An introduction and a promise

• Developers
On 5/9/2022 at 7:54 PM, Wigen said:

@Haemimont_Boian I have two more questions (as long as the answer to them is not a secret): 🙂

1. How long have you been working on the game?

2. When creating Jagged Alliance 3, do you use your own engine or already ready engine?

Thanks for the questions! I think it will be more proper to cover them in a dev diary.

On 5/10/2022 at 6:38 PM, Carl said:

Hey Boian and Boyan,

so You guys played the first two parts extensively? That would be good news! I think the possibility for modding will be important. Personally I think that the content is more important than the looks. I also liked about JA2 that one could make own decisions about how to progress in the game. Some games lead the gamer through a story too tightly, I don't need that. The tactics and strategy should be the main part. The story in JA2 was as simple as it could be and it was perfect.

Jagged Alliance 1 was charming and very different for the other games back then - I think I finished it twice, but this was a long time ago and there were many failed attempts as well.

Jagged Alliance 2 is my favorite tactical game of this era! I've played it countless times over the years, although I liked the first half of the campaign better than the endgame/Meduna approach, so I didn't finish every run. We're both familiar with the changes introduced by the modders in 1.13 as well, although we prefer to play Straciatella these days.

Boyan is a veteran as well! Like me he played JA2 way more than JA1.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Dear Boian

JA was my first PC game beside "Ascendancy" and JA2 is one of my favourite of all time. I think one of the strenghts of both titles were the likeable merceneraries and their personal traits. Also what made them angry (cheap funerals and Pope quitts). Their interaction with each other and the reaction of their surrounding supplied the games with a charming atmosphere. You wanted to play it again with other merceneries. The spoken dialogues and description of weapons and items were a revolution in the first game, don't want to miss that in part 3. But i guess, you are working hard to implement this charme into JA 3. What i wanted to add is: To see how your weakest mercenaries become real heroes after having a rough time and a lot of fighting and training was great, hopefully you can achieve the same marvellous balancing. 

Best regards from Switzerland

Fabio

PS. Stephan Rothman needs to be spoken by a swiss again in the german version, it was hilarious :-D

• Like 2

On 5/18/2022 at 4:15 AM, Haemimont_Boian said:

Jagged Alliance 2 is my favorite tactical game of this era! I've played it countless times over the years, although I liked the first half of the campaign better than the endgame/Meduna approach, so I didn't finish every run. We're both familiar with the changes introduced by the modders in 1.13 as well, although we prefer to play Straciatella these days.

Oh boy oh boy... the amount of first halves I've played... if I could count those as "times played JA 2" I think I would at least have played JA2 about 20x more than even my other most played games like Baldur's Gate.

I also like the early game more. Sometimes, after having captured about 75% of towns or so, I get bogged down by my own micro-management. I have 12-18 mercs to manage and weapons to upgrade, vests to swap-out. Money seems to be flowing out of my account for half-a-dozen mercs who sit around doing... repairs? Training old towns?

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 11:06 AM, Haemimont_Boian said:

Not just yet - I am waiting for greenlight to get started with the dev diaries and am just as eager as you all.

Have you already been given the greenlight to publish Dev Diary? 😉😎

• Thanks 1

• Developers
On 5/26/2022 at 6:52 PM, Wigen said:

Have you already been given the greenlight to publish Dev Diary? 😉😎

Sorry, not yet. I am as willing to start the dev diaries as you all are, but we are waiting for go-ahead from the marketing team.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Haemimont_Boian said:

Sorry, not yet. I am as willing to start the dev diaries as you all are, but we are waiting for go-ahead from the marketing team.

It will certainly be a while longer before the first developer's diary appears.

It is a pity that you cannot publish new screenshots of the game instead for example. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2022 at 3:45 PM, Wigen said:

It is a pity that you cannot publish new screenshots of the game instead for example. 

Yes screenshots would be really cool!

I'm just really impatient to know what kind of combat system they will use, what kind of RPG mechanics we can expect amd finally some details about roster.

