Does the gameplay shown in the first three trailers looks faithful to JA2 to you?

trueman11

Does the gameplay shown in the first three trailers looks faithful to JA2 to you?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Does the gameplay shown in the first three trailers looks faithful to JA2 to you?

• Faithful to JA2
    • Unfaithful to JA2
    • I haven't played any previous games

Faithful to JA2 would mean true to the tone-feel-atmosphere, depth, breadth, complexity, immersiveness, captivation, etc. of JA2.

Note: I understand that it's only first three trailers, but nevertheless, I am asking how it feels and seems to you. Sincerely intersted in the results of the poll.

I am actually a little bit excited, and that's rare for any new game. And for this franchise, i have extremely high expectations.

But also, as i use to say .. if they can recreate even a fraction of the quality JA1 and 2 had, i'll be over the moon. It all remains to be seen. Because those games i consider that good.

Edited by Taurean

It appears to be heading in the right direction. Given that we've only seen a few videos and don't know how far along the development is, it's hard to say what the final outcome will be. I will say however that out of all the tries at making a proper sequel in this franchise, this one appears to be the best yet and I'm genuinely excited for it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Taurean said:

But also, as i use to say .. if they can recreate even a fraction of the quality JA1 and 2 had, i'll be over the moon.

That's interesting. A fraction would definitely not be enough for me to get excited.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, DougS2K said:

I will say however that out of all the tries at making a proper sequel in this franchise, this one appears to be the best yet and I'm genuinely excited for it.

The best that doesn't come nowhere near JA2 in depth, breadth, and feel - would not be enough for me. We'll see how it turns out, but I predict from what I've seen it's not going to come close to what JA2 is, and definitely not to 1.13. Hey, will be happy to be wrong.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, trueman11 said:

The best that doesn't come nowhere near JA2 in depth, breadth, and feel - would not be enough for me. We'll see how it turns out, but I predict from what I've seen it's not going to come close to what JA2 is, and definitely not to 1.13. Hey, will be happy to be wrong.

I get that. Ultimately, gameplay is what matters most. It's hard to judge right now as all the clips we've seem to be from an older build as they keep showing the same scenes over and over again. Also, we have no idea how far along in the build process they are give qe haven't seen much and don't have a release date. I was really hoping we would get a lot of the things 1.13 added to JA2 into JA3, but that doesn't look to be the case.

24 minutes ago, DougS2K said:

I get that. Ultimately, gameplay is what matters most. It's hard to judge right now as all the clips we've seem to be from an older build as they keep showing the same scenes over and over again. Also, we have no idea how far along in the build process they are give qe haven't seen much and don't have a release date. I was really hoping we would get a lot of the things 1.13 added to JA2 into JA3, but that doesn't look to be the case.

Hey, sorry to barge in.

We may not have an exact release date, but (at least) according to THQN official website, the game is set to release on PC this year.

The source: https://www.thqnordic.com/article/dont-f-it-how-jagged-alliance-3-aims-be-worthy-successor

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, DougS2K said:

Does the UI and style of the game shown in trailers feel like Jagged Alliance to you? Asking because it surprises me that many like it, despite it looking just like another XCOM clone to me.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Rui Carrer said:

Do you think the game should be delayed?

I don't think there's any hope the game will resemble anything like Jagged Alliance, if it's to be released so soon. What shown in trailers is going to be what released game will look and feel like. I don't think the direction of the game will be changed if it's to be released this year.

I also think that game will sell well, bring in a lot of money, as another XCOM clone supposed to do, because XCOM created a lot of players that buy it's clones. What will happen with JA4 looks only bleaker from there. And I don't think any subsequent games will abandon XCOM-clone-money-raking-in formula to be more like JA and JA2, no matter what creators of the current JA3 say in trailers. I really don't see how they can call what they show in trailers a "spiritual successor", it sounds like a cruel joke.

Meaning delaying the release doesn't matter, when the chosen direction departs from the game series roots.

