Shops not very useful

VidarNL

Is it me or are the shops (gun shop, explosives shop/stall on market, etc) really lackluster? I mean, just a table with ONE VERY SPECIFIC GUN on it. Take it or leave it. And you can't see which modifications are on the gun just that there are modifications. Would it have killed them in those YEARS that they spent on the game to actually create a working shop interface that updates on a regular interval where you have a choice of items you can buy and inspect before you buy? Even a few funny extra voice lines like Tony? 

Do you even get new items after you've bought the one that's on the table/shelf or is that literally it?

I'm not a programmer/game designer, but I've worked at a game studio, and I'm sure that just having a static object that never changes in appearance come up with a "buy <object X" prompt and give you a certain item when you click on it can't be much work at all. Maybe a few day's worth.

Hope the devs decide to update this, or someone will mod it in. (but I really hope the devs do it, and they don't leave it up to the modding community to add features that really should have been in from the beginning. No, not talking about CtH% or showing gear on character models. Those were gameplay/design choices and I for one think the game is more fun that way)

• Like 4

Yes, shops are bad.
I've not seen any place to sell your stuff.
I guess the mechanic is more around scrap. You have to salvage the weapons you don't need to get scrap, repairs and upgrade those you keep.
From what I've heard of the devs in various streams :
1) they wanted the player to "live of the land" more than relying on shops.
2) They couldn't do Bobby ray's online shop because of time & ressources.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, VidarNL said:

Is it me or are the shops (gun shop, explosives shop/stall on market, etc) really lackluster? I mean, just a table with ONE VERY SPECIFIC GUN on it. Take it or leave it. And you can't see which modifications are on the gun just that there are modifications. Would it have killed them in those YEARS that they spent on the game to actually create a working shop interface that updates on a regular interval where you have a choice of items you can buy and inspect before you buy? Even a few funny extra voice lines like Tony? 

Do you even get new items after you've bought the one that's on the table/shelf or is that literally it?

I'm not a programmer/game designer, but I've worked at a game studio, and I'm sure that just having a static object that never changes in appearance come up with a "buy <object X" prompt and give you a certain item when you click on it can't be much work at all. Maybe a few day's worth.

Hope the devs decide to update this, or someone will mod it in. (but I really hope the devs do it, and they don't leave it up to the modding community to add features that really should have been in from the beginning. No, not talking about CtH% or showing gear on character models. Those were gameplay/design choices and I for one think the game is more fun that way)

It's kind of basic, yes. I think they were aiming to have more control over the progression this way. Pseudo-Survival choice maybe?

8 hours ago, VidarNL said:

Oh and why can't I sell guns anywhere? Or does is that possible further on in the game?

No, guns you find are for scraps, for parts to craft mods. 💩

"Crafting" in the video game industry has gone WAY overboard. It seems as though it's among the most "checked boxes" in game devs list of "must-haves" if they want to market and sell a game.

11 minutes ago, Xeth Nyrrow said:

I think not selling guns was an intentional design decision to make sure you don't get too much money. On the buying side, it's more of a control to make sure you don't get better weapons too early for progression purposes.

My thoughts as well...

I would have figured they could have had shops with very worn-out firearms, extravagant prices.. but, this was maybe a part they felt they could cut out of the game and save on some dev time. That, or it's thematic; small villages like these wouldn't have gun markets.. these are fishermen, villagers.. etc..

I get it, but it feels a little cheap, especially for the JA2 crowd who's grown quite fond of the idea of ordering a gun online. 😁

I would have liked to see something like an used guns e-store, like some kind of "play" on ebay for guns. 'Cause in 2001, I used to buy stuff from ebay regularly.

image.png.4a242cf20900e4d13a6fef2c7bc23477.png

I really liked the game so far, but I just got to Fleatown and the market is really disappointing. I don't even mind that the selection of guns and ammo is very basic, but the interface (or lack thereof) is just a really odd design choice. When I loot items from bodies and containers I can preview all of them and make an informed decision about what to keep, but when I have to pay money, then the loot/inventory screen is not shown? Why???? I really would like to know the stats and mods of a gun before I buy it.  

I hope the devs can fix that soon. Just show the loot/inventory screen and charge the money for the stuff I take once the screen is closed. This isn't a good solution by any means (I would like a proper shop interface), but at least I can preview stuff before buying it.  

I couldn't believe how they did the shops.  I clicked on one, trying to interact with the vendor, nothing happened, clicked again, and I guess I bought whatever they were selling.  Since I don't wear glasses to play games, this happened a couple of times before I realized what they had done.  In short, the vendors are incredibly lame.  Something you might find in a 1980's game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cailic said:

I couldn't believe how they did the shops.  I clicked on one, trying to interact with the vendor, nothing happened, clicked again, and I guess I bought whatever they were selling.  Since I don't wear glasses to play games, this happened a couple of times before I realized what they had done.  In short, the vendors are incredibly lame.  Something you might find in a 1980's game.

The same happened to me, except I was wearing glasses, they don't seem to help 😉

Shop UI/UX is awful: no description, no confirmation, lots of running and clicking just to see what goods are available.

Edited by sandman25dcsss