How and where to preorder?

Steeletto

I am so incredibly old that I played the first Jagged Alliance on an Amiga 1200, in 1995 - And have followed the series ever since.

JA2 took way too long to be released in english in my home country, so I contacted the german distributor and asked how to order the german version.
A week later I recieved a thick package in the mail, with a german version in a box, free of charge!
I think I learned more german from a year with that game than I did at school. 8-)

Now to JA3!
Where do I preorder it for Steam?
I have not been able to find a link anywhere - But that could be because I am so bloody old, of course!
All and any help appreciated.

Steeletto, retired old geezer.

Hi @Steeletto, where are you from? As far as I know, if you are definitely going to be buying the Steam version and won't be having a physical copy of the game, you shouldn't need to pre-order JA3. Upon release date, you can buy it then. It isn't as if Steam will run out of digital copies (and license keys) to sell.

However, I may be wrong and someone more informed can enlighten both you and I. I have never looked to see if you can pre-order something on Steam (unlike with physical versions in the past) because I have always bought games after release date and there have always been enough to go around.

Regards.

Thank you Solaris.

My reasoning behind wanting to preorder is that I read somewhere that it will "open" the game a few days earlier.
I might be wrong there though...

As for my location, I am in Sweden. (Very few polar bears in my garden at this time of the year!)

Can anyone confirm or reject the "a few days early" thingie?

4 minutes ago, Solaris_Wave said:

It isn't as if Steam will run out of digital copies (and license keys) to sell.

This right here. Never understood why people pre order nowadays. I always wait till trusted reviewers get their hands on it and see what they say and watch a bunch of gameplay footage. 

1 minute ago, Steeletto said:

Thank you Solaris.

My reasoning behind wanting to preorder is that I read somewhere that it will "open" the game a few days earlier.
I might be wrong there though...

As for my location, I am in Sweden. (Very few polar bears in my garden at this time of the year!)

Can anyone confirm or reject the "a few days early" thingie?

I haven't heard about getting access early to the game if people pre order.

There are a couple of members here who are from Sweden but I would think that they are getting the same availability as the rest of us. I don't know much about any early release. Usually, the release date is exactly that. However, I did get physical versions of console games early in the past when I pre-ordered them. I think this was done so if you ordered a game to be posted to you, you would get it in time for the release date when everyone else goes to the high street shop to buy it. It wouldn't be fair to have to wait until release day for the online games store to then ship it, as you would get it later than everyone else (and defeat the value of having it home delivered).

With digital downloads being so common now, it doesn't really matter. However, you might have seen situations where you can buy a game before release date and then the download is automatically scheduled for that date. I think that is more for the console marketplaces though.

You might also be confusing release dates with games that say Early Access. Those are just games that have ongoing development before a v1.0 release.

Edited by Solaris_Wave

Thank you Doug and Solaris.

Anyone else has any info on the "a few days early"?
I am certain I read about it somewhere, and that is my only reason for wanting to preorder/prepurchase.
Again, I might be wrong...I seem to recall that I was wrong once before, early spring 1874...

Sometimes you could play games like Tomb Raider etc. a day before release, because it was Single Player and was shipped by Amazon the day prior to release.
But that is hardly the case anymore since mostly you will have a huge day 1 patch that will only be available upon launch.

4 hours ago, Steeletto said:

Anyone else has any info on the "a few days early"?

If there is a pre-order option it has to have some kind of bonus, otherwise there's 0 reason for anyone to pre-order.

Early access is done by a lot of games. I don't think it will be the case with JA3. They should give pre-order option, but maybe choose a different bonus. Maybe a cosmetic skin... Tactical outfit for Tex, anyone?

50 minutes ago, SWi74 said:

Tactical outfit for Tex, anyone?

Actually would be better to get normal soldier/tactical skins in original game and all this clown skins as DLC. This is what usually happens in videogames.

Edited by Lunokhod
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lunokhod said:

Actually would be better to get normal soldier/tactical skins in original game and all this clown skins as DLC. This is what usually happens in videogames.

I saw them implement a new armor system on Kalyna, because it was clipping through on the beta versions, so maybe they did decide to go for a visual armor system. But it seemed very basic, I wouldn't say very good either.

I just think add a model to all the basic mercs that don't have a lot of tactical or armor gear on, and add a model that has them wearing something tactical, can be a vest, can be tactical equipment for carrying ammo magazines, etc.

Wouldn't pre-order this game if I were you (if there is any, since why would that be?)

Just wait until others bought and played it (and shelved it) and after a few weeks you can pick it up for a couple of bucks at the Wallmart or flee market.

That is usually what happens at spin-offs.
Would have been a different story had they instead decided to actually develop a successor to the classic franchise 😞