• Sad 1

I know graphics and ui needs to be current. Look at Urban Strife with it's terrible UI .. I'd rather have Xcom cloned ui than this. 

Xcom UI doesn't mean xcom gameplay.

But unfortunatelly, I am kind of scepting currently. I am pretty sure JA3 needs some simplification over JA2 because 25 years passed from JA1/JA2 era and players are different today. Feeding just JA2 core fans is not perspective I am afraid. But JA2 is great exactly for its depth.

There are shots in trailers and devlogs, that I have a faith for.. like inventory screen on strategic view. Multiple squads, wound system, weight system, weapon modifications, a.i.m.

On the other side, there are things I am afraid of:

• reduced AP - means action cost can't be tuned precisely with perks / weapon types / skills etc.
  • action camera mid combat (I am sure it's going to be allowed to be set off, but still it costs development time)
  • simplified inventory system - just a grid (for now) with squad inventory (squad inventory has not been talked about, but it seems that some resources, like ammo and medkits, are shared across a squad)
  • xcom like action bar with specific skills like: two gradades throw, overwatch, cover
  • onscreen quests (imo means quests are being an important part of sectors)
  • and more..

Recently I got calmed by one of dev saying "we don't aim to have XCom-like core gameplay in JA3" .. and I want to believe him. But still.. sceptic and afraid. But faithful for now..

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Reloecc said:

I am pretty sure JA3 needs some simplification over JA2 because 25 years passed from JA1/JA2 era and players are different today. Feeding just JA2 core fans is not perspective I am afraid.

It doesn't need to be dumbed down to be interesting. I'm sure most players of JA2 in it's time did not use all of the depth it allowed, but that depth was there. Take Stellaris today for example: it is incredibly deep in it's current form, but it does not require every player to know all of it's depth.

You are correct that the players are different today. But I think that in creating something for hardcore JA fans devs would create something for many other players too. Everything can be modernized without losing identity, depth and tone. And I think devs in their style choice have shown that they are creating a game for other type of gamers than me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trueman11 said:

I don't think there's any hope the game will resemble anything like Jagged Alliance, if it's to be released so soon. What shown in trailers is going to be what released game will look and feel like. I don't think the direction of the game will be changed if it's to be released this year.

I also think that game will sell well, bring in a lot of money, as another XCOM clone supposed to do, because XCOM created a lot of players that buy it's clones. What will happen with JA4 looks only bleaker from there. And I don't think any subsequent games will abandon XCOM-clone-money-raking-in formula to be more like JA and JA2, no matter what creators of the current JA3 say in trailers. I really don't see how they can call what they show in trailers a "spiritual successor", it sounds like a cruel joke.

Meaning delaying the release doesn't matter, when the chosen direction departs from the game series roots.

Well thats your opinion which is ok but its just too pessimistic imo. Nothing wrong to make it a bit similar like XCOM2 (the best turn based games of the last decade), we need some modern graphics for sure and the gameplay on XCOM2 wasnt bad either, was very suitable to console gaming. The thing i didnt liked in XCOM2 was the cartoony aliens and the maps were too small overall but it was still a fun game. So its ok with me if JA3 gets some similarities to XCOM2.

23 hours ago, Rui Carrer said:

Hey, sorry to barge in.

We may not have an exact release date, but (at least) according to THQN official website, the game is set to release on PC this year.

The source: https://www.thqnordic.com/article/dont-f-it-how-jagged-alliance-3-aims-be-worthy-successor

Interesting. I never seen this before so it's nice to see a somewhat "confirmed" date.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, trueman11 said:

Does the UI and style of the game shown in trailers feel like Jagged Alliance to you? Asking because it surprises me that many like it, despite it looking just like another XCOM clone to me.

I personally think it feels very dumbed down. I liked being able to see where all my mercs are sector wise, what squads they're in, what they're doing, contract length, etc, all on the main screen like JA2. Seems JA3 takes a lot more navigating to see the same info. I mean just look how much better the detail is in JA2 compared to what we've seen in JA3.

