Jagged Alliance 3 - THQ Nordic Showcase Trailer

Wigen

On 8/19/2022 at 1:23 PM, ULTRAANDR said:

In JA2 there were both text boxes and voices speches too. So, voicing is still have a chance.

But in JA2 the text boxes were appearing only in the tactical map not in the game which would spoil the game fun imo, i mean while playing the game constantly popping text speeches will be more than annoying, so just let them talk.

2 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

But in JA2 the text boxes were appearing only in the tactical map not in the game which would spoil the game fun imo, i mean while playing the game constantly popping text speeches will be more than annoying, so just let them talk.

In the gamescom interview, they made clear that the mercs will be voiced. Already 500000 words have been voiced already, and they said more sessions were to come.
They have prepared huge preparation documents for each mercs and they said it helped them a lot for the voice casting.

If all that is not enough to confirm that mercs and more will be voiced, I don't know what will.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Grim said:

In the gamescom interview, they made clear that the mercs will be voiced. Already 500000 words have been voiced already, and they said more sessions were to come.
They have prepared huge preparation documents for each mercs and they said it helped them a lot for the voice casting.

If all that is not enough to confirm that mercs and more will be voiced, I don't know what will.

Oh yes i heard it in the interview and even opened directly a topic as i was that excited. Hopefully the voice actings will be quality with some heavy accents and also in some other languages, i will be more than happy if we will have a few Spanish speaking mercs in there who will be using lots of spanish words in there, we already know 1 is Fidel already. Hope Ivan will be also using lots of Russian words in there. I already like how Vicky speaks in the first trailer with her Jamaican accent. We will need also some characters with African accent, guess even our main villain will be a African.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoboNocturno said:

Oh yes i heard it in the interview and even opened directly a topic as i was that excited. Hopefully the voice actings will be quality with some heavy accents and also in some other languages, i will be more than happy if we will have a few Spanish speaking mercs in there who will be using lots of spanish words in there, we already know 1 is Fidel already. Hope Ivan will be also using lots of Russian words in there. I already like how Vicky speaks in the first trailer with her Jamaican accent. We will need also some characters with African accent, guess even our main villain will be a African.

The number mentioned was 300k though. But yeah, they also mentioned that they are going to look specificlally for people with these accents.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

Voice acting with heavy accents is definitely needed. Its so much more immersive and can give every merc their special characterisation. 

• Like 1

The game's discussion forum on Steam is very nice to collect the most important information about Jagged Alliance 3, which appeared during Gamescom 2022. I will post it here together with the source. They can come from an open or closed show.

Sources: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1084160/discussions/0/3318610798939921594/, https://steamcommunity.com/app/1084160/discussions/0/3318610798939927915/

• Merc recruitment and inventory systems are just like in JA2 and very close to it. The Merc system in particular looks like the original too (internet browser window and all).
    • For recruitment you will have to negotiate contracts, their duration, deal with mercs wanting more money if your men get wounded too often or get killed, dislike other characters in your team etc. You will also need to renegotiate contracts for each Merc once they expire.
    • Inventory system has slots for weapons and different Armor, all of them will degrade through use. Classic inventory management.
    • Strategy layer is VERY similar to JA2 and very in depth, you will NEED to have multiple teams of up to 6 characters each, as you don't only need to take territory, but also defend it and also handle combat exhaustion and travel times.
    • You can train militia forces to defend your territory, if your mercs are present when an area is attacked you to play out the battle, otherwise it is automated. Both your forces and enemy squads move over the 'real time with pause' strategy map through a grid system representing the areas you and the enemy control.
    • You can make taking bases much easier by doing side missions on the world map - e.g. cut off diamond shipments to the enemy forces to weaken their numbers and finances.
    • Combat system is VERY tactical due to a classic Action Point system and an aiming system that is close to Valkyria Chronicles and very close to Phoenix Point, so no "% to hit or miss" system. The less AP you use to aim, the likelier it is that you will miss the enemy.
    • Bullet trajectories get calculated real time, you can actually end up hitting stuff like other enemies or even explosive barrels meters away by accident even if you weren't aiming for them (if they are within the aiming reticule and the bullet deviates that way).
    • As this system works on true line of sight, you can prevent an enemy from hitting you by going prone behind line of sight blocking cover, but won't be able to shoot back either. That said, if legs or arms are poking out of cover, you can shoot them.
    • Overwatch works with cones.
    • There is cover penetration accompanying cover destruction. If you have a sufficiently high powered weapon, you can just shoot through e.g. thin metal sheet walls and hit the enemy hiding behind them.
    • The various climates on various maps have effects on both your men and the enemy, with sand storms on desert maps reducing sight and lowering the noise you make (so you can sneak up easier), while other times the heat waves will cause exhaustion for everyone in the battle due to the temperature.
    • Decisions in dialogues do matter and have long(er) term repercussions.

