not the same at all. I hope the devs won't bend to the will of the loudest minority. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bearson said:

Another thing:

When all mercs in a squad are selected, the one with the highest stat for an action (lockpicking, disarming explosives etc) doesnt get picked automatically.

yeah, good point! it's always the closest one.
That's why i usually pick Livewire, send her across the hole map - she is so smart (Wisdom) that she finds all the stuff.
Barry defuses, someone else picks it up.

But it's laborious.

11 hours ago, Bearson said:

Also..

Allow actions on weapons that are in sector inventory ( you cannot modify and reload if not in merc inv)

Allow mercs to craft ammo if gunpowder is in sector stash, and change that the fee for operations gets charged when you finalize and click start not right away.

You dont see sector stash if you go to inventory when not in sattelite view.

You are able to load, unload, modify and so on in strategic sector inventory, aswell as in tactical (right click on item, or square on ps gamepad)

But yeah the inventory UI and management is not ready for release (I bet they did got into hurry)

Edited by barra

This is a small nitpick, but I'd like it if they added the letters from A to Z and numbers from 1 to 20 or however high it goes along the edges of the sat view map. So when I get intel for a sector H12 and I'm like "so where's H12?" I wouldn't have to scan the sectors with my mouse. It's not a big thing since you can see the sector designation just by highlighting it with the mouse cursor, but like I said: a nitpick.

I rather like the team supplies stash thing. At first I was carrying ammo on every merc before I realised that I don't actually have to, but it's great if your mercs don't have a ton of strength, seeing how there are no vests and such to store mags and ammo on the person (as far as I know of). I kind of just imagine it as if the mercs are carrying the ammo somewhere in their tacticool pouches. The game is not that hardcore in the first place in the equipment simulation so it's something I'm willing to let slide. I wouldn't be opposed to having it as a difficulty option though.

There seems to be no way to syncronise attacks in the exploration mode. I was trying to set-up a double kill with my sneaky sniper guys on a pair of guards, but there was no way to get the second shot off at the same time with the first one. Not even if you very quickly gave the orders to shoot, after the first guy shot, before the bullet had even hit the target. The game takes all controls away from your mouse clicks once you make that first shot and only gives it back after the enemies who see the enemy go down have reacted. I guess the following "surprise" state the enemies sometimes go into kind of lets you do that. But I don't know why a bunch of mercenaries, whose main job is to go out and shoot people, couldn't syncronise a takedown properly. Balance reasons I guess. Doesn't really annoy me too much, but I felt like mentioning it. Now I'm wondering if you can do that with a couple of knife wielding sneaky types...

Definetely like the idea where, if you have a bunch of mercs selected, the game would automatically pick the best person to do mechanical, explosives, wisdom etc. checks. It seems to always pick the closest person right now and not the best person.

Would love to be able to speed down the ridiculous movement speed of the mercs as well. It looks silly and doesn't flow well animation wise. It works in combat, because it's turn based and you get these fancy vaults and slides and what have you, making the pace a non issue. But during exploration I can't but keep staring at my mercs in silent disbelief as they sprint with the diarrhea burns in their pants. On one hand the speedy traversal around the maps is good when you're just running around and checking for secrets, but on the other I just want it changed. Not really a QoL thing though.

The general real time strategy controlling of your mercs outside of combat, when you find hazards, needs some love. Accidentally walking into the enemy because you've no time to react once you've sent your merc away and are focusing somewhere else on the map. Your guy mentions they see an enemy, mine or a certain save reload coming and happily continue sprinting, walking or sneaking into it with no care in the world, ending up alerting the entire map or gets blown to pieces because your slow ass old person reactions can't APM the merc away from the danger in time or you otherwise fumble it in the panic that ensues.

Would love a clear indication while you set-up an overwatch where it shows you an icon or something once your overwatch cone goes beyond the effective range of the weapon. You know that blinking reticule symbol and bar when you're taking aim at somebody that tells you if your gun is getting a range penalty? Unless you can't pull the overwatch cone beyond the effective range of the weapon to begin with.

Enemies could have their psychic powers taken out. Once you engage somebody, even while in stealth without getting revealed, most of the time the enemies don't scatter to search for the threat. They beeline towards where your mercenary is hiding even if they should have zero idea where you currently are. It is possible to stay out of their sights and remain hidden, but my issue lies in how they seemingly always know where the aggressor is located even if they can't target you and only deviate from the direct route to you if the AI is currently bugging out with something weird such as one of them being constantly surprised from seeing a dead body. This seems to force the AI to run to the surprised enemy and never leave his side for as long as the glitch loop of the AI keeps happening.

Just some of the things that popped in my mind after reading this thread. I've plenty more, but kind of need to fire up the game and play for a bit to jog my memory about all the things that I'd like to see touched upon. I'm still having tons of fun with the game. I'm nitpicky critical about it because this is a really good game that could become absolutely amazing with a little bit of shoe polish and changes.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 11:18 PM, chr_isso said:

Omfg please please please 😭 this is driving me bonkers

On 7/17/2023 at 12:12 AM, Bearson said:

Also..

YES

Sector stash should act like merc inventory for repair ops etc!!

Agree with most from above. It is a great and true JA. Further more my time with JA2 is over then as I can not image to fall back there. Some details should be fixed/made better and they are already mentioned above, so that so to avoid repetition I will refrain from addressing it again. JA3 is JA. The atmosphere is also increasing, I like the squeaking of the mercs a lot meanwhile. Unfortunately, the "Major" is not a Deidranna who has always maltreated her Elliot so beautifully. One hated Deidranna after 5 minutes, while the "Major" so far is not really of interest.

In any case, however, a fully comprehensive JA, probably the best even, which I personally give 90 points, which may increase to 99 points if the one or other recommended fix is done. And no, I had not a single crash with this game yet. Bravo!!!

54 minutes ago, Warmonger said:

Agree with most from above. It is a great and true JA. Further more my time with JA2 is over then as I can not image to fall back there. Some details should be fixed/made better and they are already mentioned above, so that so to avoid repetition I will refrain from addressing it again. JA3 is JA. The atmosphere is also increasing, I like the squeaking of the mercs a lot meanwhile. Unfortunately, the "Major" is not a Deidranna who has always maltreated her Elliot so beautifully. One hated Deidranna after 5 minutes, while the "Major" so far is not really of interest.

In any case, however, a fully comprehensive JA, probably the best even, which I personally give 90 points, which may increase to 99 points if the one or other recommended fix is done. And no, I had not a single crash with this game yet. Bravo!!!

Major is actually very good. I don’t want to spoil anything but I 100% love what they did with this dude. Once the identity is revealed any true fan of Jagged Alliance series should be super happy. It is clear it’s been done by fans or people who knew the series really well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tzg said:

Major is actually very good. I don’t want to spoil anything but I 100% love what they did with this dude. Once the identity is revealed any true fan of Jagged Alliance series should be super happy. It is clear it’s been done by fans or people who knew the series really well. 

Have not yet seen much of this Major yet. Only one chat with somebody who seems to work for him. But himself have not seen yet.

But anyway this JA3 is JA now, no chance to fall back. Issues, bugs, some balances will be fixed soon for sure. And of course with this base JA3 now we will squeals add-ons and so on. A big big future of this Jagged Alliance I see.

• Like 1