Screenshot (62).png

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, DougS2K said:

I personally think it feels very dumbed down. I liked being able to see where all my mercs are sector wise, what squads they're in, what they're doing, contract length, etc, all on the main screen like JA2. Seems JA3 takes a lot more navigating to see the same info. I mean just look how much better the detail is in JA2 compared to what we've seen in JA3.

Screenshot (62).png

Damn which version of JA2 is this ? You can see even the night googles on the mercs portraits.

Drassen has 5 sectors damn, on the OG JA2 Drassen is 3 sectors and even on Wildfire 4.

Got even the FN Scar (was the best assault rifle in Jagged Alliance RAGE by far.)

Wait a min ? You have even moving tanks on the map ? 😮

6 minutes ago, LoboNocturno said:

Damn which version of JA2 is this ? You can see even the night googles on the mercs portraits.

Drassen has 5 sectors damn, on the OG JA2 Drassen is 3 sectors and even on Wildfire 4.

Got even the FN Scar (was the best assault rifle in Jagged Alliance RAGE by far.)

Wait a min ? You have even moving tanks on the map ? 😮

This is a 1.13 build from July 2021 with wildfire map mod. There is an option to enable showing merc gear on portraits and on characters in game. I cranked all the settings up to make it as difficult as possible via the INI editor. Moving tanks and jeeps, enemy helis, tons of enemies as you can see. I haven't played this save game in a while but might jump back in now that I have the Jagged Alliance itch again. I believe 1.13 is still getting updates and features added to this day here which is crazy and incredible given how old this game is. Just goes to show the following this title has had, and still has over the years.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 7:55 PM, Reloecc said:

Also.. Brad Logston, Senior Producer from THQ Nordic, admitted he don't understand the reference when somoone asked in chat "Is Elliot still an idiot?" in Devstream #1 .. and that hurted me!

I must admit, as soon as I saw him say that, it immediately concerned me. I don't know how familiar he is with JA2 and whether he has actually played it? We all know that Elliot is constantly being called an idiot (even if some also think that Deidranna is having her end away with him), so to be perplexed by that question on the Twitch stream did cause eyebrows to raise, red lights to start flashing and sirens to start wailing.

Still, it could have been worse…

"As the new Creative Director for the next Star Wars series of movies and games, I am really happy to be here! As a life-long fan, I take my role seriously and am excited to take the franchise in new directions!

Now, which one is Daft Vader? Is he those cute little teddy bears with the spears?"

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, DougS2K said:

This is a 1.13 build from July 2021 with wildfire map mod. There is an option to enable showing merc gear on portraits and on characters in game. I cranked all the settings up to make it as difficult as possible via the INI editor. Moving tanks and jeeps, enemy helis, tons of enemies as you can see. I haven't played this save game in a while but might jump back in now that I have the Jagged Alliance itch again. I believe 1.13 is still getting updates and features added to this day here which is crazy and incredible given how old this game is. Just goes to show the following this title has had, and still has over the years.

It sounds surely even more challenging then the standard Wildfire, so how is it possible to put together the JA2 Wildfire "from Steam" with the recent updates ? 

BTW yea i can see many enemies but their are in smaller groups, in the standard Wildfire from Steam, it feels like in each enemy sector are like 25 enemies, also when they attack a base, they can come 20 to 25 men.

Edited by LoboNocturno

2 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

It sounds surely even more challenging then the standard Wildfire, so how is it possible to put together the JA2 Wildfire "from Steam" with the recent updates ? 

BTW yea i can see many enemies but their are in smaller groups, in the standard Wildfire from Steam, it feels like in each enemy sector are like 25 enemies, also when they attack a base, they can come 20 to 25 men.

I'll include the readme file below for installation instructions. Latest updates for 1.13 and the wildfire maps mod can be found here and here. With this setup I'm running, it's possible to have enemies counter attack you in groups of 80 or so after you take over a town. It can be pretty brutal but hella fun. 

JA2 1.13-Wildfire6.07 Maps ReadMe.txt

• Like 1