While I'm looking forward to seeing a few mercs I already know (will we get some that work for the enemy, like Mike did?), I'm especially anxious to know and start seeing some new mercs with UNIQUE personalities.

• Like 1

I do have a request that I feel could keep us interested here.

Would you guys be able to "eventually" release some of your unique mercenary profiles?

A picture of the merc with a description of his profile and what he/she is good at?

I know you guys are bound by legal and other type of rules that limit what you can share...

...but is there NOTHING that can be shared?

On 6/11/2022 at 8:20 PM, GODSPEED said:

Yes screenshots would be really cool!

Definitely. At least one new screen from the game would be very welcome by the fans, but as you know, it all depends on the publisher.

We are counting on the team from Haemimont Games, which will soon ask THQ Nordic to show what Jagged Alliance 3 looks like nine months from the announcement.

Edited by Wigen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One suggestions for developers would be to hire Linda Currie as a consultant. Linda Currie has been part of most of the games developed by Sir-Tech as she grew up with the company and got married to one of Sirotek's boyfriends. She is considered one of the first women in the gaming industry to become a leading Project Manager. She has hosted many Sir-Tech games. The last of them was Wizardy 8.

Wiki quote:

"The first Jagged Alliance game was developed by MadLab Software in Montreal. The following three games were developed by Sir-Tech Development, based in Ottawa, Ontario. The main designers of the Jagged Alliance games were Ian Currie, Shaun Lyng and Linda Currie."

In my opinion, employing people who created original graphics as consultants is a very good solution. Whatever the names mentioned above would give JA 3 at least a chance to hear more about her and attract new players. Perhaps it would even go further in the future. There is also the spirit of the Jagged Alliance, which was unfortunately missing from the clones. Therefore, THQ Nordic should hire at least one or more people from the previous design team, Sir-tech.

A suggestion to think about for @Haemimont_Boian and @Haemimont_Boyan

Edited by Wigen
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I had to register just to post this simple message: if you don't recreate it perfectly - you will fail JA2's legacy. To be a true successor you have to not lose even a bit of what makes JA2 special. Changing it won't really make it justice. Let's face it - if you can make that game better you are geniuses, but you won't make it better by taking from it, only by retaining EVERYTHING that it had and only then adding some more depth to it.

What I see in your teaser is atrocious. I hope you take to heart this comment from YouTube: "Would like to see a pure JA2 Remaster, with new textures maybe." You can't go wrong with that formula. All the lessons 1.13 brings are enough. Aim for that. I really can't see you missing the target if you stay true to JA2's depth and breadth. If you want to aim higher - it will only come after retaining every beautiful aspect of that game, every detail. By my measure that's high enough, and anything less than that will just be worse.

Thank you for reading our comments. I hope you won't abandon anything that makes JA2 "a piece of art", as someone commented on Steam. A sentiment I wholeheartedly agree with.

• Like 3

On 4/19/2022 at 12:05 PM, saintpumpkin said:

This, 1.13 features are for nerdy people, not for eveyone (like me for example)

Making a game for everyone - is making a game for no one in particular. Name a game that everyone likes that anyone loves to death.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 6:21 AM, trueman11 said:

Making a game for everyone - is making a game for no one in particular. Name a game that everyone likes that anyone loves to death.

I HATE to argue your point, because I would also like a JA2 Remaster (to some extent), but at the same time, I'm old enough to understand what is at stake (jobs, wages, future support from Publisher(s)) and am able to weigh my expectations accordingly.

I also strongly disagree with your above statement, again, I hate to disagree with it, because inside, I WANT to agree with it.

Take most Bethesda games, take the new Xcoms, Civilizations, Starcraft, Call of Duties, Battlefields, and in what I consider to be among one of the best RPG series, Mass Effect... those we're all made for the wider broader audience in mind. They weren't made for the more technical and niche audience that appreciates something like 1.13 or some really complex layers like grand strategy games (Hearts of Iron, Victoria, Europa Universalis) to name the popular ones.

