Disarming mines should not be done through manual operation by the players.

qianye

Just now, sandman25dcsss said:

I see. Bad design in both games. I hate slow travel which requires me to carefully study surrounding every second to avoid stepping into just discovered mine, it is not fun. I think I will decrease mine damage to zero when mod tools become available.

Barry literally stops walking when he spots a mine. I dunno what problem is. Bug maybe?

2 minutes ago, Skaldy said:

Barry literally stops walking when he spots a mine. I dunno what problem is. Bug maybe?

I did some tests a few days ago and he happily walks into mine.

PS. I am not going to check every second if Barry stopped. I click destination until my team arrives there.

Edited by sandman25dcsss

1 minute ago, Skaldy said:

might be a bug. on that minefield i click from one side to another, he stops near a mine when he spots it.

See my updated post above. I click empty space several times because my team is stuck often, stopping does not help if team goes right into mine with my next click on empty space.

Edited by sandman25dcsss

I don't see how the current system of mines being detected and being disarmed with one click by an explosives expert like Barry is bad game design or takes too long @sandman25dcsss. The beach infront of DeeDee can be cleared within a few minutes, not time-consuming at all. It couldn't be any easier. 😆

For me Barry also never steps on a mine when he detects one just like @Skaldy mentioned.

See my updated post above. I click empty space several times because my team is stuck often.

then dont do it near minefields? most fields are marked with signs? I dont know what you want, AI is bad as it is, you want better pathing for AI i guess?

Edited by Skaldy

4 minutes ago, J1v1n said:

I don't see how the current system of mines being detected and being disarmed with one click by an explosives expert like Barry is bad game design or takes too long @sandman25dcsss. The beach infront of DeeDee can be cleared within a few minutes, not time-consuming at all. It couldn't be any easier. 😆

For me Barry also never steps on a mine when he detects one just like @Skaldy mentioned.

If I was a game designer, I would provide option to automatically disarm all discovered mines. For those players who dislike pixel hunting, being interrupted every second, spending time on "did anything change from last second" checks.

Edited by sandman25dcsss

Just now, J1v1n said:

same here. Barry, Nails and Red - tried with all 3 and they always stop when mine is detected. 

1 minute ago, sandman25dcsss said:

I was trying to discover more mines for disarming, it is done by walking to new position.

Get your explosive dude into crouch/hidden position (careful walk) and run him through the minefield - he will stop at any mine discovered you can defuse it and keep going. If you run through minefield... well - running on minefields isn't advised. 

Just now, Tzg said:

Get your explosive dude into crouch/hidden position (careful walk) and run him through the minefield - he will stop at any mine discovered you can defuse it and keep going. If you run through minefield... well - running on minefields isn't advised. 

Thank you for the advice, but it means I will spend even more time to disarm all mines because I would need to wait for merc(s) to stop walking before giving another command. It is not that different from "check surrounding every second" which I hate, except I check my mercs movement also.

Thank you for the advice, but it means I will spend even more time to disarm all mines because I would need to wait for merc(s) to stop walking before giving another command. It is not that different from "check surrounding every second" which I hate, except I check my mercs movement also.

Then dont do it. Its not required. 

I want the parts from disarming mines 😞

You know what's the answer right? Then you do it. From my point of view this is done exactly as it supposed to be done. 

2 minutes ago, sandman25dcsss said:

Yes, I understand different players have different preferences.

Yup. I just used to it.

anyone who tried to escape from deathclaw in Fallout 1 can take anything 🤣

Edited by Tzg

1 hour ago, sandman25dcsss said:

I didn't play it, but I read that discovered mines had a blue flag and mercs would avoid stepping on them. Is it not true and JA2 had bad design too?

Yes, that is correct. In JA2, discovered landmines were marked with a blue flag and mercs would not step on them. It was good game design because it transferred in-game knowledge earned by one merc (you still needed an explosives expert to discover the mine) to other mercs. Similar to how one merc seeing an enemy would mean all other mercs could at least aim at that enemy.

I don't really like comparing two games that have no shared development history only because they use the same name. But comparing how certain problems were solved is fair, and I think the JA2 way of handling discovered landmines is better.

4 minutes ago, D13 said:

Yes, that is correct. In JA2, discovered landmines were marked with a blue flag and mercs would not step on them. It was good game design because it transferred in-game knowledge earned by one merc (you still needed an explosives expert to discover the mine) to other mercs. Similar to how one merc seeing an enemy would mean all other mercs could at least aim at that enemy.

I don't really like comparing two games that have no shared development history only because they use the same name. But comparing how certain problems were solved is fair, and I think the JA2 way of handling discovered landmines is better.

Thank you for confirmation!

Maybe I got lost along the way but what exactly is it that takes for you too long regarding mines @sandman25dcsss?

So, what I do when I see a minefield: nobody enters the minefield except for my explosives expert, who walks through the minefield in crouched mode to discover all the mines. Then each of them gets disarmed with one click, so I get all the parts. Then everybody can run around happy without their feet getting blown off. All in all this takes not even three minutes on the Ernie Island minefield.

It should be common sense to neither sprint across a minefield (not even with an explosives expert) nor let unexperienced mercenaries (no high explosives attribute) walk across a minefield that has not yet been investigated by a professional at all. I hope you don't do that and expect to come out alive and healthy. 😁

1 hour ago, J1v1n said:

Maybe I got lost along the way but what exactly is it that takes for you too long regarding mines @sandman25dcsss?

So, what I do when I see a minefield: nobody enters the minefield except for my explosives expert, who walks through the minefield in crouched mode to discover all the mines. Then each of them gets disarmed with one click, so I get all the parts. Then everybody can run around happy without their feet getting blown off. All in all this takes not even three minutes on the Ernie Island minefield.

It should be common sense to neither sprint across a minefield (not even with an explosives expert) nor let unexperienced mercenaries (no high explosives attribute) walk across a minefield that has not yet been investigated by a professional at all. I hope you don't do that and expect to come out alive and healthy. 😁

3 minutes of unfun activities on one map is enough reason for both me and OP I think.

3 hours ago, Tzg said:

awesome. Lets automate: 

- mine clering

- fights

- shooting

- scouting

- interaction with npc's

- travel 

- inventory management

Actually - maybe yous be better off watching someone else playing on youtube?  

all of those are automated in game.

-mine clearing- there is no mini game to defuse a mine

-fight- you click someone automatically delivers damage or misses

-shooting- you are neither aiming nor pulling the trigger, it is done automatically by your mercs

-scouting- it is a SAT OP results in scripted events

-Interactions with NPCs, mercs automatically decide what they want to say

-inventory management- Mercs automatically pick up items and put them in suitable slots

0/10, very cheap baiting attempt.

Edited by Skaldy
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Skaldy said:

all of those are automated in game.

-mine clearing- there is no mini game to defuse a mine

-fight- you click someone automatically delivers damage or misses

-shooting- you are neither aiming nor pulling the trigger, it is done automatically by your mercs

-scouting- it is a SAT OP results in scripted events

-Interactions with NPCs, mercs automatically decide what they want to say

-inventory management- Mercs automatically pick up items and put them in suitable slots

0/10, very cheap baiting attempt.

oh kiddo. You don't even understand what automation mean in video game context.