DevDiary 6 - Combat, Part one

THQN Roger

14 minutes ago, Woody said:

Yeah this is a massive mistake. And if Ian is responsible. Oof. Poor Ian.

"Everyone was hunting for the right spots" Ok. And?

How is that bad. How is that ... not every last tactical strategy in existence.

Every single tactical strategy is built around the idea that you want to find a way to do maximum damage with maximum accuracy. What's the problem with this.

Everyone hunting for the right spot? I say: Make the enemies strong enough you greatly risk when hunting the spot. That's all I need.

17 minutes ago, Reloecc said:

Everyone hunting for the right spot? I say: Make the enemies strong enough you greatly risk when hunting the spot. That's all I need.

Not sure what you meant, sorry.

15 minutes ago, Woody said:

Not sure what you meant, sorry.

Devs say that showing CtH leads to "player tends to seek best spot to shoot". You are saying "And what?". I am agreeing with you. And I'm adding: Make the AI and maps well balanced, so if players seeks the best spot, he risks a lot. Make it so the best sposts are where the enemy can shoot you as well.

10 minutes ago, Reloecc said:

Devs say that showing CtH leads to "player tends to seek best spot to shoot". You are saying "And what?". I am agreeing with you. And I'm adding: Make the AI and maps well balanced, so if players seeks the best spot, he risks a lot. Make it so the best sposts are where the enemy can shoot you as well.

Oh yeah I agree with good level design, I just don't think it has anything to do with Ian's argument for or against chance to hit being shown.

Edited by Woody

1 hour ago, KyleSimmons said:

The entire Steam forum for JA3 has about 5 separate CTH articles lol. I think we can all agree not including CTH at this point is a mistake.

You think wrong!

I enjoy the lack of CtH and, in the context of Jagged Alliance, prefer it. I enjoy the additional tension and unpredictability it adds to combat.

• Like 1

I also like the tension and unpredictability that the current combat system has. It is true to Jagged Alliance so there is no need to change that if it feels natural and less restricted. The more JA3 has its own realistic approach and less the generic nuXCOM mechanics the better in my opinion. 

Only for new players that do not understand the current system we need tutorial menus that help to explain everything in detail.

• Like 1

There are plenty of us that are perfectly fine without seeing a visible percentage to hit. It is only the display of the calculation that is hidden. The actual calculation remains.

I am curious as to why several new forum members have all appeared at the same time (even creating a profile in the same hour) and being in perfect agreement with one another, while being equal in insulting other forum members, some who have been here for a long time, if they don't agree.

Edited by Solaris_Wave
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Solaris_Wave said:

I am curious as to why several new forum members have all appeared at the same time (even creating a profile in the same hour) and being in perfect agreement with one another, while being equal in insulting other forum members, some who have been here for a long time, if they don't agree.

I noticed this too, especially the generally hostile attitude to match. It's almost as if the person who called everyone a liar and/or an alt account decided to start making alt accounts themselves... 🤔

We definitely have a few hostile crazies, not too unusual for the net. Unfortunately it probably means the nascent dialogue with the devs about mechanics is not going any further. Most sane people would see what transpired here and run the other direction 😅

1 hour ago, agris said:

We definitely have a few hostile crazies, not too unusual for the net. Unfortunately it probably means the nascent dialogue with the devs about mechanics is not going any further. Most sane people would see what transpired here and run the other direction 😅

3 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

I hope you won't mind me doing this since I saw you looking up other people's profiles, allow me to just put some facts together...

E2.png.b68d82ae490f6ff210dde7c707152fe6.png

Joined yesterday

E3.png.8f056f6cae24db9128a4440dc3509f16.png

Anon something talking about how you, @agris reminded him of @Solaris_Wave , he also openly accused you of being an alt for somebody else on the forum on another thread.

E1.thumb.png.a6a668c3494075b35911a9077025311d.png

And now you're replying to each other, at 5 o'clock in the morning, when nobody is online, and agreeing with each other.

Any comments?

Sure. I don't need to create an alternative account as I don't seek that kind of validation. Also, I don't know who he is or what time zone he is in. I meanwhile, work different hours so am up different times of the day.

There was never any suggestion about alternative accounts until @anon474 joined the forum and was immediately rude to everyone if he didn't agree with them. He thought I was doing such a thing to agree with myself. I am too old for that sort of thing. Meanwhile, he seemed to be the kind of character that would do precisely what he accuses others of.

Just now, Solaris_Wave said:

Sure. I don't need to create an alternative account as I don't seek that kind of validation. Also, I don't know who he is or what time zone he is in. I meanwhile, work different hours so am up different times of the day.

There was never any suggestion about alternative accounts until @anon474 joined the forum and was immediately rude to everyone if he didn't agree with them. He thought I was doing such a thing to agree with myself. I am too old for that sort of thing. Meanwhile, he seemed to be the kind of character that would do precisely what he accuses others of.