Those popular games have some of the most die-hard fans that will play the games for as long as they breathe. Yet, they are made for no one in particular. You don't need to be a military buff, or an armchair general, or a master strategist to play something like Civilization. It is approachable by a VERY wide audience! Same goes for most games I've mentionned... just look at most games by Bethesda. As much as I like their unique world landscapes, usually the game is barebones basic and is filled with mostly generic stuff... yet, I'd be surprised to learn that Bethesda games aren't the ones that rack up the most combined hours of gameplay out of most games. Just look at how many versions of Skyrim that released, and the staggering amount of mods STILL being developed.

Those are games that although many gamers will play, they are also on many gamers favorite all-time lists.

Look, I love Jagged Alliance 2, it is by far one of my favorite games of all time; I would have trouble playing it without 1.13, simply because I've gotten used to mechanics slowly through 1.13 versions.

But to sincerely EXPECT Haemimont Games to recreate JA2 to perfection is unfair and would most likely mean the game would tank. Do you REALLY think we niche die-hard fans are enough in numbers to make Haemimont Games at least pay the bills, pay their employees? Give them raises? For a studio like them, maybe the difference between a game that tanks or a game that succeeds to a wider audience means the difference between it's survival... or at the very least the scope of their next project. 

Also keep in mind, Haemimont Games are dealing with a publisher, so they don't have 100% control over everything, they have expectations to fulfil and probably if expectations are failed, it has deeper long-term consequences.

On another note, it is also extremely unfair to ask a studio such as Haemimont Games to simply want to "copy" an old game. Imagine having a bunch of employees eager to work on a project, but then we tell them they have to simply copy as faithfully as possible (or remaster) an old game, one they've never had a hand in creating either?

As much as I want a modern Remaster of JA2 with 1.13 and all the guns in the world... I do want a fresh game, with the layers, humours and complexities of the original JA2, but with new mercs, a new story, new locations. New easter eggs to discover.

That said, I get where you are coming from; for JA3 to standout, to feel unique, new and fresh... to pay homage to its roots, it must keep certain aspects intact! That, you are 120% on point!

Humour, unique mercs, basic one-liners and comments on actions, or reactions... give these mercs more than a picture and generic words. Multi-layered strategy, I wouldn't want a dumbed-down version of JA2, "simple" enough for newcommers not to throw the game away within the first 10 minutes, but with complex enough options for us fans. There is so much I also want... but until we get updates, kind of hard to set expectations.

Edited by GODSPEED
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Developers
On 8/5/2022 at 2:26 PM, Wigen said:

@Haemimont_Boian if Jagged Alliance 3 is successful, will you be thinking about contnuing this series as in the case Tropico?

Of course! After pouring our collective heart and soul in the development for several years, I doubt there would be a single person on the team that wouldn't want to continue working on the series in some capacity. Of course, it is not only up to us, but if Jagged Alliance 3 is well liked we would jump at the opportunity!

• Like 4

The problems is that developers dont give really new or enough Infos/Updates. Jagged Alliance Fans earned a more detailed information, after 2 min Trailer 2021 and after almost 1 Year of waiting and then a 3 min Trailer.its not saying, if characters have voice Output in combat Screen and in general, Jagged Alliance without voice is no Jagged Alliance Game! Also a number how many mercs would be available in total approximately would be nice. And also if we can CREATE our own Merc like in JA2 was, whit the Quiz and so more^^. I hope the overmap at 02:29 doesnt show the complete map but only a part of it!

Or if the Weapons get infinite Ammunition how in X-Com, they are not Ammo Clips magazines showed in the Second Trailer. Or Militias training. Also intermedia Sequences during the Game existing, how in JA 2 ?  Why the  Flashbang have 3 charges how in Back in Action for example, if the producers want take idol of original JA 1 & 2 ? They are too much questions open and unanswered...

When will you go into the Players Questions, or when will we getting more informations ?

Thanks!

• Developers
14 hours ago, Morcar said:

When will you go into the Players Questions, or when will we getting more informations ?

Thanks!

While I can't wait to answer all your questions, we are still waiting for green light from THQ marketing and really can't talk about anything specific before we have permission. My personal expectation is that specific information will be coming soon, but I have been wrong before 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1