An introduction and a promise

• Developers

Hello, everyone!

My name is Boian Spasov and I am one of the two Boians leading the efforts of the Jagged Alliance 3 design team. Allow me to introduce ourselves, as we're excited to start sharing a little more about what's happening on JA3's development..

First off - the introductions! It is unusual for a game to have two design leads, but I and my colleague Boyan Ivanov have been working in tandem like this for more than 15 years now here at Haemimont Games. Yes, we do spell our first names differently, only reason being we want to confuse people and sow chaos in an otherwise orderly world.

We both love strategy and tactical games and created together our fair share of them (Tropico 3-5, Omerta, Surviving Mars), but Jagged Alliance 3 is our most ambitious project yet. Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 both hold a special place in our hearts and like many other fans we've dreamed for a true sequel for many years. Turns out that fate decided to grant us the monumental task to craft that sequel, something that makes me giddy with joy even now, years after it has been decided.

Now to address the elephant in the room - why has the dev team been quiet since the game announcement back in September last year? We understand how this can be frustrating for the community, but the simple reason is that the game is in a rapid iteration development stage that prompted us to look more inwards than outwards. With some core mechanics still being refined it felt too early to talk about specifics publicly. We knew things were going to be constantly changing, and having to discuss a moving target could provide even more frustration. Finally, there are many things that we are simply not at liberty to discuss yet.

Still we appreciate your patience and passion, and we feel that some elements of the game are starting to settle enough that we’ll start sharing a little more in the near future. The game is slowly becoming more solidified and it will not be too long until we publish the first DevDiary. From this point on, you can expect to hear more from both me, Boyan and the other team members.

In the meantime, rest assured that we are reading your discussions, hopes and expectations both here and on other venues (Discord, Steam Forums, Facebook, etc.), so please continue sharing them! They may very well set the theme for our first DevDiaries, not to mention there is time for them to change the game yet!

See you in JA3!

Boian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9

It's nice to see the creators addressing us, even if it's just an introduction. I fully understand that communication with fans may not be perfect while the goals and mechanics keep changing. Welcome on board!🙂

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Haemimont_Boian said:

Hello, everyone!

My name is Boian Spasov

Well, hello Boian! We'll try to not tear you to shreds in happiness here; I promise I'll try my best anyways...
... wait, I think we've compiled a 500-page book of needs, wants, features and luxuries we want. It'll be easier that way than repeating everything here, right?

Just kidding. Seriously, as much as I want MY version of JA3, I expect to see seomthing YOU are proud of working on.

I am extremely anxious (but patient) to see what you guys share with us.

7 hours ago, Hendrix said:

@GODSPEED! Now's our chance to get all those 1.13 features in and AIMNAS level of gear and weapons! 😂

I'm looking for that conversation we had quite a while back about looking back at our gunracks and tying up the devs to chairs.

We have demands. We have guns, chairs, rope... anyone have some glass jars and RDX crystals?

🤣

@Haemimont_Boian I promise those are non-violent threats in reality! 🍻

Edited by GODSPEED
  • Like 3

Здравейте Бояни и целия екип!
Hello to Boian, Boyan and all other team! 

I represent a slightly different community - fans of the XCOM series. However, JA is not an empty word for us. We really want you to create a worthy heir to the brilliant games from the past.

I registered on the forum specifically to allow myself to give advice while the development stage is so early. XCOM 2, although released 6 years ago, remains so popular primarily because it has amazing replayability. This is achieved primarily by the fact that along with the game there is a built-in modding tool that allows anyone to become a modder. A talented mod community has grown up around XCOM 2, and today there are more than 6000 mods for XCOM 2. It's clear that the requests from JA fans can be very different, so releasing a modding tool along with the game would be a great move for developers.

Good luck with the game!

• Like 2

Let me give you some imagery to help you understand what kind of JA sequel I want :

1、Turn-based ARMA (Maps)

2、Turn-based Men of War (Viehicles)

3、Turn-based Escape from tarkov (Weapons)

4、Mordern internet weapons shopping web

···

Hope it would help !

Edited by Carmine
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2022 at 9:11 PM, Carmine said:

Let me give you some imagery to help you understand what kind of JA sequel I want :

1、Turn-based ARMA (Maps)

2、Turn-based Men of War (Viehicles)

3、Turn-based Escape from tarkov (Weapons)

4、Mordern internet weapons shopping web

···

Hope it would help !

I agree, nice maps with a natural feel that force you to use your head to get to cover or take risk. (one of the problems with many turn-based games is the constant "cover-to-cover", like xcom. The maps are built FOR the game, with walls and cover strategically placed to help or hamper movement and cover.
Jagged Alliance 2 was the opposite. Maps were built to be a representative realistic country (to a playable scale).. meaning, you had to either find your own cover or even sometimes fight in the open, use diversion tactics, smokes, suppression to either pin the enemy down, or yourself retreat to a safer area.

I doubt we would get THAT much vehicle freedom to be honest, but having a jeep/hummer/toyota hilux as a place to store a bunch of HK G3's, or maybe mount a technical.. would love that!

