DevDiary 6 - Combat, Part one

THQN Roger

10 minutes ago, KyleSimmons said:

Oh god, he wrote another essay

@agris Please stop talking

I am not sure why You, Woody but also anon think like you are the only people around who are allowed to write stuff and have an opinion...
Also no need to spam that opinion yourselves.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kordanor said:

But their argument was basically: XCom and Into the Breach (lol) set the standard, and everyone else got to follow it.

That is what I mean. I do not want that JA3 follows the standard, because the people are too lazy to learn something new. But the current JA3 combat system should also be logic while it is chaotic at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Kordanor said:

I am not sure why You, Woody but also anon think like you are the only people around who are allowed to write stuff and have an opinion...
Also no need to spam that opinion yourselves.

One of the interesting people I was referring to...

Just now, agris said:

image.png.3b21194ff7af948c6c65243e6f6a21ab.png

spacer.png

If you keep responding to me your account will get removed and shut down, I already reported you once for spam.

This is not a request. I am telling you to stop talking to me and to stop harrassing me.

You're crossing a boundary now.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KyleSimmons said:

If you keep responding to me your account will get removed and shut down, I already reported you once for spam.

This is not a request. I am telling you to stop talking to me and to stop harrassing me.

You're crossing a boundary now.

I will make a report about him as well, he's clearly hysterical and upset about something.

Posting images of people's account information is definitely weird, and targeting them is very very weird.

@Kordanor you should also be careful, I saw you heart @agris post, when he gets banned, and he will, they might look at you next.

• Haha 1

Not that it matters, but I started with JA back when it was the hot new game, and have vastly enjoyed the successors (some more than others, of course).  I've also played the hell out of XCom starting with the first one, as well as the majority of the other games mentioned here,  So I have a bit of experience with the topic.

Personally, I am looking forward to the "no visible CTH" implementation.  Every new version has given me something new to sink my teeth into and although some of them (looking at the "back in action" ones especially, but also Wildfire) haven't proved to hold my interest for long, they were interesting and enjoyable efforts to get to know.  I'm expecting at least as much from this, and hopefully more.  It may prove to cut into my JA2 1.13 playing time, but if it does, I've gained a lot.

I'm not going to comment on the silliness going on here other than to say that I am sometimes embarrassed by the stupidity I showed in some of my early postings on Usenet, and I learned the hard way to restrain some of my more intemperate urges.  I guess I'm not alone in having to learn that.  We were all kids once, though.

To get back to the topic, though, I find the burst fire comments interesting, and perhaps I've missed it, but I didn't notice one of my main reasons for bursting - when hitting may be hard, a burst, even if each bullet has a lowered chance, may be the best way to go.  As with a shotgun shell, if you put enough bullets out there, something is likely to get hit.

As for the "miss the body part. hit another body part" idea, I'm interested, but I wonder if that might add more complexity at the cost of fun.  I have no idea, myself, but I'd be willing to see how it works.  I wasn't a big fan of the LBE madness in v1.13, but now I spend hours fine-tuning each merc's gear.  You never know until you try it.  And every single game I've played has had its various pos's and neg's.  I'm just standing here waving my money, waiting for the release date, and it honestly doesn't really matter what Devstream comes out between now and then.  I just hope that it's as good as the 1.13 implementation, but if it isn't - if it's only as good as JA - that's good enough for me.  I still remember with great pleasure "This is highly irregular - oh, well."  And while I don't expect to hear Smoke taunt the opposition with "I like what you done with your hair, eh?", I'm, sure what I do hear will still make me laugh.  "That was close!"  "Wasn't all that close" "That was close; I don't plan on missing"

• Like 1

@Haemimont_Boyan thanks for talking about the AP system on the stream. It's interesting to hear you experimented with... I think you said 100 AP? system first.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what didn't work with that? You said it was hard to compare cost of actions, such as firing the weapon?

Edited by agris

So for those who didnt follow the stream, they have been talking about this topic again over here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1811204423

at Minute 30:42 onwards

To give a brief summary:

They had chance to hit in first. Ian (original JA designer) immediately thought it was off (31:55)
The didnt have CTH in the original games due to a councious choice. Not a technical limitation.

And then they continued with what they talked about a couple of times before:

General feeling was, everyone was hunting for exactly the right spots and the right numbers, didnt feel like real firefights.
When they removed the CTH the immediate feedback was that it felt much better.

Hello,

Long time Jagged Alliance fan here

I can appreciate a lot of the design choices taken by the development team, but I think things like CtH should be implemented and other design choices like cooldown skills like the one on the Kalyna character should be probably not put in place.

The emphasis of Jagged Alliance should, and always was, on the stats and the items that are the property of the merc.

Thank you for listening

2 minutes ago, Kordanor said:

So for those who didnt follow the stream, they have been talking about this topic again over here:

To give a brief summary:

They had chance to hit in first. Ian (original JA designer) immediately thought it was off (31:55)
The didnt have CTH in the original games due to a councious choice. Not a technical limitation.

General feeling was, everyone was hunting for exactly the right spots and the right numbers, didnt feel like real firefights.

Wait IAN DID THIS?

IAN YOU FOOL!

I have enormous respect for Ian as a developer, but man, this is really unfortunate.

The entire Steam forum for JA3 has about 5 separate CTH articles lol. I think we can all agree not including CTH at this point is a mistake.

7 minutes ago, IceKing said:

Hello,

Long time Jagged Alliance fan here

I can appreciate a lot of the design choices taken by the development team, but I think things like CtH should be implemented and other design choices like cooldown skills like the one on the Kalyna character should be probably not put in place.

The emphasis of Jagged Alliance should, and always was, on the stats and the items that are the property of the merc.

Thank you for listening

Stats and items over skills and actions.. yes. How to name this system? Hot to properly call it? I am not sure..

Just now, KyleSimmons said:

Wait IAN DID THIS?

IAN YOU FOOL!

I have enormous respect for Ian as a developer, but man, this is really unfortunate.

The entire Steam forum for JA3 has about 5 separate CTH articles lol. I think we can all agree not including CTH at this point is a mistake.

Yeah this is a massive mistake. And if Ian is responsible. Oof. Poor Ian.

8 minutes ago, Kordanor said:

To give a brief summary:

"Everyone was hunting for the right spots" Ok. And?

How is that bad. How is that ... not every last tactical strategy in existence.

Every single tactical strategy is built around the idea that you want to find a way to do maximum damage with maximum accuracy. What's the problem with this.