So broken.

Sirbastage

None of the mercs added to AIM are on the site. I can't look at my existing team. Creating an IMP is broken. Rebooted and tried a new game. Same issues. I have lots of mods, mostly QOL and added mercs. I have no idea where to begin damage control and am not looking forward to the amount of time that will be spent.

Well you need to troubleshoot this by checking where the problem is. Save your game and then test without mods. If the problem stays write a bug report if not load the game again with halve the mods and check for you problem. If your problem is not showing up load again with the other halve if it occurs deactivate halve the mods and check again. 

With this process you can identify a faulty mod in reasonable time.

I stopped playing last week after having played every day, figuring it would be best to just wait a few months until things have settled down (bug fixing, rebalancing).

Yesterday's patch gave me new hope, but the issues I'm having now make the game less enjoyable than it had been at any time since the game's initial release. And I'm playing without mods.

It was already strange to see a highly visible bug like the movement range miscalculation in the previous patch, and now this. Haemimont need to improve their quality/testing processes.

5 hours ago, Sirbastage said:

I have lots of mods, mostly QOL and added mercs.

So you have a lot of mods but complain about the game being broken?

yes, it is bugged as hell, but what you're desciribing is clearly a mod issue, so I guess it's high time to learn what 'at your own risk' and 'provided AS IS' means in terms of software.

2 hours ago, D13 said:

I stopped playing last week after having played every day, figuring it would be best to just wait a few months until things have settled down (bug fixing, rebalancing).

Yesterday's patch gave me new hope, but the issues I'm having now make the game less enjoyable than it had been at any time since the game's initial release. And I'm playing without mods.

It was already strange to see a highly visible bug like the movement range miscalculation in the previous patch, and now this. Haemimont need to improve their quality/testing processes.

Which issues are you having exactly?

1 hour ago, wilku said:

So you have a lot of mods but complain about the game being broken?

yes, it is bugged as hell, but what you're desciribing is clearly a mod issue, so I guess it's high time to learn what 'at your own risk' and 'provided AS IS' means in terms of software.

I wouldn't have needed so many QOL mods if it wasn't 'bugged as hell'. The devs were either lazy or rushed but the game is far from a polished product. The efforts of the mod community made it playable for many and the game would have lost users without them. 

2 hours ago, Sirbastage said:

Knowing which QOL mods are no longer required would help. I have yet to see such information.

Reading the patch notes might be challenging, but give it a shot. You may find some answers there. I know, it requires OWN effort, and you clearly seem to be unfamiliar with that concept, but hey, never too late to learn

6 hours ago, wilku said:

Reading the patch notes might be challenging, but give it a shot. You may find some answers there. I know, it requires OWN effort, and you clearly seem to be unfamiliar with that concept, but hey, never too late to learn

I have read the notes, they don't clarify a great deal. As far as your attitude, being both useless and smarmy, you must feel good about yourself. I am familiar with challenges and effort since my becoming a quadriplegic 35 years ago. Have a good day.

10 hours ago, Sirbastage said:

The devs were either lazy or rushed but the game is far from a polished product.

I suspect it was rushed rather than anyone being lazy. Mostly because I don't think the game could have been released like that without approval from management or THQN. But also because there were reports of financial difficulties at Embracer not long before the release, no idea what effect that had if any, but it certainly did not help. Fully agree about the game being unpolished, as is evident from the fact that the patches have not only addressed bugs but also game mechanics and balancing.

13 hours ago, D13 said:

I suspect it was rushed rather than anyone being lazy. Mostly because I don't think the game could have been released like that without approval from management or THQN. But also because there were reports of financial difficulties at Embracer not long before the release, no idea what effect that had if any, but it certainly did not help. Fully agree about the game being unpolished, as is evident from the fact that the patches have not only addressed bugs but also game mechanics and balancing.

The financial issues likely played a part. I am taking a break to allow modders to do their thing. I may even wait until the next patch.

27 minutes ago, Sirbastage said:

I am taking a break to allow modders to do their thing. I may even wait until the next patch.

Seems reasonable. Two days and many bugs later I'm also close to giving up for now. Since this patch was released, I have spent more time on reporting and discussing bugs than on playing the game.

The title of this topic is spot on. All forums I follow are filled with complaints about the patch and its bugs.

What concerns me the most is whether Haemimont can fix all these issues in time before "normal" people (i.e. not us JA addicts) just move on, what effect it may have on the modding community potential, and if Haemimont can actually ensure a similarly botched patch is not released again in the future.

Maybe they should offer patches as beta versions first, instead of rolling them out to everyone. I'm sure many in the JA community would be happy to try early versions and help with issues. It can't be the modders' job to fix bugs though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Raeven said:

They issued a hotfix today.

Thanks! Changelog below if anyone's interested.

Unfortunately, camera autofocus is still broken to the point where I can't see if my shots hit or miss, and I'm still having issues with invisible mercs.

# Patch 1.1.1 Released – Hotfix #

List of fixes: 

•    Stability improvements and fixes for the black screen experienced by players
•    Fixed a crash when talking to King Chicken
•    Fixed an issue with items remaining stuck on screen after the inventory is closed
•    Fixed an issue where combat will restart immediately after it ends
•    Fixed an issue with cancelling Overwatch that will cause mercs to start with 0 AP
•    Resolved a case where deployed mercs will not properly appear on the map
•    Fixed an issue with several black screens flashing when Esc is pressed repeatedly in the Inventory
•    Changed how tiredness is accumulated
•    Updates to the modding documentation and the sample mods
•    Restored Left-click to move in options

8 minutes ago, Raeven said:

Most of the issues reported are with mods installed.

The amount and severity of issues affecting unmodded games are bad enough. If having mods installed more than doubles the issues, that's quite disappointing of course. But probably not surprising given the experimental nature of mods so far, and ultimately doesn't make that much of a difference if even saves on my unmodded game on a clean system can become unplayable with 1.1.0/1.

Now that the official modding tools have been released, I can only hope it will not interfere with Haemimont's ability to address bugs in the unmodded core game (as bug reporters will be more likely to use mods), and that they will resist the temptation of hiding behind the "must be a mod" excuse.