Mod support is confirmed!

chr_isso

From the official JA Discord:

**Mod support coming soon after launch **

After Jagged Alliance 3 has launched, the developers will focus on giving the players the exciting opportunity to customize the game according to their preferences. Initially offering basic mod support, allowing players to modify weapon statistics, adjust difficulty levels, and even display the "chance to hit" percentage, the mod support for Jagged Alliance 3 will continue to expand and evolve post-launch. In due course, players will wield a powerful tool that empowers them to create and share their own campaigns, introduce new mercenaries, and explore possibilities beyond our current imagination! 

This really, really, really makes me happy and makes sure the platform/basis of the game will prolong maybe as long as JA2 did.

I'm really curious if we will be able to mod Skins as well, just in case we dislike the enemy player models.
I mean - the Steam Workshop offers a lot of opportunities for those kind of things.

But: let's wait for the Vanilla first and see where things go from official side, first!

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

1 minute ago, chr_isso said:

From the official JA Discord:

This really, really, really makes me happy and makes sure the platform/basis of the game will prolong maybe as long as JA2 did.

I'm really curious if we will be able to mod Skins as well, just in case we dislike the enemy player models.
I mean - the Steam Workshop offers a lot of opportunities for those kind of things.

But: let's wait for the Vanilla first and see where things go from official side, first!

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Mod support has been confirmed for months, just saying. I'm interested to see if modders can make a somewhat similar version of JA2 1.13 in JA3 at some point. Makes me wish I could mod stuff myself but I'm not smart enough. 😁

I knew modding capability would be in the game, as the developers confirmed it some time ago. I am glad that they thought about it as it would have been clear that people would want to mod JA3  just as much as they did with JA2.

Depending on what the main game is like, I will possibly want to mod the existing guns and tweak the numbers, if nothing else.

• Like 1

People already come up with some good ideas within their preview feedbacks. I'm pretty sure smaller mods will be available very soon after release of the game. Personally I don't like adding and testing lots of smaller mods like it's possible for the game project zombiod. I prefer to have on big mod adding more content and depth to a game. 1.13 for JA2 was a class act. Something similar needs lots of time. I'm really optimisitc developers took care of the past, request from the community and also merged it to the current way of game design and theit economical situation. Allowing community mods is really nice as it could make JA3 last for 25 years too.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, rwp said:

it could make JA3 last for 25 years too.

Yea, for 100 years... sure.

58 minutes ago, rwp said:

I'm really optimisitc developers took care of the past, request from the community

They dont care about anything. They threw u a bone, cos they know game sucks and they need something to give u. "Yes, our game sucks, but its moddable". Thats what I mean. Thats what happens in reality. Just look at the Ian Currie face expression. I have the same when i look at this last trailer.

iancurrie.png

1 hour ago, Lunokhod said:

They dont care about anything. They threw u a bone, cos they know game sucks and they need something to give u.

If you can do a better job, just do it! So far the game is not perfect but looks great. When was the last time you had a worthy contribution to video games industry?

1 hour ago, Lunokhod said:

Just look at the Ian Currie face expression. I have the same when i look at this last trailer.

Ian Currie had higher budgets for his games.

1 hour ago, Image Miroir said:

the game is not perfect but looks great

Oh come on. "Looks great". Yes, its better then "rage" and "flashback". But its very simple to beat this projects, cos this is just awful games. Try to beat Aliens Dark Descent. 40$!!! 2023, release date this summer like JA3. Just take a look at pre-order trailers from Tindalos Aliens(40$) and Haemimonts JA3(45$). Do you see the difference?

For someone who didn't liked JA2 Sci-Fi mode you often refer to an Alien game. A quite dark setting. For us consumers it's good to have some competition. Prices will be regulated by demand and turnovers quite quick.

18 hours ago, Lunokhod said:

This is how 40$ game must look in 2023.

You have categories among games, and as you know it's related to the budget you have. It's the same for any product.

No offense to anyone Jagged Alliance is more a low budget. It's also a niche market: turn based tactical games. All that to say you can't expect a game like Aliens.

More about aliens, you can't even compare Jagged Alliance to X-Com because the budgets of the later are so much bigger. X-Com 2 sold 500 000 copies! JA2 sold around 200 000 (and at that time it was a less competitive gaming environment); Jagged Alliance: Back in Action was around 100 000 copies sold.

Now, "to compare" Call of Duty Modern Warfare is selling around 30 millions copies. The thematic is close, but it's a FPS and people enjoy this style much more than turn based.

Conclusion, if you want Jagged Alliance to be at the level of Aliens, have the game published by Activision.

• Like 2

This is fantastic news. Mod support is never a bad thing. I absolutely love some of the things people have done for games like XCOM 2 or Civilization V. Moreover, it allows users to customize their experiences and adds significant play time to a game.

Cheers all-around!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I can't really see the added value of a COOP mode in a TBS game... 

Just wished they put all that effort and resources in a complete rework of the art style and make some decent Merc characters that actually resemble the original ones instead of having Scully looking like Harry from Dumb and Dumber.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lunokhod said:

So gay. 😄

Well in these LBHTIQABCDEFG+-#% times, everybody wants to be a little gay or at least different to get some attention they don't get from their parents 😄 

Edited by ShadowMagic

4 hours ago, ShadowMagic said:

I can't really see the added value of a COOP mode in a TBS game... 

Just wished they put all that effort and resources in a complete rework of the art style and make some decent Merc characters that actually resemble the original ones instead of having Scully looking like Harry from Dumb and Dumber.

Can you explain what your thought process is here? Do you think the developers said "We need to free up money for multiplayer, so we're going to design, model, and render bad designs instead of good ones"?

2 hours ago, Stuurminator said:

"We need to free up money for multiplayer, so we're going to design, model, and render bad designs instead of good ones"?

Sadly, a lot of the times it does:

• A co-op title needs to perform when the game is essentially being streamed to other players by the host, which means things need to be simplified in terms of logic and physics simulation.
  • Networking programmers are usually just doing that most of the time, which means a team member that needs to be paid and coordinated with that isn't contributing to another branch.
  • Much like the above, having co-op also requires having co-op oriented QA, which in turn takes more time and money that could've been put elsewhere.

So yeah, while not a 1:1 translation, having Co-op will somewhat diminish what the game can achieve for a solo player on the same budget/dev-time.

5 hours ago, Lunokhod said:

So gay. 😄

Solo player then? Shall I call you Master Bates?
Oh no, toxic PVP player, of course, that was so evident. You should go play in front of a mirror, you'll please your masochistic side and let us breathe a minute.

• Like 2