Then why did you get defensive and start writing immediately in response to my message, like you had to defend yourself.

It's 5 o'clock in the morning. You shouldn't be awake, and the likelihood of you randomly coming across @agris comments (or vice versa) is 0%.

Why are you writing in the same way @agris is and why are you both using the same terminology of ballistic modelling.

What are the likelihoods that a brand new Snake Plisskin account would come in, stir up a lot of trouble, and agree with everything you've said.

2 minutes ago, agris said:

@Solaris_Wave another JC / EFNY fan? My brother in arms!

You're the same person.

I am willing to bet on it. You literally replied to this comment within 5 minute time frame.

I saw it happen.

Don't pretend that you're not.

I literally saw you reply one after another, within a 5 minute gap.

It wasn't even in a 5 minute time frame. I literally saw @Solaris_Wave stop writing, and then immediately saw @agris start writing and publish his comment.

It's 5 o'clock in the morning. There is nobody online, and the likelihood of even two people replying to each other one after another is 0.00000000000001%.

Edited by Woody
  • Haha 1

@Woody time zones are a thing. This may shock you, but when it’s 5 am one place, it can be the evening in another!

Re: ballistic modeling, that’s what it’s called. The developers use the term, the strategy community that cares about the nuances between probabilistic vs simulation uses the term. I’m sorry to say it reveals more about your limited vocabulary that you find this suspicious, than it does some great conspiracy.

Although I do appreciate a bit more @anon474‘s paranoia in calling me solar, the stuff about Carpenter and EFNY is funny. Im afraid rather than grand conspiracy, you’ve just found a demographic of men of a certain age, interested in a certain type of game.

Edited by agris

3 minutes ago, Woody said:

It's 5 o'clock in the morning. You shouldn't be awake, and the likelihood of you randomly coming across @agris comments (or vice versa) is 0%.

I told you, I work different hours depending on the day. Why are you up?

I responded straight away because I am on the forum and received a notification that you quoted me. Why did you respond straight away?

1 minute ago, Solaris_Wave said:

I told you, I work different hours depending on the day. Why are you up?

I responded straight away because I am on the forum and received a notification that you quoted me. Why did you respond straight away?

You're getting banned.

I saw you stop writing your first comment then write some throwaway small comment on the @agris account.

You didn't even try to hide it.

Also you never told me anything, this is the first time we spoke. More lies, unsurprisingly.

Edited by Woody
  • Haha 2

I am not sure who you think you are but you have a serious problem with others. In fact, you behave just like @anon474. I am not going to get into it with you because I did all that with him. He didn't like the fact that I was right and he resorted to insults and prattle.

Besides, this is a Developer's thread. I am not going to ruin this thread by trying to talk sense into you.

Btw none of what you said @Solaris_Wave makes sense.

I'm allowed to be up, I never replied to my own comments on my alt account.

I'm also not pretending like its normal for two people who have full command of the English language (or at least live in Europe), to be awake at the exact same time at 5 o'clock in the morning.

I also am not the one who is refusing to explain why I LITERALLY SAW YOU STOP WRITING YOUR FIRST COMMENT, THEN WRITE ANOTHER COMMENT ON @agris

I SAW YOU DO IT.

you didn't just do it within a 5 minute time frame, it was a 5 SECOND time frame. I saw you stop writing @Solaris_Wave comment and IMMEDIATELY after that I saw you writing your @agris comment.

3 minutes ago, Solaris_Wave said:

I am not sure who you think you are but you have a serious problem with others. In fact, you behave just like @anon474. I am not going to get into it with you because I did all that with him. He didn't like the fact that I was right and he resorted to insults and prattle.

Besides, this is a Developer's thread. I am not going to ruin this thread by trying to talk sense into you.

I have no problems with 90% of people, you fit in the 10%.

Explain why @agris literally began writing his comment within 5 seconds of you finishing your first comment on the @Solaris_Wave account and why both of you responded within the same 5 minute time frame, at 5 AM.

Developers, look at @Solaris_Wave and @agris messages, especially this one:

21 minutes ago, Solaris_Wave said:

Right after this comment @agris began writing his comment and posted his comment within seconds of posting this comment.

That is impossibly unlikely. Aside from all other behaviour such as replying to each other and reacting to each other, and agreeing with each other.

AT 5 O CLOCK IN THE MORNING.

ITS THE SAME PERSON.

Look at the time stamps for this message and the next one made by @agris if you don't believe me.

Edited by Woody
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, agris said:

Dear me, and here I always thought Europe’s educational system was superior to ours.

Go back to bed @Woody

You aren't American I know that because your English is broken (exactly how @Solaris_Wave's is)

Stop pretending to be from America because I discovered that you're @Solaris_Wave and are using multiple accounts.

Edited by Woody