Do night vision goggles work?

Icthusey

In the previous JA games there’s like an illuminated circle of your merc’s field of vision at night. With night vision goggles that expands so you know he can see further.

in JA3, I can’t tell if they’re any use. I can’t trigger any interrupts with or without them. 

Myself i didnt see or feel a significant difference yet (maybe also needs balancing), as my IMP has Night Ops + the googles on at night.

The only thing i know once you got on your night vision google you are very open to fatal headshots, Slave Master Graf can sniping also heads off from far distance.

As far as I know the only thing night vision googles achieve is to remove the night time penalty when aiming. Admittedly, it is a significant penalty but your vision range does not extend due to equipping the googles.

They really need to make gas masks and night vision googles attachable to helmet (one per helmet).

10 minutes ago, Melliores said:

As far as I know the only thing night vision googles achieve is to remove the night time penalty when aiming. Admittedly, it is a significant penalty but your vision range does not extend due to equipping the googles.

They really need to make gas masks and night vision googles attachable to helmet (one per helmet).

As a heavy user of night vision I can confirm that it indeed removes the penalty for aiming at night, which is the entire point of using night vision.

Nights aren't as dark as they used to be, and with enough intel (and having Livewire with you) you can actually see all enemies on the entire map. There would be no point in having any kind of illuminated circle around you. Although, if you really want to, you can attach a flashlight to your gun.

That aside, a bit more variety for equipment would be very much appreciated. As you say, there's no reason why I can't put a helmet on a gas mask. Or why I can't have something on my eyes, while the helmet protects the head. It's not like the helmets come with a face mask or anything, aside from the Deathsquad Helmet that is.

And maybe ballistic goggles, actual camo kits, tactical earbuds, maybe the Spectra Gear for good protection for lower weight or more modern night vision options (like the fusion night vision that was available in the 2000's). Having only 3 slots for body equipment is a tad bit too limited in my opinion.

7 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

Myself i didnt see or feel a significant difference yet (maybe also needs balancing), as my IMP has Night Ops + the googles on at night.

They do not stack.

NVG's reduce the night-time penalties, they do it by the same amount as the perk.

9 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

You might want to put on some helmet instead, or even better, a gas mask.

image.png.17637b585204fb1056a7dbb86ba9ebef.png

• Like 1

Yes. Night Visiong Goggles only seem to remove the attack penalty during the night time or when you're underground, but it doesn't affect anything else and if it does I've barely noticed. As mentioned above, if your merc has the Night Ops perk, there is no reason for them to ever wear NVGs.

15 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

The only thing i know once you got on your night vision google you are very open to fatal headshots, Slave Master Graf can sniping also heads off from far distance.

as far as i know night ops and googles dont stack.

15 hours ago, Icthusey said:

In the previous JA games there’s like an illuminated circle of your merc’s field of vision at night. With night vision goggles that expands so you know he can see further.

in JA3, I can’t tell if they’re any use. I can’t trigger any interrupts with or without them. 

Night vision in this game reduces penalty for night battles or underground battles. I have all my mercs equipped it all times and never felt any significance when only merc who doesnt use it makes a shot.

• 1 month later...

In the previous Jagged Alliance games, there was a feature where your mercenary's field of vision was depicted as an illuminated circle during nighttime. This circle would expand when using night vision goggles, indicating an increased range of visibility.

However, in Jagged Alliance 3, it seems that this feature might not be functioning as expected. Players are having difficulty triggering interrupts with or without night vision goggles. It's possible that there could be a bug or an issue with the game's mechanics in this regard.

If you're finding night vision goggles to be ineffective in Jagged Alliance 3, you might want to consider checking the game's forums or community discussions to see if other players are experiencing similar problems. Alternatively, you could reach out to the game's developers or support team to report the issue and inquire about potential solutions or updates.

• Like 1