My Thoughts on Beta Footage So Far

anon474

You know what, they should put a new merc on the roster : Negative "Nancy" Lunokhod

Spotted another clown

Me hacking that shit, they don't even have one decent coder

The clowns have not spotted me, of couse the AI is blind

Medicinal herbs, my ass, can I at least get high, wanna forget that shitty game

What firing on that barrel? Come on, the clowns won't even notice

Got company, hope there are a couple of THQ suits to shoot

Waited 25 years for that gig, and it's a gag

They should have called it Failure on Tropico Island

Weapon Jammed! Of course programmed by Haemimont

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

9 hours ago, anon474 said:

It seems like in JA3 there's an emphasis on abilities vs items and stats, and I think this is a bad decision because it makes everything seem unrealistic, and moves us away from serious strategy, to more of a domain of "well as long as you have the right ability, it really doesn't matter what your stats are".

I've been saying same since perks were presented. We need a name for the "skills over stats" concept. How to call this approach?

If we think about this, we'll find out that almost everything is derivated from this concept. Combat, operations, interruption system, ammo types, inventory, weight, offense, defense, scouting, training, stealth, melee, crafting. Everything is related to skill system.

JA2 has 14 skills, JA2 1.13 has ~150 mercs' backgrounds and ~40 skills.. NONE of them emphasizes ACTIONS merc can do, only their STATS.

JA3 skills give you free movements, free knives, two granade throws, more AP when affected by negative things, flying uppercut unarmed attacks (erm xD), etc.

• Like 2

@Ivan Dolvich: You summarize very well what I mentioned here very often. First and foremost JA3 has to be serious. The tone should be dark and brutal. The people die and suffer in this war. The unique formula of JA was always the small subtle humour between this overall brutal world. But this special humour has to feel right and the writing has to be clever. Simple goofy one liners do not work here. So I still hope the tone and writing will get an upgrade here and there so that you can take the JA3 world/characters serious and that you do not get the colorful Far Cry atmosphere all the time.

• Like 2

Just putting my own thoughts in here altough they already been writen by others, but I have 3 things that really bothers me from what I have currently seen of the game. Again just my personal take and preferences of things.

From the 10+ hours of the beta gameplay I have seen from different YouTubers, my overall impression of the game is "Far Cry 3/4 Tactics". Personally wish they had gone for the style of Far Cry 2 instead if that was their intention. I think the characters at their core/base concepts are overall good, but taken much to far with the silly/quirky parts and style (I mean come on, Grizzly sounds just like Hurk!).

The combat seemed to strongly favor sniper rifles going for headshots as the very most viable option whitout any downside to it. Again maybe we haven't seen enough of the game yet and that changes. But if it does not change (to me) combat will be a drag. Wish the enemies had shown less suicidal tendencies and tried to keep out of your snipers LOS or limit it with smoke grenades for flanking maneuvers, maybe call in a mortar strike on your snipers position if they stay in place to long.

The reactions or rather lack of reactions (falling down etc.) from gunshots and explosives makes the game look very arcadey, to me close to Wasteland 3.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hendrix said:

Just putting my own thoughts in here altough they already been writen by others, but I have 3 things that really bothers me from what I have currently seen of the game. Again just my personal take and preferences of things.

From the 10+ hours of the beta gameplay I have seen from different YouTubers, my overall impression of the game is "Far Cry 3/4 Tactics". Personally wish they had gone for the style of Far Cry 2 instead if that was their intention. I think the characters at their core/base concepts are overall good, but taken much to far with the silly/quirky parts and style (I mean come on, Grizzly sounds just like Hurk!).

The combat seemed to strongly favor sniper rifles going for headshots as the very most viable option whitout any downside to it. Again maybe we haven't seen enough of the game yet and that changes. But if it does not change (to me) combat will be a drag. Wish the enemies had shown less suicidal tendencies and tried to keep out of your snipers LOS or limit it with smoke grenades for flanking maneuvers, maybe call in a mortar strike on your snipers position if they stay in place to long.

The reactions or rather lack of reactions (falling down etc.) from gunshots and explosives makes the game look very arcadey, to me close to Wasteland 3.

Even in JA2, Snipers were overpowered. But it took quite some time to get a Dragunov or M24.
Then you had your Assault Rifles like M14 early on, and fitted with a scope or laser it was pure gold.

But that's how it should be, no?
I'd rather see the NPCs use better tactics as you said, like smoke to cover their movement, flanking you and so on.
Or even: Make them be so many, they overwhelm you. and be smart.

But programming a smart KI is hard, so I really hope they get this a little going for us.

An Sniper Shot could easily be balanced by taking all of your AP. you cant move or do anything because aiming takes time and you really need to think if an sniper is worth it, if you only get 1 shot and nothing else per round.

everything resolves around balancing...

Regarding the animations: Yep, i also hope they will implement some more, especially on the explosions. but that we will see in the future.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chr_isso said:

An Sniper Shot could easily be balanced by taking all of your AP. you cant move or do anything because aiming takes time and you really need to think if an sniper is worth it, if you only get 1 shot and nothing else per round.

Yes, I also think that making headshots with a sniper rifle should be a high-risk-high-reward kind of thing, from what I have seen headshots looked way to easy to make with sniper rifles even at long ranges.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WolverineX23 said:

looked like a 90's woman...in ja3 she looks like she walked out of the 50's

What? Is it a joke? What u mean "looked like a 90's woman"? U only saw her face. Yes, I agree that in JA3 she has a different face, but why "out of the 50's"? Ure a very strange guy u know.

Its not about time. She is just badly drawn. Awful. She must be like ex-cop woman "with balls". Something like Sonya Blade of Jagged Alliance. JA:online image much better. She looks sucks here, thats why u think she walked out of 50's. Thats what u try to say.

34f25b950064a0d84f192fb973c21f62094039c4.jpg