Several squads @ refugee camp possible

klasperstanze

That is so unfair ...?!
Any other conflict area I can enter with several squads at the same time. They wait for each other, only then the combat starts.

Not so in Refugee camp, when .... SPOILER ALERT..... the shit hits the fan. One squad sprints off, so that ALWAYS only one reaches the sector, being in convlict, cannot retreat (even when approaching by boat??!). How am I supposed to tackle that epic fight with only 6 mercs ...? 

Edited by klasperstanze

You have the high ground, a decent amount of cover. I positioned most of my mercs next to the various enemies where you talk to the Colonel and one by the tents in front of the high ground. You start the fight right next to the enemies so you can get some extra shots/overwatches in from spending less AP on aiming. Bring grenades or maybe an MG. This fight is all about relieving the initial pressure as fast as possible so you can get some breathing room before the bombardment starts.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 12:46 PM, Povok said:

Take out a couple of nearest enemies then use smoke/tear/mustard gas grenades to provide cover.

They all got gasmasks like Resident Evil Hunk style but the easiest way to take them out is set a overwatch ambush on them before you talk to the Colonel with 1 of your mercs, cause after the convo the fire fight stars right away.

The Refugee Camp, Chalet de la Paix, and to a lesser extent the Mansion are all just really unhealthy for the game.  I get that the devs wanted to put some narrative stuff in there, but in these cases they've removed the strategy element of the game and replaced it with savescum-style metagaming because you need to know that these scripted battles will occur and position your squad and plan accordingly.  It's no fault of the player that they find themselves in these scenarios since the game doesn't give you much of a choice and frankly these battles are not interesting, fun, or challenging once you know how they work.

1 hour ago, mrflagio said:

The Refugee Camp, Chalet de la Paix, and to a lesser extent the Mansion are all just really unhealthy for the game.  I get that the devs wanted to put some narrative stuff in there, but in these cases they've removed the strategy element of the game and replaced it with savescum-style metagaming because you need to know that these scripted battles will occur and position your squad and plan accordingly.  It's no fault of the player that they find themselves in these scenarios since the game doesn't give you much of a choice and frankly these battles are not interesting, fun, or challenging once you know how they work.

I too take issue with these events, even though I think they're not badly designed if considered  individually, but that they clash with the overarching JA3 narration style. I make that distinction because with the proper setup, they can all be beaten, and even on the first try. But if you don't know when they're going to occur, you have to approach every conversation, every sector, and every step inside a sector with a tactical formation, with every merc positioned in tactically advantageous locations, always ready for battle as if entering a hostile sector.  Which would be fine in a game that greatly values realism - after all, in JA3's setting, extreme caution at all times would be quite appropriate. But JA3 is not that type of game, and prior to the first scripted attack event, it teaches the player that it wants to be light-hearted and forgiving, not ultra realistic.