• There is a roster of 40 mercs that are all fully voiced, with personalities that may clash against each other(!). Some will be old mercs from JA2, several will be completely new.
    •  They are NOT trying to make XCOM clone. Game feels and plays different than XCOM (more about it in the PC Gamer article below).
    •  % chance to hit enemy is not shown (unlike XCOM, more about it in the PC Gamer article below).
    •  Weapons can get stuck like in original JA2.
    •  Bad weather like rain can reduce visibility on the map.
    •  You can blown up the floor in buildings with grenades and then your nearby mercs fall through the hole, are stunned and take damage. So some form of environmental destruction is implemented already.
    •  They hope that someone will recreate JA2 in JA3. If that happens, they will stream whole mod themselves.
    •  They also recognized, that JA2 is alive today because of the modding community. So nothing confirmed about modding tools for now.
    •  Some devs played and enjoyed 1.13 mod for JA2. one dev said that he is replaying JA2 every year.
    •  IMP character creator is not confirmed yet, but it seems that they want to add it later. We need to wait.
    •  Coop is in th works, but they are not ready to show it yet.
    •  Game will have controller support.
    •  Nothing about console release for now.
    •  UI is modernized, but they don't want to dumb down the game. They hope that old JA formula can still attract completely new players.
    •  They are working on the game since 2019.
    •  They are enthusiastic about streaming (Twitch etc.) and want to support streamers, so music in game will be "Streamer friendly".
    •  Music in the game is inspired by JA music, but they also added some African tunes, since Grand Chien is African like country (Arulco was Latin America like)
    •  They are happy that they can now share more about the game
    •  During the interview they actually responded to several fan questions. It was really nice.
    •  They joked about banter between Fidel and Buns. They really seem to understand the lore of JA.
    •  Tutorial will be a a lot better than in JA2 or JA1. They joked about printed manuals for JA1 or that 20 pages "Help" encyclopedia in JA2
    •  Game takes place after JA2, ~ year 2000 in fictional African like country called Grand Chien. Daughter of former president hires us to help her liberate the country.
    •  No chance for 2022 release. They want finished, proper JA game. We have to wait.
    • I think (my personal opinion) that 2023/2024 is most realistic. Would love late 2023 😉

Edited by Wigen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/5/2022 at 5:19 PM, Wigen said:

The game's discussion forum on Steam is very nice to collect the most important information about Jagged Alliance 3, which appeared during Gamescom 2022. I will post it here together with the source. They can come from an open or closed show.

Sources: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1084160/discussions/0/3318610798939921594/, https://steamcommunity.com/app/1084160/discussions/0/3318610798939927915/

•  

Who wrote all this ? Is it all clear facts or just suggestions ?

3 minutes ago, LoboNocturno said:

Who wrote all this ? Is it all clear facts or just suggestions ?

A mix of both, but mostly visible.

Something like "Combat system is VERY tactical" is obviously not a clear fact.

But mostly thats confirmed facts. If you have any specific question I can also point you to the real sources.

Edited by Kordanor
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Solaris_Wave said:

I wonder if, since the video first came out, whether the developers have hopefully scaled back, or (even better) completely changed, the huuuuuuge and arcadey blood splatter!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GO... sorry my bad, wrong game!