Are Shotguns "broken"? Any reason to 'aim' your shots?

GODSPEED

Ever since getting my hands on the M1014, it's been used every single battle.

Equipping it on a merc like Dr. Q, with huge agility means I can move up quickly to a group of enemies and shoot their hands/feet/groin and either move in to punch an enemy unconscious, some melee or move back into a good hidden position.

It's not the weapon that will get me that one 'headshot crit kill'.. but it reliably helps my squad in larger encounters, shooting hands means that every shot from those hit enemies will miss me (I've rarely shot enemy hands and then have one hit anything on its turn).

Somehow though, it feels broken. I've never once felt the need to "aim" with it, regardless what body part I shoot at, it simply seems to hit anything and everything within the "triangle".

Do you think this was intended? If so, what would be the purpose of aiming a shotgun?

I had similar experiences. I always had one "shotgun guy". Very handy with the "move after shooting" perk.

Personally I used a modded Auto-5, you can get the range almost to assault rifle levels, which is very hand.

And those 4 AP shots really do a number on enemies with all the effects 🙂

Edited by username55

17 minutes ago, GODSPEED said:

Ever since getting my hands on the M1014, it's been used every single battle.

Equipping it on a merc like Dr. Q, with huge agility means I can move up quickly to a group of enemies and shoot their hands/feet/groin and either move in to punch an enemy unconscious, some melee or move back into a good hidden position.

It's not the weapon that will get me that one 'headshot crit kill'.. but it reliably helps my squad in larger encounters, shooting hands means that every shot from those hit enemies will miss me (I've rarely shot enemy hands and then have one hit anything on its turn).

Somehow though, it feels broken. I've never once felt the need to "aim" with it, regardless what body part I shoot at, it simply seems to hit anything and everything within the "triangle".

Do you think this was intended? If so, what would be the purpose of aiming a shotgun?

I aim sabot shells with M1014. Head shots usually deliver enough damage and some more damage to chest due to spray+ any enemies behind the main target gets peppered

9 minutes ago, Skaldy said:

I aim sabot shells with M1014. Head shots usually deliver enough damage and some more damage to chest due to spray+ any enemies behind the main target gets peppered

The question is, what is the point of spending AP to aim though?

The triangle doesn't get smaller or wider. Everyone is hit regardless how much I aim or not. Does damage increase with aim levels?

18 minutes ago, GODSPEED said:

The triangle doesn't get smaller or wider. Everyone is hit regardless how much I aim or not. Does damage increase with aim levels?

Shotguns can actually hit their target, and that hit will follow all the normal rules for a hit being delivered, so with a +crit at aim over 3 one, you will crit and kill.

Matter of fact, with the right ammo it's pointless to bother with aiming for the limbs: shoot the guy you want gone, and let the ammo turn everyone else into cripples.

14 minutes ago, Jaywalker said:

Shotguns can actually hit their target

...which is what I am asking.

I've only "aimed" the shots the first few times.. then realized that not aiming more (spedning more AP/Aim-clicks) doesn't seem to make a difference.

My question is..

What's the point in spending AP to aim your shot more?

Why would I spend 8 AP on a shot instead of 5? It hits everything and anything within the triagle, regardless how many aim-clicks.

Aiming can be beneficial if you engage targets at mid range (10 to 20), in bad weather or you are doing a burst and do not have any of the burst perks. You certainly do not want to do it all the time but it has it uses.

Now, if you only use your shotgun in close combat, you will never need to aim at all.

Like all combat matters in JA3 it really comes down to your playstyle.

7 minutes ago, GODSPEED said:

...which is what I am asking.

I've only "aimed" the shots the first few times.. then realized that not aiming more (spedning more AP/Aim-clicks) doesn't seem to make a difference.

My question is..

What's the point in spending AP to aim your shot more?

Why would I spend 8 AP on a shot instead of 5? It hits everything and anything within the triagle, regardless how many aim-clicks.

Because shotguns have their base damage and their spray damage.  If you miss the main shot you will always hit with the spray.  If you hit your main shot it does a lot of damage.  That's why shotguns say something like 36+15 for their damage numbers.  The first one is the main shot and second is the spray.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GODSPEED said:

The question is, what is the point of spending AP to aim though?

my shotgun abuser merc(Barry atm) sometimes misses point blank shots. So i sink few AP to aim to not reload my save game.