Always running

Biff

40 minutes ago, D13 said:

Do you know if it will be possible to move while prone? In JA2 this was sometimes useful to move past a window without being seen from inside

I am hoping that will be present once again. It would be slow and take up lots of action points but it would be too useful to omit. Some games prevent characters from moving if prone but those aren't common. I would usually keep prone movement to avoiding enemy fire when outdoors, moving up gradually or to get a better firing position. I would also use prone movement if I wanted to allow a clear line of sight for anyone behind the prone soldier. A narrow area could force a single file approach, so I would have the first soldier prone, the second crouching and the third standing. Being forced to stand up, move forward and then go prone again each time, would prove to be a major nuisance.

Edited by Solaris_Wave

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, John Hannibal Smith said:

The mercs always running looks goovy and is pretty immersion breaking.

Yeah, the story of YMCA Alliance... Goofy and immersion breaking... 😅
In all seriousness, it would be completely stupid if they did not implement a walk mode.
Despite all design errors I have seen them made so far I do expect them to at least keep the walk/run toggle (doubleclick to run) in the final version.

Edited by ShadowMagic

Say the guy that likely casts 'haste' when exploring an area in a D&D game.

You already have made your point. Aren't you tired finding new motives to issue criticisms? We know you want JA2 (1.13) Enhanced Edition. You are not going to get it. Period.

Try JA3, maybe you will surprisingly enjoy it.

I never had my mercs walk in JA2 real time mode, at least not deliberately. They would either run, or move while crouching because for some reason, the crouch animation seemed to make them move faster than actual running.

2 minutes ago, WILDFIRE said:

I am already happy when at least all mercs don't have the same running animations. Variations in this area are definitely needed.

That was one of the most noticeable things in the preview videos when it came to those animations. They were all synchronised with their animations.

2 hours ago, WILDFIRE said:

I am already happy when at least all mercs don't have the same running animations. Variations in this area are definitely needed.

2 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

That was one of the most noticeable things in the preview videos when it came to those animations. They were all synchronised with their animations.

They're not all synchronized, but they do all have the same running animations, played at the same speed. It looks unnatural when you have multiple mercs running alongside each other.

See below:

4 hours ago, Claudius33 said:

Say the guy that likely casts 'haste' when exploring an area in a D&D game.

You already have made your point. Aren't you tired finding new motives to issue criticisms? We know you want JA2 (1.13) Enhanced Edition. You are not going to get it. Period.

Try JA3, maybe you will surprisingly enjoy it.

So defensive, OP only asked if there's an option to have characters walk (something you could do in vanilla JA2 😑). Sounds like a reasonable feature to want in any tactics game like this, I'd be shocked if it's not an option.

• Like 1

OMG guys, I really admire your sense of perfection. Just sometimes look at the big picture : will I have fun with this game, what do matters, is it a worthy successor to JA2, what matters less but still matters? My personal answer so far is yes to both.

I don't know if there is a merc walking animation and honestly I do not care. Prone, Crouch, Stand is what really matters.

If there actually is a merc walking animation, some will complain they all walk the same way or that the way they walk is too feminine or too masculine or too civilian like or whatever ...

If there is none they say JA2 has it, though very few use it.

In combat it's almost useless. It's ok in a safe area in order to do some tourism, but as soon you know the area (generally during your first run) you run again.

As for the mines, don't always think realism, they are trained mercs, you don't have to babysit them all the time. They spot a land mine as soon as they get close enough if they have the required expertise or are equipped with a mine detector (if any).

As for my comment quoted by @Hellote it is adressed to someone who has systematically despised and belittled the devs work since he joined the community. I am personally tired of reading him.

Edited by Claudius33
syntax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would prefer to have the option of a walking animation, but realistically I'm unlikely to use it. I'm the kind of player who gets annoyed waiting for my merc to sprint from the bottom to the top of the Drassen Airport sector.

What is slightly annoying is the animation itself, or rather, its use. It's a perfect animation for battle or for moving around a potentially hostile sector, but it'll be odd to see my mercs going for the 100 metre dash record as they're picking up quests in a friendly town or looting a captured bunker. It reminds me of excited children.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claudius33 said:

As for my comment quoted by @Hellote it is adressed to someone who has systematically despised and belittled the devs work since he joined the community. I am personally tired of reading him.

I have no idea what you're talking about. This thread is the first time I've posted here this year...

Edited by Biff

I would like to see a walking animation for movement throughout safe areas and after the battle is over. You can always force them to run by holding down a key on the keyboard, if you want.

After the battles were over in JA2, I liked how everything would then go at a slower pace. Your mercs would walk and be upright. They could relax more and so could you, the player.

Also, it would make sense for your mercs to walk short distances, especially inside buildings or moving from one NPC to another, to speak with them. If they were running (and crouching low) everywhere, it would be silly. Save that for the sectors where enemies might be present, not for when you are in a safe village.

Edited by Solaris_Wave

1 hour ago, WILDFIRE said:

I also think it is not extremely important that the mercs can walk but they should normally act more relaxed out of combat. As I stated that all mercs run like robots with the exact same animation should be fixed.

I do think that is important. Even JA2 nailed it by taking the Mercs health / stamina / morale / weight of gear into consideration. When being rested and of high morale, they would walk more frantically and when exhausted / low on morale moved around slowly.

There would be absolutely no sense into having the Mercs run around freed sectors with their gear (in some cases even heavy machine guns) strapped on their backs weighing tens of kilo's. 

Edited by ShadowMagic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if there's a walking animation but it does look a bit clone like with them all running the same together, bit of differences in the movements for each character would've made them more unique, but that could be a lot work doing different animations for all mercs and the enemies. 

• Like 1