Weapon variety is somewhat important after being spoiled by 1.13. But I don't expect THAT many to be honest, as weapons in 1.13 much simpler 2D image to add with stats. In this game, they will be modeled in 3D (I expect). I would in this case prefer quality over quantity.. if you give me 20 different AK variants, I want to see the model look different.. but that is more modding territory.
I'd be satisfied with slightly more weapons than JA2 + UB combined.. as long as we can get attachments and some special unique weapons.
When I say quality > quantity; I would prefer well balanced weapons with realistic stats and "damage" compared to weapons that level their damage with the player (I don't want to start with a 9mm pistol that does 20 damage, and late in the game find a 9mm pistol that does 40 damage, because of my level).

Keep in mind JA3 isn't happening in 2020. It has to stay a little bit like JA2, because we are dealing with a sligthly retro era of tech if I'm correct, so we can't have crazy websites. Back then, stores weren't like what we see in the net nowadays. This is also why JA2 was so immersive, it felt like a laptop of the 90's with an interface of the 90's and websites of the 90's.

Anyways, I like your points!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 3:38 PM, Haemimont_Boian said:

Still we appreciate your patience and passion, and we feel that some elements of the game are starting to settle enough that we’ll start sharing a little more in the near future. The game is slowly becoming more solidified and it will not be too long until we publish the first DevDiary. From this point on, you can expect to hear more from both me, Boyan and the other team members.

@Haemimont_Boian the first DevDiary will be released this week or not until May?

Edited by Wigen
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 11:48 PM, GODSPEED said:

Keep in mind JA3 isn't happening in 2020. It has to stay a little bit like JA2, because we are dealing with a sligthly retro era of tech if I'm correct, so we can't have crazy websites. Back then, stores weren't like what we see in the net nowadays. This is also why JA2 was so immersive, it felt like a laptop of the 90's with an interface of the 90's and websites of the 90's.

Thank you for reply,I have this thought because we alaways play JA2 with lots equipment,remember IOV mod ? JA2'S BR could only show four items per page, which took a lot of time to pick and choose each time, and it was easy to forget to buy some items 😂 Therefore, the shopping website in 2000s/2010s could make players more convenient and young players feel more friendly. The point is offering package purchases.

• Thanks 1

• Developers
On 4/20/2022 at 12:31 PM, Wigen said:

@Haemimont_Boian Seven months have passed since the announcement of the game.

Have there been any changes to the game mechanics that we saw in the trailer since then?

Yes, lots 🙂 Can't talk about specifics yet, but I am certain you will catch many of them when you see new footage.

@Haemimont_Boian the first DevDiary will be released this week or not until May?

Not just yet - I am waiting for greenlight to get started with the dev diaries and am just as eager as you all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, Haemimont_Boian said:

Can't talk about specifics yet, but I am certain you will catch many of them when you see new footage.

You made me very intrigued by this news. I look forward to new materials that you will show 😉

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2022 at 11:06 AM, Haemimont_Boian said:

Not just yet - I am waiting for greenlight to get started with the dev diaries and am just as eager as you all.

Anyway, I thought you had them prepared a long time ago and all you need to do is publish them. But that's okay, we've endured so long, we'll wait a little longer. 😉

• Like 3

On 4/27/2022 at 11:06 AM, Haemimont_Boian said:

Yes, lots 🙂 Can't talk about specifics yet, but I am certain you will catch many of them when you see new footage.

Am waiting extremely excited for this moment over 20 years now.... Its simply like a dream comes true to me, thats why we the Jagged Alliance lovers have somehow big expectations about Jagged Alliance 3.

Jagged Alliance 3 will not be a dream come true just for the Jagged Alliance 2 hardcore fans but the aim should be also to bring much more new players to this wonderful turn based strategic game. 

Once Jagged Alliance 3 will be a successful masterpiece, it will be just a matter of time for you guys to work on the sequel Jagged Alliance 4 (probably could take place on the 2010s or today 2020s as example.)

Launching this game on console would be also play a very big factor for marketing, cause todays most players are on console (including myself).

So we hope & pray, since we really hoping for the very best outcome from you guys. 😇🙏

• Like 3

On 4/29/2022 at 8:38 AM, Wigen said:

Anyway, I thought you had them prepared a long time ago and all you need to do is publish them. But that's okay, we've endured so long, we'll wait a little longer. 😉

This really made me laugh! 😂😂🤣

We need to make them feel guilty for making us wait for so long... 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

• Developers
26 minutes ago, Wigen said:

@Haemimont_Boian will DevDiary from Jagged Alliance 3 also be published on your website (for example Surviving Mars)?

I don't know at this point. Most marketing decisions are up to the publisher, including starting date for the dev diaries and the decision where to publish them. THQ Nordic have been an excellent partner to us and I am sure they will make the best decisions for the game regarding the dev diaries.

• Thanks 4

On 5/4/2022 at 3:35 PM, Haemimont_Boian said:

THQ Nordic have been an excellent partner to us and I am sure they will make the best decisions for the game regarding the dev diaries.

This is the role of the publisher. He decides what is to be released in a given time interval. 🙂

• Like 1

Hey Boian and Boyan,

so You guys played the first two parts extensively? That would be good news! I think the possibility for modding will be important. Personally I think that the content is more important than the looks. I also liked about JA2 that one could make own decisions about how to progress in the game. Some games lead the gamer through a story too tightly, I don't need that. The tactics and strategy should be the main part. The story in JA2 was as simple as it could be and it was perfect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1