Question about wounds and first aid on a merc..

Mordante

You have to manually bandage mercenaries who got wounded after battle. I sometimes forgot about it for a few minutes but unless you have received the bleeding state it shouldn't matter too much.
Other than reducing your overall HP I haven't noticed any other negative effects from receiving wounds but to be honest, I didn't pay attention to it too much. 😄

5 minutes ago, J1v1n said:

You have to manually bandage mercenaries who got wounded after battle. I sometimes forgot about it for a few minutes but unless you have received the bleeding state it shouldn't matter too much.
Other than reducing your overall HP I haven't noticed any other negative effects from receiving wounds but to be honest, I didn't pay attention to it too much. 😄

Thanks for the pointers but what does first aid do when applied to a merc?

Bandaging only gains back a certain amount of HP without any further remnant for the bandaged part. Some wounds though can't be fully bandaged which is indicated by a slimmer black health bar and need to be treated by someone with medical skill on the strategical view through an operation. Once the operation has been finished your mercenary is 100 % fresh again. So far, I haven't seen any negative permanent status effects due to wounds (e. g. loss of attribute points) like there were in Jagged Alliance 2 for example. 🤓

18 minutes ago, J1v1n said:

You have to manually bandage mercenaries who got wounded after battle.

You don't actually have to do it, they will recover after ~2h of time depending on how injured they were, and all persistent effects end immediately at the end of combat (not even clearing a sector, your wounds stop bleeding the moment there is no enemies alive who believe you should be bleeding).

Just now, Mordante said:

Thanks for the answers everyone but this leads me to another question what's the difference between a first aid kit and a medical kit? In the JA2 you could only heal using a kit but that's covered by meds now.

Both do the same job, health and medical mechanics are dumbed down to a "minor" inconvenience in this game.

2 hours ago, Mordante said:

What effect do wounds (if any) have apart from reducing max health and what does first aid do to a character?

Also do you have to apply first aid to a merc when combat ends or do they automatically heal?

- Wounds have absolutely no effect outside of reducing your maximum health by 10 points per wound.

- Mercs don't immediately heal lost health points after the combat ends, but all negative effects (bleeding and such) will cease the moment the last enemy keeping you in turn based combat dies.

- Health will slowly fill up to the current maximum even if you don't bandage wounds. It even happens while traversing on the map if you allow the passage of time. Or you can bandage a merc and regain lost health points immediately.

- All wounds heal automatically over time as well if you just hang out at any sector and let the time pass. But it is a lot slower than using the medical skill through the operations menu. You can also do R & R. I believe it speeds up the healing period for wounds, but not by much compared to just letting your mercs rest.

- Using the medical skill will heal all wounds and return every patient to 100% health after the operation has run its course.

All in all medical has been kind of a useless skill to have. It only matters if you're in a hurry and can't take it slow. I suppose there are medical checks during some conversations too or interactables that require medical skill, but I haven't ran into any as far as I'm aware. You can bandage wounds with 0 medical too. There's a treshold, which I believe is 30 points in the skill, which if you're below you're not allowed to do medical operations from the operations menu.

Edited by BossWeapons
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just remembered about older JA titles..
Mimimi-merc got hit accidentantly by an item, thrown by one teammate to help out.
Merc got one (! 1 !) Wound. Forgot 1st aid kit at 'home'.
Unlucky mimimi-merc died on the way back to 'home', because there was no cure to find.

Im right or is it a false memory..? 😄

JA3 is a actually more a Action-based- or almost a Terminator Game compared to this story : D

Sparing some reloads..

Edited by 5Cents

3 hours ago, BossWeapons said:

- Wounds have absolutely no effect outside of reducing your maximum health by 10 points per wound.

- Mercs don't immediately heal lost health points after the combat ends, but all negative effects (bleeding and such) will cease the moment the last enemy keeping you in turn based combat dies.

- Health will slowly fill up to the current maximum even if you don't bandage wounds. It even happens while traversing on the map if you allow the passage of time. Or you can bandage a merc and regain lost health points immediately.

- All wounds heal automatically over time as well if you just hang out at any sector and let the time pass. But it is a lot slower than using the medical skill through the operations menu. You can also do R & R. I believe it speeds up the healing period for wounds, but not by much compared to just letting your mercs rest.

- Using the medical skill will heal all wounds and return every patient to 100% health after the operation has run its course.

All in all medical has been kind of a useless skill to have. It only matters if you're in a hurry and can't take it slow. I suppose there are medical checks during some conversations too or interactables that require medical skill, but I haven't ran into any as far as I'm aware. You can bandage wounds with 0 medical too. There's a treshold, which I believe is 30 points in the skill, which if you're below you're not allowed to do medical operations from the operations menu.

wait, what? 😲😆

wounds heal over time??

I always healed everyone up after a battle, so sometimes I was running quite low on meds...

3 hours ago, BossWeapons said:

can you clarify this please? Are you saying that if I use medical skill during the battle on a wounded soldier, he will be full health with 0 wounds after battle? Because I have a different experience.

Thanks 🙂

17 minutes ago, username55 said:

wait, what? 😲😆

wounds heal over time??

I always healed everyone up after a battle, so sometimes I was running quite low on meds...

can you clarify this please? Are you saying that if I use medical skill during the battle on a wounded soldier, he will be full health with 0 wounds after battle? Because I have a different experience.

Thanks 🙂

he is talking about SAT OP which you conduct from MAP menu.

1 hour ago, 5Cents said:

I just remembered about older JA titles..
Mimimi-merc got hit accidentantly by an item, thrown by one teammate to help out.
Merc got one (! 1 !) Wound. Forgot 1st aid kit at 'home'.
Unlucky mimimi-merc died on the way back to 'home', because there was no cure to find.

This happened to me as well (except the dying part). When I had set up everything for my assault, noticed that Barry could use an extra mag, threw it, only to watch it hit Barry's head and him saying "Ouch" while a little -1 hovered over his head - that's when I knew this was a very special game.

3 hours ago, username55 said:

Thanks 🙂

As @Skaldy mentioned above, I'm talking about the Operations menu action in Sat View, where you can have one merc as a doctor and then fill the patient roster with mercs with wounds. It will heal everybody to 100% and take care of any and all wounds.

If you're running low on meds, you don't have to use first aid on wounded mercs after battle to fill their health. They will heal up to the maximum allowed health on their own over the next few in game hours. It's often a good idea to not waste meds on mercs with only one wound and only heal everyone up after you're done taking care of a bigger operation. I find it saves both time and resources.

Naturally though, if you don't save scum, it is alot more dangerous to take wounded mercs to combat.

Edited by BossWeapons