Percentages on reticles (please let them at least be a toggled option!)

asgelb

12 minutes ago, sandman25dcsss said:

You are close to realizing why there was a poll thread about roleplaying/strategy/tactics created yesterday. Unfortunately the poll shows JA fans have no idea what they are doing. They make decisions based on roleplaying and call it tactics. 

You are aware that tactics are highly dependent on information available? Meaning you adjust your tactics to your situation. In real life as in games, what you seek out to do might not work, so you have to change tactics. A shot might hit, it might not. There might be wind, you might miscalculate that wind. You fail to calculate distance. You fail to breath correctly when pulling the trigger.

This is fucking hilarious to be honest. "I DONT KNOW IF MY SHOT HITS SO ITS ROLEPLAYING AND NOT TACTICS"

Like I said, if you want a math game. Go play chess.

It's fascinating to see somebody gatekeeping how people play a game. A game they don't even play themselves lol.

Edited by ninjalex

6 minutes ago, ninjalex said:

You are aware that tactics are highly dependent on information available? Meaning you adjust your tactics to your situation. In real life as in games, what you seek out to do might not work, so you have to change tactics. A shot might hit, it might not. There might be wind, you might miscalculate that wind. You fail to calculate distance. You fail to breath correctly when pulling the trigger.

This is fucking hilarious to be honest. "I DONT KNOW IF MY SHOT HITS SO ITS ROLEPLAYING AND NOT TACTICS"

Like I said, if you want a math game. Go play chess.

You do not understand what this discussion is about. You had a choice between 2 options in the described situation and you are forced to select one based on roleplaying because by hiding CtH you don't have enough information to select the only correct answer. The answer depends on situation indeed, but you cannot differentiate the situations because of your own preferences. 

I subscribed to CtH mod along with other hundreds of players so yes, I am going to play my "chess" soon.

Edited by sandman25dcsss

1 minute ago, sandman25dcsss said:

You do not understand what this discussion is about. You had a choice between 2 options in the described situation and you are forced to select one based on roleplaying because by hiding CtH you don't have enough information to select the only correct answer. The answer depends on situation indeed, but you cannot differentiate the situations because of your own preferences. 

I subscribed to CtH mod along with other hundreds of players so yes, I am going to play my "chess" soon.

I totally understand. It's just you want something else than me and several others. Including what the developers have in mind for the game. They want a fog of war, they want uncertainty, they want a RNG-factor. They want you to have to make those trade-offs because you don't know for certain how your actions will play out. And you don't want to make those trade offs. You want zero risk, because you want full information about all actions. You want a math puzzle, not a tactical game. And that's fine, but calling it roleplaying is fucking lol.

• Like 1

Just now, ninjalex said:

I totally understand. It's just you want something else than me and several others. Including what the developers have in mind for the game. They want a fog of war, they want uncertainty, they want a RNG-factor. They want you to have to make those trade-offs because you don't know for certain how your actions will play out. And you don't want to make those trade offs. You want zero risk, because you want full information about all actions. You want a math puzzle, not a tactical game. And that's fine, but calling it roleplaying is fucking lol.

You still don't understand. Check the situation I described: 1 enemy, grenadiere merc and sniper merc, 99-100% CtH. You are talking about something else.

Just now, sandman25dcsss said:

You still don't understand. Check the situation I described: 1 enemy, grenadiere merc and sniper merc, 99-100% CtH. You are talking about something else.

And you are constantly saying you don't want to make a tradeoff because you NEED to know that it's going to work 100%

Your scenario is just whining about having to making a potentially sub-optimal choice because you don't have full information, and that is what I'm trying to explain to you IS a core tenet of tactical decisions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rugged Coalition said:

If there's a singular enemy that can be killed with one shot, why would you waste a grenade?

Who doesn't take a 99% shot?

Imagine it is timed mission, last turn and game is over with your defeat if you don't kill the enemy. Are you really unable to analyze theoretical situation?

I am out, thanks everyone.

Real life is messy, uncertain, complex, and you never know if the decisions you make are the best ones. 

This game series has always simulated this uncertainty. Lack of CtH is only one small, minor component of that. 

There is NEVER one correct "right" way to play any given situation in the game. And if you lose, you will NEVER know with certainty exactly what it is you did wrong. You will get better though, over time. This will be the case with or without one variable being shown.

Just like real life. 😘

You're not going to like this game. I mean, you said you would play the game if it was just differently colored silent blocks instead of fully voiced mercs. That's fine, but this game is not going to appeal to you, in that case. Leading a team of believable people is critical to enjoying the experience of *this* game, because it is a messy simulation of that experience. Unlike, for example, XCOM. If you need to learn the "one correct" way to play a given scenario, you're not going to like this game.

That is ok. There are different games for different people. Some of us like games with uncertainty, messiness, etc that attempt to simulate a real life experience. Some people do not. That is ok.

Just don't shit all over what others have played and enjoyed. Go play games you like!

• Thanks 1

@sandman25dcsss Haemimont has put a mod showing CtH on Steam Workshop. I won't use it, but of course anyone is free to use it.

They put the following disclaimer though :

Displays chance to hit on different body parts and the health bar of units.

Jagged Alliance 3 is a game meant to represent firefights in their entire chaotic and messy glory. Visible chance to hit is not the kind of core experience we had in mind while building and balancing the game.

For those that really want to try it - we've made it available in this mod.

Disclaimers
- The game is balanced around no visible CTH. You may experience dramatic difference in balance when using this mode.
- Having visible CTH will affect the pace at which you play each combat turn as analysis tends to focus on the numbers rather than the tactical situation on the map.
- The game tends to feel a lot more like a puzzle rather than a real firefight.
- The AI has been thought to consider players having less information and will not adapt to the change in visible CTH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1